Quantcast

Hitch racks Thule Vs. Yakima

MtnMike

Chimp
Apr 17, 2009
I just purchased the Yakima HoldUp as well. I've been shopping around for a hitch mount rack for our new SUV. (I'm excited to finally have an SUV with a hitch mount rack. I've been drooling over them for years.)

I was first thinking Thule, since Thule is the only brand I've owned. (I have many of Thule's bike racks for the top of my sedan and they're great.)

For some reason I decided to check out Yakima's offerings one day and was surprised when I thought the Yakima HoldUp looked cooler than the Thule T2. I like how it folds up smaller and doesn't have the really long bars.

This video review of the 2009 Yakima HoldUp seems like they have fixed pretty much everything people didn't like about the 2008 version.
You no longer have to pull the pin all the way out and hold all the weight yourself to lean the rack up or down. Check out the video to see what I'm talking about.

I read a lot of positive reviews for both of them and was leaning towards the HoldUp, but it was more expensive. ($415 vs $360) Then I saw that Yakima is having a $50 rebate on that rack this month which would make the price almost the same.

Then I noticed that www.rackattack.com is having a 20% off sale on Yakima racks this month.

I was able to pick up the Yakima HoldUp and the Plus 2 add-on for $560 total (free shipping and no tax). And I'll get a $50 mail in rebate, bring the price down to $510. Dang! Can't beat that!

I'll post a reply after I've used it and can give some feedback.

MtnMike

Chimp
Apr 17, 2009
Well, I bought the Yak Hold up yesterday ...
The rack doesn't fold away from the vehicle while bikes are on it but it does fold up nicely when unloaded. ...
Pegboy - The video review that syadasti posted for the 2009 Yakima HoldUp shows it tilting down to access the vehicle. Does yours not do that?

This video discusses the differences in the 2008 HoldUp and the 2009 version.

Did you get the 2008 version?

Oh, and make sure you get your $50 mail in rebate from Yakima!
http://www.yakima.com/gfx/promo/yakima_springfling_coupon.pdf

andyman1970

Chimp
Sep 13, 2009
Bumping this thread now that several months have passed.

Also bumping selfishly as I'm trying to decide on Thule T2 or Yak HoldUp. While I will install myself, the wife will also use it so it MUST be very simple to use. Did Yak really fix all of the issues, including the nuisance pin lock, or is Thule still the better option?

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I posted a Thread the other day about PROPS to Thule. Their CS and Warranty is second to none! Buy Thule!!!

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223197

"PROPS TO THULE RACKS!!!!

Apparently Thule has limited LIFETIME warranty on racks.
I bought my custom fitted 4 tray Thule rack back in 2005 for my truck. It's mounted to the top of my Fiberglass Tonneau Cover.
Over the last few years of extended use, it's gotten quite a bit of wear and tear.

A friend of mine who works in a shop told me that Thule has a lifetime Warranty. So Last week I went by the place I bought the rack from (Rack Attack Denver) and had them have a look at it. They took some pics and sent them off to Thule. Sure enough, Thule Warrantied one of the 594 Side Arms, all four legs of the rack and 2 of the bent Tire Holders for the tray!

It's like a new rack again! I couldn't be more stoked! I'll never buy anything but Thule again! It was well worth the $$ I paid!!"

Attachments

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Bumping this thread now that several months have passed.

Also bumping selfishly as I'm trying to decide on Thule T2 or Yak HoldUp. While I will install myself, the wife will also use it so it MUST be very simple to use. Did Yak really fix all of the issues, including the nuisance pin lock, or is Thule still the better option?
1up current makes the best premium tray rack on the market though their marketing/distribution is pretty rudimentary. I've owned hitch tray racks from Sportworks, Thule, Yakima and the 1up makes them seem like cheap Walmart racks with the very nice design (turn 1 bolt to mount with security hex key - no pin, 4 position fold, and folds up and fits in a regular car trunk), light weight(25 lbs for main track, 18 for additional trays), and high quality materials (no steel to rust - mainly Al with SS hardware). They own the patent on dual arm tray carriers and the only licensee is Raxter.

http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's a pretty ghetto looking rack though. How well does it hold a full DH race bike?
No it makes the Holdup and T2 seem ghetto as I have and used rather than armchair quarterbacking from a photo on their ghetto website (which does suck as I said above). I've owned all of them. Weight limit is 60 lbs. per tray and it holds a range of bikes all the up to 56" wheelbase. There is lots of owner feedback here I checked out before I bought it, its way better than other tray I've had - Sportworks/Thule, Saris, or Yakima:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=508867

Kuat also seems to have some tray racks that may beat Thule and Yakima too, but they still aren't available, aren't nearly as compact, and don't seem to accommodate as many situations (the 1up fits cars with spare tires, offset bike height when you add trays (and you have the option to run just one tray or add on with two quick bolts), and has variable input depth due the fixing mechanism):

http://www.kuatinnovations.com/

Last edited:

MtnMike

Chimp
Apr 17, 2009
I'm trying to decide on Thule T2 or Yak HoldUp. While I will install myself, the wife will also use it so it MUST be very simple to use. Did Yak really fix all of the issues, including the nuisance pin lock, or is Thule still the better option?
I've had my 2009 Yakima Holdup all summer now and it rocks! They completely fixed the stupid pin lock design from 2008 and I have absolutely no complaints about the 2009 Holdup. I highly recommend it!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I now have the extension and have hauled 4 bikes a lot this summer. This rack rocks.

Its long with the extension.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I second the vote for Northshoreracks.com

Very please with the quality and easy of use. Plus the depth of 4 bikes is about the depth of a regular 2 tray bike rack.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
and from what I could see of yours, that thing doesn't move and is so very stout!
What's your thoughts on a 5'5" woman putting a 38lb DH on it? Would it be a struggle for her?

I wouldn't mind one but I am not sure if my wife would like it. She already has a hard time putting her bike on top of the car.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
What's your thoughts on a 5'5" woman putting a 38lb DH on it? Would it be a struggle for her?

I wouldn't mind one but I am not sure if my wife would like it. She already has a hard time putting her bike on top of the car.
I would say easier. You can hold it from the fork and either seattube, seat-stay or chain-stay to hang them. No weird balancing act to get both wheels in they respective places.

I will say this however. Fox 40s on bikes with 1.5 steerers can be a bit of a challenge to get them off the rack. They want to bind.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Gonna echo Rufus' sentiments on the wife loading. I chose the Yakima mainly because it was on sale at EMS (I think for $250),and I ended up with a $50 dollar mail in rebate thanks to a PM from a monkey. I couldn't be happier. Mine is an '08 so the lock pin is manual, which I find to be no problem, but it sounds like they improved that anyways.

Loading is simple. If you can get the front wheel in the tray, there is no "balancing act". Instead of a pin to keep it in the receiver, there is a threaded bolt that you can tighten down which minimizes any movement and also prevents someone from swiping it off the back of your vehicle unless they have tools (1" wrench/socket). The end of the bolt has a tooled piece that allows for a lock(yakima specific). It also comes with a cable lock that can be used to lock bikes up or lock the rack to the car. I don't think I would trust the lock in a shady situation over night (or whistler) but for most situations it is more than adequate.

Overall, it is a simple, easy to use, solid design and Yakima also has a lifetime warranty, although unlike the T2, I have not heard or seen one break.

You probably can't really go wrong though. All seem to be pretty descent so I would look at prices and see what works for you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

I saw Doug putting his Makula on while I was staring at the rack and it looked to be the equivalent of hanging your bike by it's front wheel in the garage. If she can't get the rear wheel 1-2 feet off the ground, it could be an issue for her. That's the only way to know for sure.

But maybe Doug could tell you if bikes are loadable when it's in the reclined position? If that's the case, she'd have a piece of cake doing it.

andyman1970

Chimp
Sep 13, 2009
I'm glad I revived this thread - the info keeps comin'

A few other questions:

- Did Thule change the T2 between 2008 and 2009?
- Is there a plan to change the T2 for 2010?

andyman1970

Chimp
Sep 13, 2009
As a general rule, I always call the OEM tech support line before I make a major investment in a product. Thule's tech support had approx. a 12 minute on-hold time. The person I spoke with seemed knowledgeable and I followed up with additional questions. Below is the response I received (Answers earlier than the questions - recommend that you read in reverse):

<START THREAD>

Response (Thule Support) - 09/16/2009 04:23 PM

Good day Andrew,

1- It will be upgraded next to accommodate bigger wheels

2- Yes it is true you need to deflate the tires on bigger bikes but it will be resoles next years with the new rack, thank you.

Customer (Andrew) - 09/13/2009 05:45 PM

Hello, I'm just on the verge of purchasing a new Thule bike rack, the T2 2-bike to be specific. I have two questions:

1) Is there a new version of this rack coming out soon (like a 2010 model)? Alternatively, are there any plans to upgrade / enhance this rack or will it remain the same for at least the next year?

2) The following is a review on Amazon. I usually take these comments with a grain of salt, but since I have a larger bike, I ask that you confirm this issue regarding larger tire brace compatibility:

(from Amazon reviewer): The T2 is not perfect though: 1) (a terrible oversight by Thule designers) the locking front wheel arm DOES NOT handle fully inflated 700x32c (and larger) tires UNLESS you deflate the air volume by at least 30-50%. This is a pain because you must deflate the tire upon mounting it and then reinflate the tire upon arrival to your destination. The length of ratcheting notches does not extend far enough up the arm - if you have one you know what I mean. I had to buy another floor pump to keep in the van specifically for this purpose.

Full review here:
http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Transpor...#RW4AM38FT2MLB

<END THREAD>

While I'm disappointed in this Thule T2 short coming, I am encouraged that tech support acknowledged this issue and provided direction on an upcoming fix. I have three 29" bikes and with winter coming soon, I think I will wait on my T2 purchase until the 2010 model is available.

Unless someone can tell me how to successfully make this solution work with 29" tires.....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Again, the 1upUSA rack and Yakima Holdup are both superior to the T2 and both accommodate 29ers just fine - I've personally owned and used them all. Yakima and Thule both have decent customer support and with 1up you usually get the guy that owns the company on the phone.

Judging on their fork style racks, Kuat's offering will be very competitive too.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've never had to deflate my tire on my T2, and yes, I've carried DH and cross bikes.
700 x 32 is a freak tire so unless you have a 29er, it shouldn't be an issue. Lets me honest, when that rack was designed, 29ers didn't exist (and still shouldn't)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
If you look at my pic above I have a 20" wheeled bike, 2-26" wheeled mountain bikes, and a 700c bike in the T2. They all fit perfectly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've never had to deflate my tire on my T2, and yes, I've carried DH and cross bikes.
700 x 32 is a freak tire so unless you have a 29er, it shouldn't be an issue. Lets me honest, when that rack was designed, 29ers didn't exist (and still shouldn't)
I have a T2 and a 29er with 2.3" tires. Never had any problems. It's close, but there's still quite a bit of clearance.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I posted a Thread the other day about PROPS to Thule. Their CS and Warranty is second to none! Buy Thule!!!
Eh, I had a bad experience. The fiberglass top of my thule (spirit?) cargo carrier got destroyed (lets not discuss how) and I couldn't get a replacement. I wasn't even trying to get it warrantied for free, they wouldn't even sell me a goddamnit new top. I had to buy a whole new pod, kinda pissed me off. They'll never see me buying another one of their products (new at least!).

andyman1970

Chimp
Sep 13, 2009
If you look at my pic above I have a 20" wheeled bike, 2-26" wheeled mountain bikes, and a 700c bike in the T2. They all fit perfectly.
I did notice that in your pics. That's why I'm a tad puzzled as to why Thule support confirmed this was an issue. Perhaps they have a bad lot of T2's floating out there??

Yukonrider

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Marquette MI
Mine fit my big 29'er tires fine, it took a bit of wiggleing to get on, but it held it just fine. This was on the Giant 29'er, so the tires are huge, wide

andyman1970

Chimp
Sep 13, 2009
Per Yakima Tech Support:

Hello Andy,

Thank you for contacting Yakima Customer Support.

We currently don't have any plans for a release of a brand new hitch mount bike rack this spring.

The Hold Up was updated in 2009 and that is our premier hitchrack as of now.

Definitely check back, as things do change.

Thank you for your inquiry!
Yakima Support

From Thule Tech Support

Good day Andy,

In bout a month or two.

FRANCOIS DORVAL

North American Representative

Customer Service/Service a la Clientele

Thule group

Thule Inc.

42 silvermine Road

Seymour, CT 06483

Customer Service line

1-800-238-2388

Fax: 1-800-361-6389

Francois.dorval@thule.com

www.Thule.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 1:01 PM
To: Dorval, Francois
Subject: RE: bike rack,

Thanks - but can you tell me when this new version will be available to your dealers, specifically Amazon.com?

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: bike rack,
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:11:12 +0100
To: andyman1970@hotmail.com

Good day Andy,

The only thing that is going to change is the hook that goes on the front wheel, it will be longer nothing else will change, thank you.

Regards,

FRANCOIS DORVAL

North American Representative

Customer Service/Service a la Clientele

Thule group

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The T2 cross brace can fail to grip the beam (probably user error, not torqued evenly/properly) or break right on the brace (Thule flaw) - either way you'll lose a bike - its a known issue.

If you still haven't gotten one I'd take a close look at the 1up, Kuat, and holdup tray racks. Those are all better designs.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Make sure your bolts are tight and you will be fine.
Not for cross brace metal failure. I personally know two people who had the brace fail that way and they knew what they were doing (and its not complicated to begin with) - hell one of them is a mechanical engineer in the aerospace sector.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I drug the arm on my Hold Up 5 miles and into the parking lot of my daughters school one morning. If you own one, don't leave it sticking up assuming it will always stay ratcheted in the upright position. :doh:

I didn't have a bike on and hit a big dip coming out of my drive everyday. Apparently the arm swung down to ground level. One of the teachers was nice enough to point it out.

It still works great.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I drug the arm on my Hold Up 5 miles and into the parking lot of my daughters school one morning. If you own one, don't leave it sticking up assuming it will always stay ratcheted in the upright position. :doh:
The updated version they released in 2009 has a stop now to prevent that.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Is there a cheap way to secure the T2, while still maintaining the anti-rattle feature that the bolt accomplishes, without buying the Thule locking hitch pin bolt? I refuse to pay $50 for a bolt and cheap plastic lock on the end....

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Not for cross brace metal failure. I personally know two people who had the brace fail that way and they knew what they were doing (and its not complicated to begin with) - hell one of them is a mechanical engineer in the aerospace sector.
Those braces are designed to fail rather than transfer force into your hitch that could end up damaging a car's frame (or unibody structure).

The design and installation of those parts were not "normal" use of bolts. It's been a few years since I put my T2 together, but I remember that the braces do not quite reach the surface they are supposed to mate to, not only requiring a lot of torque to make sure they clamped down to the mating part, but also requiring you to turn the bolt a few revolutions after it is snug. Normally, you you turn a bolt less than one full revolution after it is snug to properly torque the bolt, but in this case, the torque isn't being used to stretch the fastener, but is used to stretch the brace material. In the vid posted, there is no way to achieve enough torque using the $hitty multi-tool the guy had, that tool will only allow you to make the fastner snug, and will not allow you to apply enough torque to seat the brace.

On the other hand, if you go to town on those bolts you might overstretch the brace material, which will make it fail quickly, especially if mfg. tolerances were off and the brace has to stretch too much before it clamps the x-bar to the rack.

In any case, the interface between the x-bars that hold your bike and the rack itsself is not conventional, and I don't remember if the instructions give enough guidance on how to fasten the x-bars to the rack. It's almost something you need to do by feel, keep turning the brace bolts until you feel the x-bar gripping the rack, but not so much you compromise the brace or the bolts... the guy in the vid stopped way too soon, others will crank down way too hard. In the end, it's up to Thule to make a robust design that does not require an engineer with a lot of experience with bolts to figure out what the f is going on. But, it also seems like MOST people get it within the range where it works out.

Also, I am debating on buying new braces and bolts after a few years. Those braces see a lot of stress and will fail eventually, esp. carrying heavy dh bikes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Also, I am debating on buying new braces and bolts after a few years. Those braces see a lot of stress and will fail eventually, esp. carrying heavy dh bikes.
Both of the people who I know with failures are skilled mechanics (as I said one IS an engineer) and both regularly carried DH bikes. The design is flawed but Thule does nothing about it year after year.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Both of the people who I know with failures are skilled mechanics (as I said one IS an engineer) and both regularly carried DH bikes. The design is flawed but Thule does nothing about it year after year.
I agree the design is flawed, changing the braces after a while might be a good idea and also inspect the braces regularly, I'd bet you can spot some signs of fatigue before it fails completely.