Quantcast

hitch rack for low car

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My Curt on the xB was 6 bolts, nothing else. One bolt was hard to access but removing the muffler was not necessary given the right tools.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I installed the one on my 2001 Cherokee with my very own hands.....removed the bumper. bolted right on. A few spliced wires.......Bob was my uncle.
Not going to dink around with installing a hitch rack. My Ikea toolbox is likely inadequate.

Plus my kickass new roofrack is en route...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Took the 1up out on the Scion this weekend, and it worked quite well. I pulled the folded rack out of the trunk of my car, unfolded it (takes seconds), inserted the rack into the receiver (almost as much fun as it sounds) and gave a few turns with the wrench and the rack was on the car. A quick opening of the retention arms, a lift of the 30lb trail bike (with 2.4" tires) and closing of the arms and all was in place. I drove 10 minutes down the street and stopped at the gas station to fill up and check the rack. The retention bolt had worked just a slight bit out and it needed less than a quarter turn to have it fully tight. I jumped on the freeway for 20 miles and the bike was still there when I got to the destination.

No toubles with bumps or lane changes, and no issues with rubbing or scraping the ground going in or out of driveways, nor any problems with hills. I'm stoked.

I will say you can see the bike move a bit. This is primarily from flex, which is to be expected with a design that has one center-located hitch mount and the front/back of the bike positioned left/right on the car. There is also a little bit of movement at the handlebars as the front wheel/tire/fork flex, but it isn't anything that would cause the rack to fail at holding the bike in place. Most of that movement is from the fact the arms are built to hold a 3.0 tire and there is some space between the sidewalls and the arm when using anything smaller.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The longest trip I made with my 1up is carrying my 2 AM bikes on a 2-day 1000 mile trip from NJ to FL (took them off at the hotel for security reasons). I also used mine for regular 300 mi round trip rides at Carbondale and I occasionally take it on 500 mi trips to Ithaca, other than when I first used it and didn't push the arms on the tires enough I've never had a problem.