Quantcast

Holy cow! César Rojo launches UNNO Bikes

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Thanks a lot! Not been easy, but we are loving every single moment going on in here, a dream come true!

Haha! You want to take the fun part from us???

Won't call it forward, but yeah ALL have a modern geometry, all bikes have the same effective reach (reach + stem lenght), not like most that are all totally different, but we will be leaking more details soon, so keep up with our facebook page for that

haha! I know, but we wanted to keep it a bit clean, but you're right... Will take it soon and make a pic for you :D

It's a VF5, now in May we are getting a 5 axis Hermle C400, so we will be able to do all links in only 1 stack for higher precission! :D

Cool toys you have to play with Mr. Rojo!

Let me know when Cero is ready to open the North American development office in Santa Cruz, Ca.
Frame testing in redwood "loam" is pretty much a CEN requirement......

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'm sure these will be mind bogglingly expensive - then I'll go on the Radavist and see the hordes of people queuing up for a $4k steel road frame and a full suspension mountainbike seems cheap in comparison.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
people queuing up for a $4k steel road frame
Yeah, You forgot to mention that those frames are usually custom made out of the best tubing available, which costs around 2k$ for a tubeset alone. That is a fair comparison to a mass produced carbon frame out of china/taiwan (not talking about Unno now). :bonk:

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah, You forgot to mention that those frames are usually custom made out of the best tubing available, which costs around 2k$ for a tubeset alone. That is a fair comparison to a mass produced carbon frame out of china/taiwan (not talking about Unno now). :bonk:
Many of them yes that is true but some of them have real build quality issue. If I got one dollar for every case I've heard "they are great because everyone is different" when they talk about the mfg not being able to consistently produce the same geometry.

I agree some of them are well made but there is no logical explanation for paying that much for a steel frame except for the fact that you want a steel frame. Though well if I made sillicon valley money (and lived outside of SF since living in SF means you are broke anyway) I'd probably buy something stupidly expensive instead of my 30 year old concorde.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
@norbar ofc there are builders who have some serious problems with the quality of their frames, yet they charge some serious cash, just like Intense :weee:

Strong Frames Inc

Field Cycles

Demon Frameworks

Firefly Cycles

and so on... those bikes and this craftmanship are worth every penny. Btw You are still missing the point, those are custom made frames for You - geometry, materials, finish etc. whatever You need. If someone is willing to pay 3k$ (correct me if I'm wrong, but roadies stuff is probably much more expensive) for a Chinese made frame that will fit him or not, then spending 1k more for something custom, made probably in USA or Europe is not such a big deal IMHO.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I wasn't disparaging custom builders - I was trying to suggest that as expensive as this may (or may not) be, top level mountain bikes feel significantly cheaper than top level road bikes. With DH, the difference between a bike costing 1k (can you even buy a brand new, legitimate DH bike for 1k) and 5k is huge. You're talking a night and day difference in ability in bike.

With road, that same difference from 1k to 5k gets you essentially the same bike - sure everything works better, it's lighter, it'll fit better, but the amount that road (and cyclocross and gravel and touring) riders spend on bikes for a small benefit is incredible. Talk about diminishing returns. A full custom made frame and appropriate build is definitely over 5k too....

I'd love a custom Field (mainly for the paint) or Firefly, but in reality since I'm of average size an off the rack build at several thousand less is going to suit me just well. It won't be as special, but at my skill and fitness level I'd be hard pressed to actually get any advantage out of the extra cost.

With a DH or Enduro build, I'm sure going to feel the difference between a 1k starter bike and a top of the line build with suspension that actually works and a more radical geometry.

Having said all of that (and undoubtedly still angering the populous) the most fun I've seen on bikes recently was the Hack Bike Derby video.

Anyhow. Sorry for making a comment on the internet.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If your steel roadbike tubeset is $2,000 USD, you are doing it wrong... very wrong.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
If your steel roadbike tubeset is $2,000 USD, you are doing it wrong... very wrong.
Yeah, forgot that US dollar ain't that weak anymore hahaha. Still, XCR tubeset costs around 1k USD + cost of the dropouts and other small parts.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I wasn't disparaging custom builders - I was trying to suggest that as expensive as this may (or may not) be, top level mountain bikes feel significantly cheaper than top level road bikes. With DH, the difference between a bike costing 1k (can you even buy a brand new, legitimate DH bike for 1k) and 5k is huge. You're talking a night and day difference in ability in bike.

