Quantcast

Hill rumoured to be excluded from Australian Champs team

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
As seen on Vital.

Really gutted if it's true, I was hoping he was saving something special for a VDS champs race as a final hurrah before the switch to enduro. At the same time though I guess it would be unfair to occupy a space on the team that would otherwise allow riders with better results this year to compete.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
As seen on Vital.

Really gutted if it's true, I was hoping he was saving something special for a VDS champs race as a final hurrah before the switch to enduro. At the same time though I guess it would be unfair to occupy a space on the team that would otherwise allow riders with better results this year to compete.
It was only inevitable. He's getting up there in age for a downhiller, and Aus has such depth of talent, it was only a matter of time before they gave his spot to one of the younger up-and-comers. Don't count him out just yet though, he had 3 mediocre seasons before he got 2 wins in '13 and 2 in '14. I know I said he's getting old for a downhiller but he is still only 31. And his EWS results show he has the fitness. I think he 100% is capable of another WC DH win. That's what is so great about this sport, so many different people can win at any race. I mean look at Danny, granted he's got age on his side, but he went 5 years between wins. I'm bias though since Sam is my favorite rider. I certainly hope he has another win in him. With all the incredible young riders Aus has, Sam basically left them with no decision to cut him from the team with his results this year.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
That would happen in the USA since we can barely field a full roster.
For reals...kinda sad that we only have one woman to send, albeit Kintner is a damn good one to send. Stoked for Samantha Kingshill tho.

Also a little surprised to not see Binggeli, Aiello, Pitts, Kmetz, Ropelat in the mix. Oh well, with Gwin and Luca on the squad, you'll probably have someone on the box. Brits are loaded as always, and the Frenchies will have a helluva team too - hope Pom Pom will be in attendance!

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That would happen in the USA since we can barely field a full roster.
Cause and Effect.
Right now there is a Jr. on my Facebook page, trying to raise money to pay for his trip to worlds that he rightly qualified for. If USA Cycling does not support even getting their qualified juniors to worlds, no wonder so many quit racing before even going pro.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
C'mon Australia, you are blowing it!
Seems to me if you ever won the rainbow stripes, you should have the opportunity to go every year until you die!

Sammy could always pull an Eli Tomac and "respectfully decline".

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
15 years straight I have represented Australia at the worlds champs. I'm sad to say that this year I won't be there as I didn't make the selection criteria with my results. It's been a frustrating year for me but I will re group and come back stronger. Be decided to skip Andorra and focus on the last 2 Ews rounds. Thanks to my team @chainreactioncycles and all my other sponsors, family, friends and fans for having my back
Sam going full enduro. Going to be a few DH'ers crying in their beer tonight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjK95khM46/?taken-by=samhill13

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well, I'm sure he'll be good at enduro and get some excellent results, but sadly I will not be watching him do that, because enduro is extremely boring to watch, or care about as a spectator.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Cause and Effect.
Right now there is a Jr. on my Facebook page, trying to raise money to pay for his trip to worlds that he rightly qualified for. If USA Cycling does not support even getting their qualified juniors to worlds, no wonder so many quit racing before even going pro.
At the Olympic track cycling the British dominated winning 11 medals. USA won 2. The Brit's had 40 person PAID member coach/support staff (32 million pound budget) . The USA had 1 paid coach for the entire team. Lack of fund is not isolated to Bro Gravity teams.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Maybe I am misreading his post, but isn't He come ng back next year?
Be honest with yourself. When a DH'er with declining results decides to drop out of the remaining DH races to focus on enduro and isn't injured, do you really think their heart is in the DH game and that they'll be back?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Be honest with yourself. When a DH'er with declining results decides to drop out of the remaining DH races to focus on enduro and isn't injured, do you really think their heart is in the DH game and that they'll be back?
Sounds like he might not have been 100% healthy this season. I suggested Vital could do an interview to find out what's up, and they responded saying something to that effect. And if we accept that He has been struggling with injuries, then it's safe to say there's no way He's washed up. He's three years younger than Minaar... there's still life left in the ol' boy... IMHO.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not sure, he has been performing really well on some of the EWS...
FWIW, here's my opinion on EWS v DH... with DH riders have to ride at 100%, or maybe push it beyond their limit. They get time to review, train, and maximise their effort out on the track. They give every little ounce of talent and energy.

With EWS, riders have to stay well within their limits. They can't ride at the limit because they don't know the terrain. It's more raw talent, and pure fitness.

My opinion is that for pure DH, a rider has to be "all there" in the head, whereas in enduro, they can rely more on talent and fitness. If Sam isn't fully in the right head space because of some nagging injury or whatever, it's probably safer to not ride DH.

I know enduro races and rough and require fitness and talent, but I think the margin for error is not as razor thin as in DH, and if you can bring exposure to your sponsors, then maybe its the better option for him for now, while he works on getting his head back in the right place.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe the guy just likes riding and wants more seat time, instead of one fullout blast down the Hill?

I'm of no opinion. It'll be cool to see him at the top again on a regular basis.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i would be #gutted for Sam about this but maybe he's been spending to much time in Canada and is now more worried about spending more time with the #boys in the #zone?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well, I'm sure he'll be good at enduro and get some excellent results, but sadly I will not be watching him do that, because enduro is extremely boring to watch, or care about as a spectator.
Full disclosure, Sven's EWS coverage is more interesting to me than the same DH tracks every year...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Full disclosure, Sven's EWS coverage is more interesting to me than the same DH tracks every year...
Fair enough, just because I find enduro to be as boring as drilling holes in a wild male pig doesn't mean everybody does. Given the amount of entertainment he's given me with some phenomenal DH runs, I wish him the best in his enduro career, and am glad there is a fan base out there to consume media and keep the pro mtb dream alive.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
He's three years younger than Minaar... there's still life left in the ol' boy...
not so sure ANYONE can be compared to MinGNAAAR

Especially where shoulder injuries are concerned

"at Fort Bill at the World Champs I had a good shot of getting on another big team. I had my shoulder all strapped up. I ended up crashing over the bars in the woods, dislocating my shoulder again and breaking the scapula in the process. I still managed to ride into fourth."

60sec after said dislocation???

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Fair enough, just because I find enduro to be as boring as drilling holes in a wild male pig doesn't mean everybody does. Given the amount of entertainment he's given me with some phenomenal DH runs, I wish him the best in his enduro career, and am glad there is a fan base out there to consume media and keep the pro mtb dream alive.
Have to say, I'm struggling with the wild pig analogy, but I agree that from a live action perspective, nothing beats full on DH. But I also agree with manhattan that Sven takes pretty pictures at the various EWS locations.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Have to say, I'm struggling with the wild pig analogy, but I agree that from a live action perspective, nothing beats full on DH.
Wild male pigs are called boars, the drilling was a little vague but I was going for "boring holes" even though that's technically enlarging, not just drilling.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
*BUMP*

"Ouch, wtf is that? Oh, is that you, Rock Bottom?"

"Yep Sam, it's me. Nice to have you here. Here are your Enduro specific socks."

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
not so sure ANYONE can be compared to MinGNAAAR

Especially where shoulder injuries are concerned

"at Fort Bill at the World Champs I had a good shot of getting on another big team. I had my shoulder all strapped up. I ended up crashing over the bars in the woods, dislocating my shoulder again and breaking the scapula in the process. I still managed to ride into fourth."

60sec after said dislocation???

Just mental. Imo Minnaar is one of the mentally strongest athletes there are. He came back from severe injuries and was right back on the top. Especially in DH this is a really special thing I think.

But I am not sure if it's the same thing like having both shoulders fixed at least two times each. I mean Hill had to change his riding style to get back to the top. You can see that best when you see him riding on his last seasons on IH versus the last seasons on Specialized. Narrower and higher bars were a result of this.
To me Hill will always be a tread to watch, no matter what bike he is on. He changed the game like only a few others did. Some of the most ridiculous runs came from him.
I am lifelong fan of this guy.
He is one of the reasons I got into DH.

Maybe he is coming back next year to the DH cirquit, maybe not.
I hope he does.

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Hill has been dedicated to dh wc for a long time, dont see anything wrong with him expanding his horizon. Sam Hill will always be Sam Hill and remembered for some of the most insane runs in history and being a game changing rider.

If he dosent have the fire for all out dh racing so be it and just hope he brings something of his old self to EWS!!

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Sam Hill is just one of a few core-riders and still gets proper attention - he's not really riding by some peoples measure yet he somehow is front and center in racing. Sam's never 'dropped and edit' or been a toolbag of the sponsorship world in his career. All this makes good upon being a fierce competitor and a talent on the bike.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I've got to think that if he's calling it quits, it would be next year when World Champs is in Stralya. Hopefully he'll make the team for that.