Quantcast

Hey Zark!!! The Rail Killer...........

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The frankenbike

97 Future Shock Rear Ground control front triangle
Swing link from 2000 Enduro
BETD chainstays (big as most DH swingarms)
Risse seatstays, no welds, all pressed and bolted

Looks green in the pic but also appears black and purple depending on angle of light....hella futuristic.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Head tube ovalized. Plus is was flexy as hell between the bb and headtube. I was seriously getting scared it was going to start disentigrating soon. This one's stiffer and I put in a steelset. Same rear end stuff as I'm sure you noticed.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dude that paint is called "cosmic" that color was dope back in '98!

I had a 1999 team slalom frame with a 2000 Bighit link and a long-stroke Stratos coil-over with lock-out. The rear triangle had a welded on disc tab that was beefcake and it also had full sealed bearings. The big hit link and shock gave just shy of 6" travel and it felt really good. I had it re-powdercoated factory white and I threw in some XT cranks with the batch for the hell of it.I loved it until the HT ovalized and cracked. I even tried a custom oversize lower HS cup from King but eventually the oval got larger. Most people don't know but King sells oversize cups in .002/.004/.006/.008 larger than spec for boogered HT's It can come in really handy...

If link not working try this
http://image04.webshots.com/4/8/89/22/57688922aYStlI_ph.jpg

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
hey, i like this thread.

I've got a '99 sworks salom frame that i'd like to get built up again, but the rear end needs some love. when i got the frame, the setup was terrible. the bb sat at 11.5" and the front end was totally choppered out. it also didn't have disc tabs. the old shock was a 5.5" i2i, so i picked up a 6.5x1.5 for cheap from a buddy (i figured that should bring the bb and HA into reasonable places) and i've got some seatstays with disc mounts (compliments of punkass :thumb: ). i still need chainstays as the old ones are cracked, and am unsure about what to do about the link. should i just keep the old one, or use a longer shock (i have a 7.5x2 on another bike i could switch over) with the bighit link? any advice?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
squarewheels said:
hey, i like this thread.

I've got a '99 sworks salom frame that i'd like to get built up again, but the rear end needs some love. when i got the frame, the setup was terrible. the bb sat at 11.5" and the front end was totally choppered out. it also didn't have disc tabs. the old shock was a 5.5" i2i, so i picked up a 6.5x1.5 for cheap from a buddy (i figured that should bring the bb and HA into reasonable places) and i've got some seatstays with disc mounts (compliments of punkass :thumb: ). i still need chainstays as the old ones are cracked, and am unsure about what to do about the link. should i just keep the old one, or use a longer shock (i have a 7.5x2 on another bike i could switch over) with the bighit link? any advice?
I wouldn't go any longer than a 6.5 shock. If you want to kick up the BB height, get a link from BETD. I had one on another max backbone frame I rode for XC and it did some good. In my opinion anything aftermarket from risse or betd would be an improvement over the stock rear end pieces. Noodles at best.

Hey sean, your link isn't working.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
kidwoo said:
The frankenbike

97 Future Shock Rear Ground control front triangle
Swing link from 2000 Enduro
BETD chainstays (big as most DH swingarms)
Risse seatstays, no welds, all pressed and bolted

Looks green in the pic but also appears black and purple depending on angle of light....hella futuristic.
Man, with a spec like that its only missing one thing!

SHOCKSTER

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Try this link,

http://community.webshots.com/photo/29576547/57688922aYStlI

if it doesn't hyperlink try to cut & paste to the URL window...

I am an old scholl FSR mafioso but I had a brief stray to Kona with my 4 years at Velo Pro and all...

Chaz, I forgot I hooked you up w/that stay! resurrect that bad boy and get some pics up here! I have another stock stay (non disc but there is an adapter available from Speccy) if any wants it for free + shipping...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Nice old ride, one of the better frankenbikes you could have built
I like the BETD stays for it, tire clearance and flex were the only things I didn't like about my old one.

I had a '98 FSR Pro with the MRP link, MRP bearing kit and 8" disc adapter. That bike was awesome, I miss it.

Nice ride Kidwoo, good to see a classic ride :p

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I used to have a '99 FSR Elite w/ MRP linkage, but then it cracked at a weld near the BB shell. It was sweet! (And hand-made). It was the best bike I have ever owned. The bushings acted like SPV.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
hucker13 said:
I used to have a '99 FSR Elite w/ MRP linkage, but then it cracked at a weld near the BB shell. It was sweet! (And hand-made). It was the best bike I have ever owned. The bushings acted like SPV.
Bushing threshold......sweet. I'll keep an eye on the BB. I just stacked the front wheel into a landing about an hour ago on a 20+ foot step up. Headtube is still attached!! Some of the skin on my face however........

I took out the little inserts to the frame that the bushings rotated on. I had to get a reducer machined to get the betd bearing filled stays to work with the bolt they came with. It's so freakin stiff now.

Sean, that ole whitey rules. If I'd known you had that thing I would have been hassling you to sell it!! :blah:

Happy holidays to all old school FSR afficionados!!!!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
punkassean said:
Chaz, I forgot I hooked you up w/that stay! resurrect that bad boy and get some pics up here!
sean- workin on it, slowly but surely. my old ones had the bearing kit installed, so i gotta figure out how to get the bearing out without ruining 'em. since i'm trashing the old stays anyway, i might just cut them out. i sent ya a PM, too.

kidwoo- the stock rear end is annoyingly noodley, but i don't have the coinage for that BETD stay, and won't until the exchange rate drops to a normal level. 130quid = about $250 right now. yikes!

only pic i have of my frame.