Quantcast

history of dh

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
ne of you guys got any info i could use for a project? including the bikes. yeah i know about the starting in marin on mt. tam and all but i have a huge gap between that and like 1998. anyone have pics and info i could use?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
bhspec03 said:
ne of you guys got any info i could use for a project? including the bikes. yeah i know about the starting in marin on mt. tam and all but i have a huge gap between that and like 1998. anyone have pics and info i could use?
Look for the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame - they have historical info. Located in Crusty Butt (and I think online as well).

-S.S.-

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There are these things called 'books' that might help you out...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
On one of the Chain Reaction dvds there is an extra segment from Kathy Sessler. When she was a kid she filmed all this stuff that looked a lot like dh racing long before those on mt. tam and the such.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DRB said:
On one of the Chain Reaction dvds there is an extra segment from Kathy Sessler. When she was a kid she filmed all this stuff that looked a lot like dh racing long before those on mt. tam and the such.
That's Sprung 5. It's a good film...but it's all early BMX, really, not DH...

MD

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
"but it's all early BMX, really, not DH..."
IMHO, DH started from BMX. I used to do shuttle runs in PA on my BMX bike,
in 1979, dressed in full gear. I started on a road, to get to the trailhead, hitting
speeds close to 70mph! The sport didn't evolve so much as the bicycle did:
like somebody else said, the bike has been around for awhile now, but DH specific
bikes have really only been around since the late '80's. (real ones anyway)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
bhspec03 said:
I have Leighs roachy bike she won the 95' worlds on, in the garage, if you need pics?
Also have her 99' worlds race bike if you need pics