Quantcast

Hill and Ropelato survive rocky Windham

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Monster Energy Specialized's Sam Hill finished just off the podium this week in a dusty and loose Windham, New York while teammate Mitch Ropelato was 23rd after a good run.</p><p>
</p><p>
The weather all week in Windham was hot and humid, and the track got loose, dusty and rocky by the time race day came around. Massive braking holes had formed on the already rough track, and with riders exceeding 60km/h in the straightaway’s, it was bound to be an exciting afternoon. The track might have been short, but it was relentless top to bottom and any small mistake would cost the riders several positions.</p><p>
</p><p>
Hill had a run that was loose from start to finish, riding like the pre-injury Sam Hill. The Australian's run included a very close encounter with at tree in a high speed wood section when a foot blew off but Hill managed to keep on the bike and get it pointed in the right direction. </p><p>
Sam says, "My run was pretty good. I just tried to hold on and hang it out. I was going fast and I made a few little mistakes. I'm happy with how I rode. I left everything on the table and hung it right out there. It's what I wanted to do." Hill now sits in 6th place in the World Cup overall.</p><p>
</p><p>
Ropelato was thrilled after putting together a clean, safe solid run, which now puts him in 49th place over all, after competing in only 3 World Cup events this season (two with Monster Energy Specialized.)</p><p>
</p><p>
The team now has a few weeks break until heading to Val D'Isere, France for the next round of World Cup racing.</p>

More...