Quantcast

Hitch Mounting - UHaul sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I had a hitch installed on my Subie about a year or so ago so we could tow the trailer to the track. The Law is finally buying a truck so we no longer need a trailer for the motorcycles, so I am uninstalling the hitch as I don't use it (and I want to dump the 50#).
Yesterday I scheduled time (I'm pretty busy right now, so working on the car is tough) to take the hitch off only to find that my muffler was bolted directly to the hitch.
Apparently when they installed the hitch onto my Impreza, the had to remove a mount for the exhaust hanger. Thing is, they did not return the original parts to me, they trashed them. Now, I'm stuck buying a new part because some min. wage paid (insert multiple slurs/derrogitory comments) decided to throw my parts away. And to add insult to injury, they cut away part of my bumper to make the hitch fit. WTF? If you need to modify a car to make your product fit, you dam well need to be telling the owner of the car! And to top it off, when the wiring was installed it was done incorrectly. It has now shorted out a fuse three times. Not that it is important, it's only my speedometer and odometer...

Normally I would have installed it myself, but ina crunch for time I paid for a professional installation, not a monkey with a wrench.

This is me venting, and never using UHaul again. Budget and Ryder just got my business.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
A) You thought you could install a hitch on an Impeza w/out any modifications? Lols.

B) You had U-Haul do it.

No sympathy...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A) You thought you could install a hitch on an Impeza w/out any modifications? Lols.

B) You had U-Haul do it.

No sympathy...
Do you even know anything about impreza's? DIAF.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
Normally I would have installed it myself, but ina crunch for time I paid for a professional installation, not a monkey with a wrench.
You should have did a back ground check on the person doing the install.

x-con move the deep south, never finish grade school, lives in a trailer behind the place where he works, 400 lb girlfriend that is pregnet and has 3 kids from as many dads, smokes pot, meth..., makes min-wage and thats garnished at 50%. Working at U-haul is a career job for this guy.

Subaru $25,000
Downhill MTB $5000.00
trailer hitch $175.00
Letting some LOOSSSERRRR at U-Haul install it = PRICELESS

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
damn i wasnt even on the :monkey: then, and i thought i had been here for a while
I originally joined 11/10/01. Back when the Lounge was essentially an unmoderated forum. Way back...

As for the install guy. I'm pissed but I get to feel good about this. I can correct it easily with a few buck and some time. His life sucks as determined by his job at UHaul. I win in the end.

And Certified Drunk, can you read? The mount was installed to tow a race motorcycle to the track. To hell with downhill, it has nothing on the superbike.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
One of my team guys had the same issue. No bumper mods though (WTF). They did have to remove a muffler mount and put a rubber pad or something between muffler and hitch. It was promprtly lost and the muffler clanged pretty hard at times.
At least the idiot that installed it bolted the bumper on. i will give him that.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I originally joined 11/10/01. Back when the Lounge was essentially an unmoderated forum. Way back...

As for the install guy. I'm pissed but I get to feel good about this. I can correct it easily with a few buck and some time. His life sucks as determined by his job at UHaul. I win in the end.

And Certified Drunk, can you read? The mount was installed to tow a race motorcycle to the track. To hell with downhill, it has nothing on the superbike.
There's the old stalked one coming out to play. Nice. :disgust1:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No really, what did you expect when you allowed a non-professional install something on your car? Take it to a garage, where you can complain and get a refund if you don't like their work.

Secondly, you always ask for the old parts back. And you should have inspected the work after it was done. Once you drove away you accepted what they did. If you had turned right around and said "you guys suck" then you have a right to complain...

I'm sorry they cut your bumper and I'm sorry you don't have the part you need...that's why God invented clotheshangers....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Uhaul has a lifetime warranty on their hitches and I think it covers a situation like this unless the instruction for the hitch requires them to do what they did. Hitch instructions almost always tell them to return things they remove from the vehicle. Trimming the bumper is not unheard of for hitches on some vehicles. A hitch you would put on a Subbie isn't that beefy so you'd be only losing 30 lbs or less if I had to guess.

You can look up the instructions for your hitch at etrailer.com if you can figure out which brand they used on your car - some ammo when you go into talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.