With road, that same difference from 1k to 5k gets you essentially the same bike - sure everything works better, it's lighter, it'll fit better, but the amount that road (and cyclocross and gravel and touring) riders spend on bikes for a small benefit is incredible. Talk about diminishing returns. A full custom made frame and appropriate build is definitely over 5k too....

I'd love a custom Field (mainly for the paint) or Firefly, but in reality since I'm of average size an off the rack build at several thousand less is going to suit me just well. It won't be as special, but at my skill and fitness level I'd be hard pressed to actually get any advantage out of the extra cost.

With a DH or Enduro build, I'm sure going to feel the difference between a 1k starter bike and a top of the line build with suspension that actually works and a more radical geometry.

Having said all of that (and undoubtedly still angering the populous) the most fun I've seen on bikes recently was the Hack Bike Derby video.

Anyhow. Sorry for making a comment on the internet.

The flip side is there is essentially no difference between a 5-6k mountain bike and a 10k+ mtb.

In road and especially tri/tt $5k to $10k is a massive jump with immediate and massive benefits (or at least can be if you are spending it on aero, ceramics, etc).

Just go ride a roadie with ksyriums and then put a 404/808 setup on it back to back

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The flip side is there is essentially no difference between a 5-6k mountain bike and a 10k+ mtb.

In road and especially tri/tt $5k to $10k is a massive jump with immediate and massive benefits (or at least can be if you are spending it on aero, ceramics, etc).

Just go ride a roadie with ksyriums and then put a 404/808 setup on it back to back
That difference you feel is the much lighter wallet! :P

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
UNNO 29r.jpg
Because 29rs can be fun too! Our other Enduro frame with 130mm on the back, 140mm up front and 65º head angle, 430mm chain stays and 75º effective seat tube, is all about fun and performance. An 85mm head tube keeps the bars at a good 27.5” Enduro height for a good front end grip and control. We love 29rs!

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
430mm chain stays and 75º effective seat tube, is all about fun and performance. An 85mm head tube keeps the bars at a good 27.5” Enduro height for a good front end grip and control. We love 29rs!
Couple of points:
- How do you fit the 29x2.5 DHF with 430mm chainstays? ISO compliant? "Enduro" bike so this is natural tire to be fitted.
- I hope the 85mm HT length is on the SM size only. Longer reaches require taller stack, slacker HA require longer HT to maintain taller stack, even on 29ers.
- Where is the intersection point for your effective STA measurement? If you answer the horizontal line starting at the top of the head tube, then the true effective will be much slacker.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Yeah, forgot that US dollar ain't that weak anymore hahaha. Still, XCR tubeset costs around 1k USD + cost of the dropouts and other small parts.
The Nova site has XCR tube sets for $570, but still the folks at Columbus must be laughing their asses off at that!!

Charging, and getting, $600 for a set of tubes that cost at most $75 to produce is crazy!!!
Like makes Specialized look like angels crazy.

I assume it went something like this @ Columbus:

"Faaack we have all these steel tubes no one wants anymore. Our sales are tanking, damn carbon...."

"Wait a second, there are thousands of hipsters in Portland alone and some of them have tons of cash. Why don't we just increase the price by a factor of ten?"

"All the US artisan frame "builders" love our Italian crap! We can hardly move any units and still make tons more cash!"

"Bellisimo Giuseppe, great idea! No pour the damn grappa and lets knock off early! Better yet, lets take the whole summer off!"

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
29er or not, the world needs more sub 150mm travel bikes with 65 degree headangles.
this. somebody find me a 130-140mm, 26", 65-66* HA frame that weighs ~6lbs w/shock and uses a RM approved suspension design.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
this. somebody find me a 140mm, 26", 65-66* HA frame that weighs ~6lbs w/shock and uses a RM approved suspension design.
I was looking for one a while back. Commencal has something but it's kind of a tank.

I had a 2011 turner 5 spot that was 65 with a 2 degree headset. It was rad. Stable geo is stable geo. It's kind of a shame people only build 6" bikes with that stuff. It's like companies are just saying 'well if you go fast, you MUST have moar travels.'