Quantcast

Hey Shocksperts

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Just the resi. At least that is how they used to be. I changed the oil in one once and it worked fine, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Repack
Just the resi. At least that is how they used to be. I changed the oil in one once and it worked fine, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Not taking it apart it came apart by itself, the endcap on the main chamber that the piston goes through unscrewed itself a bit, and it let all of the oil out. When you changed the oil, does there have to be a certain amount above the internal piston, or just one amount for the whole chamber

Don

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Not taking it apart it came apart by itself, the endcap on the main chamber that the piston goes through unscrewed itself a bit, and it let all of the oil out. When you changed the oil, does there have to be a certain amount above the internal piston, or just one amount for the whole chamber

Don
I'll tell you what to do if you delete that absolutely retarded Karpiel/Ferrari analogy in your signature.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
there is a piston in the resevior, nitrogen is on one side, the oil is on the other. Opening the shock up anywhere will let out this charge. The fluid is under pressure, so anywhere you open it, fluid will probably come out, untill the nitrogen pressure is gone.

sounds like you need to send it into fox?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
It unscrewed itself and let the oil out here, i didnt mess with the reservior, so would i still have to send it in, or just put in oil
First off, let me say that when I did it, I had no idea what I was doing (it was like 5 years ago) and a friend told me that there was no problem.
Since you shock is already blown, I guess you can't break anything any worse.
I clamped 1 eye in a vise so that your intreaded end was pointed up. Make sure the shaft is all the way topped-out. Fill it all the was up with oil. Slowly lower the shaft/rebound damper back in. Oil will overflow. It is difficult to do it without trapping any air inside.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
tell me :devil:
I'm telling you up front the one's i've done are the old RX shocks and the plain ole vanilla RCs. Propedal and pushification are outdside my realm of experience.

BUT......With the old shocks, there is nothing but a little air bladder in the piggyback.....like JM said. All you had to do was fill the main chamber up, bleed the overfill (kind of trial and error until the bearing threads back in fully and tightly with the shaft compressed) and then depending on what fitting is underneath the little plastic cap on the reservoir, pressurize the thing. I've always had access to nitrogen with work so I've always used this. Drier the better. Air is mostly nitrogen so on the old systems, I'd say that should be fine. I have no idea what Push does if anything within that reservoir though. The old shocks used either a shrader type valve or a needle insert to pressurize. You can do this with a tank and regulator pretty easily if you have the right fittings. All in all it's almost exactly like the system in the right leg of your WB fork. The old shocks I mean.

I would call Push tomorrow aind out what wt/brand oil they put in there and ask them if self service is possible. I'm sure he'll tell you no but I would be willing to bet that there's not too much of a difference in straight up assembly, even with their high zoot parts. The thing still needs oil and must be reassembled the same way.

I know that was of limited value so you can put your Karpiel self justification quote back.;) :D :D

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by kidwoo

I know that was of limited value so you can put your Karpiel self justification quote back.;) :D :D
na, im too lazy to re-type it. But if i never touched the nitrogen area, and only that endcap the shaft goes through was un-done, would i need to re-charge the nitro. In a way the topcap on my Dh2.0 is like that endcap on the fox, if you unscrew the topcap on my fork, the nitro reservior doesnt loose any pressure. So does my nitro thing on my shock still have pressure?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
na, im too lazy to re-type it. But if i never touched the nitrogen area, and only that endcap the shaft goes through was un-done, would i need to re-charge the nitro. In a way the topcap on my Dh2.0 is like that endcap on the fox, if you unscrew the topcap on my fork, the nitro reservior doesnt loose any pressure. So does my nitro thing on my shock still have pressure?
Sorry I should have clarified. A standard Vanilla RC is like the LOWER part of the right leg of your fork. Take off your upper (mentally of course) tube of your fork, end cap and all. You'd be holding a larger version of a rear shock body minus the spring. The main shaft on your RC is like the damper rod in your fork. The reservoirs serve similar purposes in that there is a separate, pressurized gas chamber that exerts a force on the oil system. This keeps bubbles from forming and also helps return oil to the main chamber on rebound (although the spring in each system will do the same as the damper rod returns to uncompressed position).

In the RC it is (was?) a flexible bladder that held the gas. In your fork it's a plastic movable piston. When each system is compressed, (damper rod/main shaft goes in) the oil that is displaced by the incoming rod moves into the piggy back/external reservoir and takes up some of the space of the reservoir by reducing the volume of the gas chamber. That's also why your compression damping sits at the "entrance" to the piggy back. It's here that you can damp compression by slowing how fast the oil enters that reservoir.

Both systems will want to depressurize if breached. The quickest way to do this without interfering with the air chamber itself is to spit out oil. That's what happened to you. Your system is now depressurized so yes you will need to recharge it. Again, I have no idea if that pressure changes once the platform valving gets installed. Find that pressure out from Push.

If you want help visualizing the whole system, look at an avalanche here

The bladder setup is similar, the oil just goes through a hose to reach the reservoir.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Send the shock back to push get it fixed, then while its being repaired call Craig and order an Avalanche, then you'll have the Push shock as a back up.:D
Zedro may be some remote server in the Yukon Territory, but at least he has different outputs for varying modeling scenarios.:rolleyes: ;)

Don, this is the shock you JUST got right?

Could we have the first negative review of Push performance on our hands?

"The performance of the shock was fantastic. It would have been even better if they had actually screwed the bearing cap assembly into the shock body":D :D