Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
OH! Thanks for your efforts at the race It was a good time
the course has continued to become a better course there
this one is good, and fun. The first year I went to the race
there I drove back home and didnt race.
The course was short and jumps were little.
It has came a long way PROPS!!! Thanks MiKE and Good job
I know some people read my entries and say what a jerk
why cant this guy just have fun and shut up!
well I was lucky enough to race this sport in the late 90's
when it was thriving! Courses were good! The attendance
was Great! There have always been challenges I suppose
I just want to piss enough people off to have someone think
about why our sport has fallen off so. My first CC race in 98'
Beech Mt. over 75 xpert/pro class and the course was a real DH
I just want the new generation to experience SE racing at least
as well as it was then, And why not better
I appreciate the efforts of the people who made at least something
happen but we need to work to make it up to par with other series
around the country. Several years ago it was! And it showed at nationals
we always had SE guys on the podium where ever we showed up
and it was because racing and competition here was fierce!

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
Thanks for the props Chuck. I will relay some info to Sandy. Does anyone know the availibility of timing equipment to do actual Dual Slalom. I would love to change our course to 2 lanes top to bottom but only if I could time it correctly.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
personally I dont know anyone but try contacting someone who
puts on road events, time trials etc. I know theres a guy here in
GA who'll rent his equipment, dont know the details cost etc.

Thanks for listening to my rants! I dont know everything, but
I have been around the country racing alot and I have seen
it done everyway you can do it between right and wrong.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
what up thacker? thought about you yesterday!
Give me a call I dont have your # anymore
I think when one was used it was Terry's which
I think he's givin up on and deemed it unreliable.
Most mtx's were stop watch then elimination through
placement.
They used one at Dark Mt. this year and I wasn't that
impressed with it. You had to cross these mats that
were about 10-15 ft. long then put a sensor on your
crank so you ended up with that crank down to
stop the clock. So for one guy it may have been
the first ft. the next guy may have not had the crank
down until 10ft. I don't know they were kind of figuring
it out as they went. That system seemed to be nice
just needed to figure a definate finish line.

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
If Cane Creek, Maxxis or whoever puts on the series next year is the sponsor couldn't they buy a timing system and let each race use it?....or do they care that much about it?...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think I could develop a timing unit using garage door infared safety sensors. I think one unit cost about $40. We could rig up 2. When the first is tripped it could start a clock. The clock could be stopped when the second is tripped. That would give you the time difference between the 2. I could also setup some post processing and a graphical user interface which could keep up with racer numbers and even develop brackets based on finishing times. I think I could use the serial port on a laptop for the input. Let me see if I can come up with some garage door sensors and start to build something.

yeah, yeah I'm a nerd.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If Cane Creek, Maxxis or whoever puts on the series next year is the sponsor couldn't they buy a timing system and let each race use it?....or do they care that much about it?...
reliable Racing sells the equipment and I've told Maxxis before that they need to just step in and buy a timing system, but it will run anywhere from $1800.00-$2500.00 for it. Wired timing is the only way to go when dealing with point to point in wooded, mountainous regions. They have a setup that quickly converts from 1 single timing lane to 2 lanes timing to allow for DS & DH.

Programmable start #'s, exact finish times, photocells, backup manual timer built in in the event the eyes get hit or stop working. All you buy is a big spool of phone line to use as the cable.

I've never once had luck getting anyone to pay for the timing system. Companies want their name associated with a prestigious, well run and accurately timed event, but want somebody else to make that happen.

At 1 point in time, Terry got close to being able to make his money back on his setup...but I think after it decided to embarrass him more often than not, he lost his shirt on it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Oh, and Beech Mtn's ski team had an awesome timing system at the last Beech race...BUT....the event promoter himself tried to run it which wound up being a big mistake. In the end, their timing was flawless though once they got him out of the way.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
You could do a time split with one stopwatch. It wouldn't be absolute accurate but damn close. One person stands right on the finish line. He starts the clock when the first rider's tire crosses then stops when the second rider crosses. This would work for DS eliminations. For qualifying just do the open wakie talkie listen for the gate drop thing.

I like Doug's garage door opener idea.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think the nice thing about mine is that I can write the software to interact with the timer. They would enter which rider is on which lane and it would automaticaly keep track of which rider advances. It could also develop and modify brackets as the racing advances and provide a printout with the results. The operator wouldn't have to do anything execpt enter the rider information. I'm going to borrow s garage door eye and see what I can come up with. I think I could do all this for under $200.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
oh i can see it now.

recently, crack heads have wised up and realized stealing copper wire off of jobsites can be a lucrative endeavor.

now there may be an epidemic of garage door thefts perpetrated by gravity race organizers.
and i just may be the first to be guilty as charged.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just go get some at Home Depot. They will take anything back. So you don't lose anything if it doesn't work. Plus no jail time for ringing and running while you friend swipes the grade door eye from the old people down the street.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
actually, i was thinking about how easy it would be for me to be the first one to arrive at a jobsite one morning and.....

Q:
"hey does anyone know what happened to that door opener" ?

A:
"heck, i have no idea. those crackheads will break in and steal anything."

but you're right.
make a purchase, take out the parts you need.
the chics at the return desks never look inside and inspect it.

JW50

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
Right here
college does not symbolize a persons level of "smartness", just their ability to pay for a piece of paper that says they sat through enough classes taught by professors who have been in academia to long to know what the "real world" is like.

but josh...we're just pickin' man ;)
Tubby is right Josh. Look at Bill Clinton, he had 3 degrees and he is a ****in idiot.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Tubby is right Josh. Look at Bill Clinton, he had 3 degrees and he is a ****in idiot.
yeah..what an idiot. President for 8 years, oral in the oval office and a wife who stuck around and now makes money for him...oh yeah...and a government job as a "good will ambassador". What an idiot huh?:greedy: