Quantcast

Hey What the hell is going down in Liberia?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I open today's LA times and all is see is people getting smoked and analysts saying that we were getting in too late to do anything without military action. Does this mean we're going into Africa now? By the way a friend just got back from Iraq a month ago...and is now going back...ain't that a son of a bitch?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Dog Welder
I open today's LA times and all is see is people getting smoked and analysts saying that we were getting in too late to do anything without military action. Does this mean we're going into Africa now? By the way a friend just got back from Iraq a month ago...and is now going back...ain't that a son of a bitch?
Sally Struthers took hold of all the food again, and we're sending in the Marines to pry the last box of twinkies from here cellulite curdled hands.
Seems some poor natives saw her golden hair and decided that she was the SunGod, while other natives simply dismissed her as the morbidly obiese old hag that she is.
A pretty bad situation me thinks.:(

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Sally Struthers took hold of all the food again, and we're sending in the Marines to pry the last box of twinkies from here cellulite curdled hands.
Seems some poor natives saw her golden hair and decided that she was the SunGod, while other natives simply dismissed her as the morbidly obiese old hag that she is.
A pretty bad situation me thinks.:(
:rolleyes:

OK it actually was pretty funny. I used to love the skit where she was stuffing cake into her mouth asking people to feed the children. Wasn't that on SNL?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Dog Welder
Does this mean we're going into Africa now? By the way a friend just got back from Iraq a month ago...and is now going back...ain't that a son of a bitch?
Since when has there been oil in Liberia:rolleyes: ;) Actually though it raises a valid point. What kind of responsibility do the former colonial powers have to fix problems in their former colonies. Now I understand Liberia isn't exactly a former colony of the US but I think you get my drift.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by valve bouncer
Since when has there been oil in Liberia:rolleyes: ;) Actually though it raises a valid point. What kind of responsibility do the former colonial powers have to fix problems in their former colonies. Now I understand Liberia isn't exactly a former colony of the US but I think you get my drift.
if they're a "former" colonial power, then they don't have any responsibility due to that, but I think all gov'ts with power and influence should get involved in other countries problems. Granted, that's the idea behind the UN, but they've proven themselves impotent, so it's up to the individual countries to help out.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by LordOpie
if they're a "former" colonial power, then they don't have any responsibility due to that
I don't know about no responsibility, I think even the colonial powers wouldn't agree with you there. Using the British as an example I think they have a closer relationship with their former "possesssions" (yeah that means you guys as well;) :D ) than they do with other countries. The fact that almost all former colonies choose to remain members of the Commonwealth (you guys can join too, I think you're eligible) shows that for better or worse colonialism has an enduring effect. Especially in its former Asian and African colonies there is certainly an ambivalence towards Britain, kind of a love/hate relationship. I can perhaps even extend that to my country and Canada or further to the US.
It's an interesting subject and I hope Monkeys will expand on it

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There's a really good article on Liberia in this month's Economist.

MD

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by partsbara
mate, you can t read.. stop pretending :D

parts
It has pictures.

Oh, wait. Damn, that's Hustler, not the Economist.