Quantcast

hey . . . look over there . . . it's LEOGANG, mutha fuggers!

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I'm just insanely impressed that 1st go he turned the dials the right way. Brake lever throw out is mtb' version of the USB port to me. Turn it one way and it's wrong, turn it the other way and it's wrong, turn it the way you turned it the first time and get it right.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I wished they would either ban 29ers or make them compulsory. At least that way the commentators would stfu about them.

Hearing the Leogang broadcast, you'd think that wheel size is the only factor affecting race results. Could we please devote equal time to discussing the usage of Horst Links, alloy nipples and carbon vs aluminum?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I wished they would either ban 29ers or make them compulsory. At least that way the commentators would stfu about them.
How else are they going to move product? Soon you will all be wondering why you aren't on 29" wheels too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Okay everybody, Flo33 has reached out to me to apologize for his faux pas. I'm going to sanitize the thread but know that the reaction has been noted by him and I honestly think he knows he done wrong. Please no more posts on the subject.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Okay everybody, Flo33 has reached out to me to apologize for his faux pas. I'm going to sanitize the thread but know that the reaction has been noted by him and I honestly think he knows he done wrong. Please no more posts on the subject.
Glad he apologized to the person who isn't Japanese...but I'm sure he's totally sorry

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If you can't manage to ride a hardtail down a DH race track you certainly won't ever be racing a WC

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Approx. 4:10 for the run though!!!! :o
Only a minute slower than Gwin's winning time. Mad respect!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That is a reflection on both Mr Atwil's bike handling and the state of the course haha. I'll be damned if I'd try and ride a dirt jumper down even our local DH courses. To be able to a quickish run down a WC track is pretty amazeballs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@iRider My not really was at "Mad respect"

sorry.

it was dry. it's mainly ruts n berms in every corner Dirt jump tyres would have been fine.
On a 3 minute track 40seconds off your DH bike times on a hardtail isn't actually all that impressive
A big hardtail train like (the original idea) would have been way more fun to watch.

Do you guys not have DJ bikes or something?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
On a 3 minute track 40seconds off your DH bike times on a hardtail isn't actually all that impressive
I'd be more than 40 seconds off Gwin's time on my DH bike most likely.

A big hardtail train like (the original idea) would have been way more fun to watch.
Feck yeah. I hope Atwil's sponsors gave him some free beer just for the extra coverage he got doing his run.

They won't sell me one. Apparently no one wants to see me in skin-tight jeans.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

sorry.

it was dry. it's mainly ruts n berms in every corner Dirt jump tyres would have been fine.

I have a DJ bike. And sure, I could ride it down Live Wire (the A-Line clone at NorthStar) but I doubt I could get it down any of the rough trails without thoroughly trashing myself and the bike. Watch the helmet cam footage and tell me that 80% of that track didn't look like the A-Line knock off at your local DH spot.

The whole point of dedicated DH trails is to have somewhere to ride the burliest, fastest bikes on the gnarliest, fastest trails. If you can send it on you DJ bike it's not a legit DH trail.

BTW there's a hardtail category at the Sea Otter DH but that's cause the track is stupid easy. That's not the way the World Cup needs to go. Just rename it the UCI Bike Park Big Bermz n' Jumps World Cup if that's what you are going for. And seriously, why make a mostly groomed track with a huge danger jump at the bottom that almost killed one of the world's best riders. Seems stupid to me.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
On order to get more people to watch these races they need to gain the interest of non bikers and the people who think they mtb because they ride a bike to the bar with knobby tires.

With a track like this they can film longer sections from one vantage point or with a cable cam the non bike people can see the size of the jumps and wall rides to gain their interest in the sport compared to a darkly lit gnarly steep section that most people here want to see. Who hasn't watched a video of a trail thinking you will tear it up just to ride it and are shocked how steep and nasty it is in person.

It's all about more money

Think of it as a dentist course

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
@cecil ... I'd be very curious to see the viewer stats for these races. Your argument breaks down when you consider that the highest viewership of any mtb event annually (and videos afterwards for that matter) is probably redbull rampage... with Cam Zink doing a 360 and backflip or whatever off a 60ft drop.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

sorry.

Gary you realize that bike also had DJ Tires and you also use that knobby thing on your tires to slow down in specific sections? It's also a DJ bike not one of those silly freeride hardtails so it's not too stable at speed. Lastly you realize that it was hist FIRST run on the track. So there are a few more variables. You seriously make it sound like you suggest Phil isn't a good rider and he should have done better/you would have done better.

I really wonder what impresses you Gary.

As for the complaining about the tracks getting easier. In 2006 we had both Willingen (easier than Leo with no tech sections, plus super short) and that Brasilian Track.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Gary you realize that bike also had DJ Tires and you also use that knobby thing on your tires to slow down in specific sections? It's also a DJ bike not one of those silly freeride hardtails so it's not too stable at speed. Lastly you realize that it was hist FIRST run on the track. So there are a few more variables. You seriously make it sound like you suggest Phil isn't a good rider and he should have done better/you would have done better.

I really wonder what impresses you Gary.

As for the complaining about the tracks getting easier. In 2006 we had both Willingen (easier than Leo with no tech sections, plus super short) and that Brasilian Track.
Dude have you been paying attention lately?
Gary can out e-ride pretty much everyone on the interwebs on his 1975 cyclocross rig.

Nothing impresses him anymore. Hes pretty much the Shania Twain of the mountainbike world.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Dude have you been paying attention lately?
Gary can out e-ride pretty much everyone on the interwebs on his 1975 cyclocross rig.

Nothing impresses him anymore. Hes pretty much the Shania Twain of the mountainbike world.
I'm pretty sure he appreciates this song since it's old.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Is that song old already? :blink:

Yes. @norbar having ridden DJ bikes for over 2 decades I realise how they (and their tyres handle).
I've been riding baldy tyred little hardtails down super technical stuff and fast DH since before the dude was born so probably do know a thing or two about their limitations. I'd sincerely hope he could beat me on any descent using the same bike as me... you know... being younger than my eldest kid and it being his job an all. I love watching Phil Atwill ride. He's got amazing skills, He's wild, exciting to watch and often takes interesting lines. Just not that run. I understand perfectly well why he took a safe run down tho.
Stop making shit up to back up your own stupid opinion of me.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Is that song old already? :blink:

Yes. @norbar having ridden DJ bikes for over 2 decades I realise how they (and their tyres handle).
I've been riding baldy tyred little hardtails down super technical stuff and fast DH since before the dude was born so probably do know a thing or two about their limitations. I'd sincerely hope he could beat me on any descent using the same bike as me... you know... being younger than my eldest kid and it being his job an all. I love watching Phil Atwill ride. He's got amazing skills, He's wild, exciting to watch and often takes interesting lines. Just not that run. I understand perfectly well why he took a safe run down tho.
Stop making shit up to back up your own stupid opinion of me.
Gary I'm joking with love. Good vibes here. It was a safe run but he was still pretty fast on bikepark sections for a small dj bike. I know pro dj guys who would hit those park lines slower. That's all. Plus it's good that he did it. Not that anything will change since Leogang has the money to host the event so it will be hosted there. Little will probably change since the farmers actually use their fields around the track so building something new will be difficult despite there being awesome terrain in the forrest.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
@cecil ... I'd be very curious to see the viewer stats for these races. Your argument breaks down when you consider that the highest viewership of any mtb event annually (and videos afterwards for that matter) is probably redbull rampage... with Cam Zink doing a 360 and backflip or whatever off a 60ft drop.
I'm not sure what you mean by "that's where your argument breaks down" because that's the point I'm trying to make the easier it is for simpletons to watch more will watch

Redbull rampage has complete top to bottom coverage for every run, you can see how high and narrow the spines are at the top of the course the 70' canyon gap the way it's filmed you get to see a better perspective of difficulty

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@norbar No. nothing will change.
If you remember Willingen. you might remember Chris Ball (now EWS main man). Rode down the Willingen track at that race you mention with no top and the word "PANTS" drawn on his chest. in "protest"

@iRider I just bought a new 4X/DJ hardtail. Very nearly bought a Propain 4Bidden.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm not sure what you mean by "that's where your argument breaks down" because that's the point I'm trying to make the easier it is for simpletons to watch more will watch

Redbull rampage has complete top to bottom coverage for every run, you can see how high and narrow the spines are at the top of the course the 70' canyon gap the way it's filmed you get to see a better perspective of difficulty
Rampage has pretty shitty coverage to be honest. Connection is bad and you see most of the action from very far off. The reason people watch it is because it's impressive. Not because of where the cameras are

@Gary The only possible change would be if DH was freed from UCI. That whole DH1 series gave me hope (before it colapsed) but yeah as long as UCI does it few venues can afford to host a WC race. Hell even on the local level we have alternating good and shit tracks because it's hard to host a race

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
This is what happens when you force Warner into sobriety.
On screen sobriety, sure. Off screen? Not so much

Edit: Still fully sick tho, and despite the Redbull enforced mandated supported professionalism, probably the best commentator we've got.

By a long shot.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The only possible change would be if DH was freed from UCI. That whole DH1 series gave me hope (before it colapsed) but yeah as long as UCI does it few venues can afford to host a WC race.
Massively agree

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think a few more stops added to the cranworx series would help present a competitor to the UCI DH, I thought that redbull owned the crankworx series? Or is it it's own entity?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
On screen sobriety, sure. Off screen? Not so much

Edit: Still fully sick tho, and despite the Redbull enforced mandated supported professionalism, probably the best commentator we've got.

By a long shot.
I once found a yt channel filled with warners private antics. I wish I didn't see it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think a few more stops added to the cranworx series would help present a competitor to the UCI DH, I thought that redbull owned the crankworx series? Or is it it's own entity?
It's it's own entity as far as I know but the tracks have not been amazing for CWX. The fact they had it in L2A in Yurp for so long speaks a lot about their reasoning since L2A was a shitty venue.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
This seems to come up all the time.

"This course is so easy I could ride it on a hardtail!"

"This course is so easy I could ride it on an enduro bike"

"This course is so easy I bet I would WIN on an enduro bike"

And then the rider on the DH bike inevitably wins.

Because downhill bikes are really fucking good at going downhill.

Just because some dude can schralp whistler on a hardtail doesn't mean I'd rather watch a video of them doing it than a video of Remy hucking his meat on a DH bike.

Most trails can be ridden quickly on a hardtail. For some reason people seem to think that riding on a hardtail automatically tacks on like 12 minutes to your run.

Thing is though, an easy bike park course like Leogang is still a downhill trail, its still built for and ridden fastest with downhill bikes, and everybody was on the same course. It just values bike handling technique and a comfort with high speed rather than making sneaky line choices.

Every trail being about the steepest sneaky line choices possible would be somewhat as boring as watching cairne....nah not that bad, but having a mix is for sure a good thing. Plus, getting to watch them ride for more than a corner or two because of more open space didn't suck either.