Quantcast

Hola!

Just thought I would jump in and say hi. I just very recently got into mountain biking and I'm on a quest for a bike at the moment (I've been borrowing). It's tough because I don't really know what to look for component-wise. I'm learning, but don't yet have a lot of confidence in that area... I did find one bike that is a possibility.

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
Well, for all the riding I do, I'm not a mega expert in the tech/component-department (that's what you get for being married to a guy who is....). I first learned to ride on a very old, very heavy fully rigid (NO suspesion what-so-ever) Trek. I loved that bike, and still do, but am very glad to have upgraded to some suspension.....
My XC bike is a little Kona Explosif- it's a little hardtail. I REALLY learned to ride on THIS bike. I'd recommend a hardtail for starters.... you can upgrade to full-suspension later, but you don't necessarily need to dump that kind of cash into the sport if you're just getting into it. You can have TONS of fun on a hardtail!

What kind of riding are you planning on doing? The needs for XC are a little different than the realm of DH.....like I said, I'm not a tech-head, but I very enthusiastic about the sport and would encourage anyone to pursue it! (how's that for a pep-talk?)

EDIT: things to think about; components are important but for a maybe more importantly, you want something that will fit your size, and your style of riding. You don't want a big heavy downhill bike with 7" of suspension front and rear if your going to cruise around on trails that go UP and DOWN a lot, you want a smaller, lighter bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm blessed with a cousin who is quite knowlegdable and her boyfriend is even more so. They went with me to check out a bike and I ended up with a sweet Giant VT3. I was looking for all mountain, something that could handle Northstar but still climb well. The bike I got has some good upgrades and the price was right. Cousin's BF gave the bike a thorough check and the rear shock needs to be rebuilt (leaking a bit of oil- that got us some $$ of the price).