Quantcast

Hey Midget, what do you think about...

zibbler

Monkey
running on a treadmill? Is it better than on pavement. I have a treadmill that I walk on, and did try running on it, but it still felt a little hard. Keep in mind I'm not a runner. Just curious, cuz damn it's too hot to go ouside and run right now. It won't get much cooler here for a couple more months.

Poser

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Calgary, AB
I always found that a flat treadmill was hard on my knee's. Now given I have had 2 operations and was in a wheel chair for 3 months because of it, and I was a REALLY FAT ARSE!

I thought I better start again as winter is coming and I wont be able to bike to try the treadmill again, and low and behold it is much easier then I thought it was going to be, still hurt the knees but not nearly as bad.

But I found if I increased the incline it was much easier on the legs and knees. You might to give that a shot.

Of course was it the incline that helped or the 50lbs that I lost this summer????? ohh well anyways give it a shot, it might help some.

Kosin Trouble

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by zibbler
running on a treadmill? Is it better than on pavement. I have a treadmill that I walk on, and did try running on it, but it still felt a little hard. Keep in mind I'm not a runner. Just curious, cuz damn it's too hot to go ouside and run right now. It won't get much cooler here for a couple more months.
Different, but not better for you. Not necessarily worse either. If you compare the impact on a treadmill to that of running on asphault, the treadmill is a softer surface and therefore easier on the bones and joints as far as overall impact goes, but it does change your stride to the point where some people become more susceptible to shin-splints. Your leg turnover will be different on a treadmill, and you'll use some different muscles than you'll use running outside, but treadmill running is definitely a decent substitute if weather is prohibitive.

Just curious though - Have you tried running in the early morning or just before sunset to avoid some of the heat?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Running on a treadmill is OK but hard to keep commited to... too boring! But... to build them there calve muscles you can speed walk on a serious incline for 30 minutes at 80% of maximum puke. Being outside is alway more fun! :D

Still running in humidy it the WORST. I do it but I do not like it. I'll run in any weather. My ultra is this Saturday, we are likely to experience showers and moderate temps. Will be cold and windy at the summit but... it won't be humid! :thumb:

When I was married, porky and about to be thrown back... 203 LBS at 5ft7...:dead: I decided to get fit. I lost about 35LBS doing the treadmill thing for a year. It worked but it sucked. I have been fairly active with running and cycling for the last 6 or 7 years, my physical strength improved each year - especially my endurance. It all started on the treadmill so I say better that than nothing! :thumb:

zibbler

Monkey
Thanks for the tips everyone. Yeah, running on a treadmill is pretty boring. I figure if I get started on the treadmill now, by the time it cools down I can enjoy being outside and have a headstart on my fitness level. I would try to get out early but can't for 2 reasons - I have 3 kids to get out of bed and make sure they're ready for school on time, and the humidity is worse in the morning than later in the day. The big difference is you don't have the heat of the sun beating on you in the morning, but you'll drown in your own sweat with an average of 80% humidity. :dead:

The other option is an evening run, but it's still pretty warm then, and I'm tired and lacking motivation by evening. Still, I may recruit my husband and try some evening runs.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I can't run period. I hate every second of it. Find it obscenely boring and well lets just say I don't. I sprint when the need arrises but I will never ever JOG.

That said when I was doing a massive amount of x-training to burn calories I included treadmill work often. Once every 4 aerobic workouts. Having issues with shin splints and knee problems this was the only way I could pull it off.

Still I would rather have a cyclomic device. I can't remember the name but it is the one where your feet move in an oval. I would kill to be able to afford one :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good news tonight! 4 one mile repeats all at sub 7 minute miles! This is a first for me ever... I usually get all under 7:20 but tonight I was on FIRE. No particular reason, as an endurance runner short distance sprinting is not my thing.

This Saturday I am running the Cle Elum Ridge 50K; one of the two toughest trail ultras in the PNW. I dug out a picture of me taken in May while running the McDonald Forest 50K (the other tough one) in Oregon. This is midway through and I am in the zone... on an ultra it takes me 6 miles to warm up. I'm zoned by mile 8 and keep it through mile 20 or so... I hit the wall by mile 26 but always save enough to make a strong 1/2 mile sprint to the finish. See how happy I am? Ack - what a goon. :D

zibbler

Monkey
I decided I would just do some power walking on the treadmill. Seemed to work well. I dit it today and only lasted about 25 minutes. (did I mention I'm really outta shape?). I went an average of about 3.5 mph at a 6% grade. Worked up a good sweat and felt the cardio effects. Of course now my calves are sore. :rolleyes:

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by Serial Midget

When I was married, porky and about to be thrown back... 203 LBS at 5ft7...:dead: I decided to get fit. I lost about 35LBS doing the treadmill thing for a year. It worked but it sucked. I have been fairly active with running and cycling for the last 6 or 7 years, my physical strength improved each year - especially my endurance. It all started on the treadmill so I say better that than nothing! :thumb:
I didn't realize we had such an expert among us. I used Tae Bo to keep the winter weight off last year, but I'd like to spend more time running this winter. What did you find to be most effective for weight loss - short distance sprints, slow long distance running, or a combination of both? Also, what shoes do you find to be the best for comfort, support, and durability?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well a good shoe is the one that fits you best, you'll probably go through several brands before you find the one you like. Trail running shoes are different than road running shoes, stiffer and more aggressive tread. The best way to keep weight off is endurance... slow twitch running. But for the most fun and satifaction you'll want a few fast runs too.

Your area is a wonderful place for trail running... I love running through the woods in the rain - there is no one there and I have the place to myself... joy.

The shoes I currently favor are Aesic Gel Sahara - about $75.00 US and good for 600 trail miles.

I am off the Cle Elum for my 50K event this weekend but if you have anymore ? I'll be bakc on Monday. I am a big promoter of trail running - so much more pleasant than running on the road.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

I am off the Cle Elum for my 50K event this weekend but if you have anymore ? I'll be bakc on Monday. I am a big promoter of trail running - so much more pleasant than running on the road.
good luck!

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
The best way to keep weight off is endurance... slow twitch running.

Your area is a wonderful place for trail running... I love running through the woods in the rain - there is no one there and I have the place to myself... joy.

I was afraid you'd say that. I've got way too many fast twitch muscles - built for speed, not endurance. I used to run a lot of track in school, and it was always sprints. Long distance running is really hard for me. Oh well, I'll just dust off the ole MP3 player and tough it out.

Yes, living in North Van gives me easy access to amazing trails. I'm very lucky.

Good luck this weekend!! I can't believe you're running that distance. 25k is about as far as I've ever run, and that almost killed me :rolleyes: