Quantcast

History of a guy called Palmer...(video)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Right on, man!

I remember Palmer when he was riding a red split-tail Terry Kidwell sig. board for SIMS before he even got his own model... time flies...

Thanks for the links!

:rockout:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Awsome fuc*** find!!

Mtb part is full of memorable moments and scenes from the 1st ChainSmoke. Dual slalom races against Cully and Cedric.

Should belong in the old school thread too!

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
Palmer and Craig Kelly are the main reasons I bought a snowboard in 1987.
It was a Burton Cruiser 165 split tail. It was too big, I was too small. But I needed to learn how to snowboard. The guy is an animal and one hell of an athlete.

That just made my lunch hour. Thanks.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It is funny how the little groms are not posting to this. They're all scratching thier moppy hair cuts asking who the fukc is Palmer?

Back when I was a little 14 year old grom Chainsmoke 1 was in the living room VCR all the time, I loved that video! I was a full blown Trials guy back then, that vid and mostly Palmer is what got me into DJ's and DH

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
im young, 21 but i know who palmer is haha. dude is seriously talented as f@ck. and to think shaun white has so much exposure now a days because he does 2 sports, snowboard and skate. plamer.... was on a whole different level. he just wanted to be the best at everything, and thats what he did.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i always look forward every year to the winter Xgames to see if he comes back and kicks smore ass..
and that cop didnt look too happy in pt1 haha

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Palmer was so good and so bad for the sports he was involved in. He literally smashed in doors and took everything in sight. Unfortunately every little grom tried to emulate his style, party rep and attitude, but forgot one thing he had loads of...talent. We get left with loads of kids who think they are punk rock, but pretty much suck and lack his drive. Take Palmer with average results and you pretty much have an A-hole that people would not be able to stand, but the reality of Palmer is that he is an icon.

To clarify, I do believe he is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, athletes of all time. I was so dissapointed to see him out of the olympics...the guy deserves the world, he's earned it.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Palmer was so good and so bad for the sports he was involved in. He literally smashed in doors and took everything in sight. Unfortunately every little grom tried to emulate his style, party rep and attitude, but forgot one thing he had loads of...talent. We get left with loads of kids who think they are punk rock, but pretty much suck and lack his drive. Take Palmer with average results and you pretty much have an A-hole that people would not be able to stand, but the reality of Palmer is that he is an icon.

To clarify, I do believe he is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, athletes of all time. I was so dissapointed to see him out of the olympics...the guy deserves the world, he's earned it.
:cheers: him and Peaty are the reason I got into downhilling. That was also the time of "big" mountain bike contracts.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Palmer was defintely one of the reasons I got into snowboarding - along with Damian Sanders (Remember him? He used to date that Penthouse Pet, Brandy - they even got married I think) and the aforementioned Craig Kelly (God rest his soul).

As for DH - before I got a DH rig, I remember seeing a story about Palmer riding MTB, but didn't know anything about DH - just saw him riding and I remembered thinking - "pssshh WTF is he doing?" Coming from a hardcore skateboard/snowboard background I didn't understand the move to that sport, or really know anything about it at that time (99').

Once I got into DH and appreciated it, I learned more about Palmer in the sport. I now look back on all the stuff Palmer has done - what he brought to DH (the good and the bad) :biggrin:, the legendary stories of his unstoppable will to win / kick ass and am amazed.

Seeing what he has done, - it just makes me want to ride that much harder every time I see him on a bike or hear about it.

Incidentally, my first DH bike was an oldskool Spesh FSR Big Hit... :biggrin:

Last edited:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
That was an awesome bio of an amazing athlete - thanks for sharing! We may never see anything like him again. It wasn't one thing that he was dominating pretty much anything he took a part of, but he did it with the swagger like never seen before - or since.
His persona may not have been appealing to some/most, but you can't argue with the results and he definitely raised the bar for numerous "extreme" sports (sorry, that was the word back then - I hate that f*cking played-out term). He wasn't a legend, he was a MULTIPLE legend.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah great vid - inspiring and depressing at the same time. The vid kinda just showed he was a party guy
who had tons of athletic ability and the drive to win. If you're a grom and think you can be like the Palm,
do some research and you'll find interviews with him that tell of the tons of hard work and practice he put in.
I read somewhere about him getting up at like 6 a.m. to hit a few hours on the snowmobile then a couple hours riding snowboards then bikes then workouts - Then he would go out and get hammered at night.
You don't just drink 7 beers and get the liquid courage to go out and beat the best in the world!
I guess talking about that in the Video would seem less "Rebel"

Last edited:

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
brings back memories, i'm only 23 but have been into snowboarding for a long time, remember palmer, rippey , someone even brought up craig kelly the other day, remembered the avalanche

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
anyone know where I can get a copy on dvd? Can't seem to track one down...

anyway, that documentary is going to be the ****. Hope it comes out soon.
This is two years old. Brad holmes (the skier) put this together eons ago as a 'trailer'. He showed it in some ski vid nights in 2006 with the explanation that a full length was coming out. If this is all that came of it, then I guess not.

http://www.chainsawproductions.com/inproduction.php

I was actually hoping he'd put something more coherent together. He's obviously got shlt tons of footage and probably talks to palmer once a week. Having mr talent overdose's input would have been nice.

Last edited:

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
It is funny how the little groms are not posting to this. They're all scratching thier moppy hair cuts asking who the fukc is Palmer?

Back when I was a little 14 year old grom Chainsmoke 1 was in the living room VCR all the time, I loved that video! I was a full blown Trials guy back then, that vid and mostly Palmer is what got me into DJ's and DH
18, and I've known of for Palmer back in, say, '97? But, I do know where you're coming from on that. Most of the kids I talk to my age, or even older, don't have a fvcking clue who palmer is.

GOD.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i still have my '91 palmer snowboard. i'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.
i've got a palmer channel titanium - sweet deck.

so palm is turning 40 this year - i was wondering what a guy of his ilk does in his golden years? shack up & breed a race of super babies? become an eccentric recluse? what IS the old guy up to these days?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Palmer was the first Pastrana - in the way of getting out of bed and doing whatever the heck runs through his mind.
I know he did the fake wave surf competitively for a minute, an my bro said he raced him in Superbike or Supermoto a couple years back.
I think he did some kind of off road auto racing, so on and so on...
He's prolly found something new and fun to do for sure!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Palmer was the first Pastrana - in the way of getting out of bed and doing whatever the heck runs through his mind.
I know he did the fake wave surf competitively for a minute, an my bro said he raced him in Superbike or Supermoto a couple years back.
I think he did some kind of off road auto racing, so on and so on...
He's prolly found something new and fun to do for sure!
His beer gut was pretty spectacular last time I saw him.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
He's one of the guys that made me buy my 1st snowboard. Hearing that he does MTB made me wanna try it too and here I am ;)

About the documentary - It's nice it's about Palmer but the level of it really sucks. Students do better job at documentaries. There was actually very little told about him so if you don't know him you probably wont know much more after it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
About the documentary - It's nice it's about Palmer but the level of it really sucks. Students do better job at documentaries. There was actually very little told about him so if you don't know him you probably wont know much more after it.
Like I said before.......this was a TRAILER for a doc that apparently never got finished.

If this was the editing style he wanted to maintain, I guess I could see where it got a little overwhelming.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Good to know. It explains a lot, looked really trailer-like. I was a bit harsh too but I'm angry that there are so little well made documentaries in the ex sports.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I'm 16 and know of him through hs snowboarding video game (sickest game ever). he's pretty insane, I wonder what hes doing these days

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Send brad holmes an email at chainsawproductions.com

You're not the only one that wants to see something done with all this footage that's a little more informative.
It would be nice if he could get funding like the first descent guys got. The movie is half document half riding but it got a limited cinema release and it told a bit to the unnknowing about the history of snowboard (even though I remember it a bit different from lectures at my instructor course).