Quantcast

Holy good spring batman

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Out for the second time this week and the weather should be great this weekend with 70s temps. Even though I have been on the bike all winter I still feel like I am weak and can't push hard enough :rant:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Did about 3.5 hours on the road yesterday. I'll probably do 2-3 hours on mostly dirt tomorrow. I'm a bit behind where I'd like to be physically, but feeling reasonably good.

Can't push hard enough? Based on how many threads you've started about actually riding, I figured you'd be out swinging by now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's been warm here for a while but the roads up in the mountains have been closed for months. Heard things just got plowed and will be hitting my first big mountain climb tomorrow. Crazy words to be spoken by a southerner (in location only).

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Can't push hard enough? Based on how many threads you've started about actually riding, I figured you'd be out swinging by now.
That what I would have thought but I need to get a little smarter about training. My breathing has also been hurt by allergies and a cold or a mix of both and at my physical last week my breathing did not score high enough :(

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
well, you can ride a ton and still not be able to hang if you aren't really "training".
I am definitely not following any training plan but I do try to vary my riding between different intensity and length of rides. I have no idea if that can be defined as training.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
When you say you can't push hard enough, are you talking leg strength or that when the intensity ramps up you just aeorbically can't "put out"?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Leg strength.
Well are you doing any big gear work? Try some rides where you put it in the big ring and 12 or 13 in the back and ride at a perceived effort of around 9 for 5 minutes. Do that a few times with some rest in between (maybe 2 minutes):thumb:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sort of got some of the same advice and rode in a bigger gear yesterday. I will try to take it up a notch and do more intervals like that.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Got in six beautiful hours on the bike today. Had a good time riding with old friends. I plan to put in 6 hours each day this weekend....gotta take advantage of the nice weather while we have it!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
As I was in my 22x32 barely making it over a singletrack climb today, it occurred to me that a good workout for leg strength might be mountain biking.... :)