Quantcast

Highland Mountain video

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
A few of us New Yorkers made the trip up to New Hampshire this past weekend. I wish I could make it up there more often, as the park gets better and better each time.

Here is a bit of footage I shot.
Click on the HD button to watch in 720p HD.
http://vimeo.com/1518277

If anyone knows how to embed vimeo vids here on RM, please let me know.

Thanks for watching.

-rob

BillWC

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008
Great video, love the Nico (hey kids pay attention: not the bike rider).

Too bad NE Style was closed last weekend, from the way you guys rode you probably would have loved it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
We will be loving the revised NE Style! Hope to make it up there again in a couple weeks.

-r
Great video, love the Nico (hey kids pay attention: not the bike rider).

Too bad NE Style was closed last weekend, from the way you guys rode you probably would have loved it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
rpet, great video! I loved the footage, the style and the music. Very nice. Highland Mountain seems like a nice place!

I'm in California now, and the lush greenery reminded me of the woods I used to ride in Pennsylvania.

What camera did you use for the footage? I've been considering picking up a higher-end consumer video camera. Did you also do any color correction, filtering or anything like that to the footage or is that straight out of the camera?

Btw, I love vimeo. I downloaded the video to my computer (lower right hand side of the page) and watched it in full dh - aweseome.

thanks.

- dump

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
It's shot with a Canon HV20 (new model is the HV30) which is/was the only line of consumer cameras with 24fps progressive, which I use for non-bike filming. I bought the camera for non-bike work primarily, so you should definitely research the best camera for sports filming in your price range. Shooting in low light (woods) and fast action (bikes) can be tough on a itty baby camera like this.

Anyway, I like it a lot, but I'm still learning how to use it...

I did a little bit of coloration and brightness/contrast tweaking is post-production. Just some built in filters in Sony Vegas 8 plus Magic Bullet (an amazing plug-in for color).

cheers

-rob

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hi rpet, thanks for the info. I've had my eye on the hv30 actually :) I also thought I that was magic bullet... it has a certain somewhat signature look to it.

I'm primarily getting it for non-bike filming, but I'm kinda teetering between going the high end consumer (hv30) vs. pro route (hvx-200)... quite a big difference between the two.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
btw, i noticed you posted this

"If anyone has suggestions on how to shoot sports with the HV20, please let me know."

What kinds of issues are you having?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
well get an HVX, no question! (If you can afford one.) That is a real cam! P2 cards are so much easier to deal with. I've been on a number of movie and advert sets using the HVX. The footage from with a 35mm adapter and film prime lenses can be rather beautiful.

On the HV20, the small, cmos censor can have shutter speed trouble with sports. There is definitely more blur than necessary in the footage I shot...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Well, that's the issue really. I can't really afford an HVX... well it would be a bit of a splurge really. I've been spending the last several years learing, researching and taking classes. I'm approaching the point where I'd like to get a camera of my own. The new hvx200a looks like the ticket.

The lighting conditions you were shooting in are pretty difficult for the camera. Relatively dark subject, bright, high-contrast background, no light. What mode did you shoot this in? At 60i, the max the shutter is going to be open is 1/60th (granted, fast motion relative to the frame will still definitely blur at this rate).

Another suggestion is to try to adjust your panning technique so that the motion of the rider relative to the frame is negligible. (This is pretty tough w/o a stabilizer of some sort. A mono-pod might do the trick.)

good stuff.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
i shoot exclusively 24p, because i really hate how 30/60 looks. :)

but of course, that is a stupid hang-up when one is shooting sports, and slow-moing stuff.

I need to get past that little problem of mine.

Yeah the woods were rather dark, and I was having to drop exposure because of the bright sunlight.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's pretty similar, really. About the same steepness, perhaps more drops, fewer trails but the ones that are there are extremely well built. The lodge is so much better than diablo, it's not even funny. they serve reasonably priced beer and food, and it actually seems like mtbers run it.

The lift is really slow, but the berms are always tight. There are a lot of bugs though...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

There are a lot of mountains that distinctly DON'T seem like they're run by people who have even seen a mountain bike.

Last edited: