Quantcast

Holy SH!T, did you see what Hoffman did in BMX Vert!

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
hell yea! that was awsome!! I bet noone expected that... I wonder if he'll be back next year ;)

-Mike T

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
when did Hoffman mess up his bars? did it happen when he landed the 900? that totally sucks for him....i'm sure he could've taken Mirra.

Originally posted by Dog Welder
Yeah and Mike Metzeger with the back to back backflips on Freestyle moto.
that was f-ing sweet. and they looked so much cleaner than the one he pulled in the prelims. did they ever say what happened to the dude who didn't pull it off and injured his left leg?

M

M.W.

That was the wickedest thing I've ever seen done on a bicycle. When I heard he was gonna do a no-handed 9, I figure it'd be like Mirra's No-Handed 720 attempt a couple years ago. ie. Huck the spin and sorta take the hand off for a split second and not extend them, but hell, that was just like a no-handed 540, except with another rotation on the end. SICK. He should've won, I think. I thought they were supposed to get some sort of time-out to fix their bike if it broke, but the clock just kept going. And the rest of his run was pretty impressive. I mean, it wasn't like all planned out and memorized like Mirra does, but sh*t, he just threw a big fat no-handed 900, it's gotta be tough to concentrate on the rest of your run.

Mirra doing the 540whip was pretty suprising too. I think Miron's look nicer, but that's and INSANE trick.

Miron's carving those Boomerang airs REALLY FAR now. That's impressive.

Metzger's flips are rad. He does no-footed ones as well. Apparently in the best trick contest, he wants to go for a no-footed flip to na-hander lander.

I hated how, in true X-Games fashion, they were calling it a Double Flip. It wasn't a double flip. It was a backflip, and then another backflip on another jump. Oh well, at least they're not calling them "loops" anymore.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i ****ing missed the x games last nite because my mom made me go to bed early for ****ing orientation for high school the next morning!!!!!!

god this whole high school thing better be worth it!!!!!!

:D :cool: :)

Yahoo

Chimp
Jul 14, 2002
Davis, CA
How about Miron's 360 double tail-whip in the street comp today...damn that's sweet. the double tail-whip is so crazy looking by itself, add a 360 over that and it's insane...too bad he didn't land it on his first attempt...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so i was reading expn.com, and i swear i read the results for the Big Air Comp. i can't remember, though. but if i did, that really sucks 'cause i kinda spoiled my own surprise.

M

M.W.

Originally posted by Yahoo
How about Miron's 360 double tail-whip in the street comp today...damn that's sweet. the double tail-whip is so crazy looking by itself, add a 360 over that and it's insane...too bad he didn't land it on his first attempt...
Apparently he tried a 540 double whip in the Gravity Games vert contest.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
i ****ing missed the x games last nite because my mom made me go to bed early for ****ing orientation for high school the next morning!!!!!!

god this whole high school thing better be worth it!!!!!!
its not. take my word for it. you have to get up too early and listen to bitchy teachers all day.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
ya thats whay i thought papa, i did see it though on sports center.

i also saw mirons 360 doblue whip that was pretty damn cool!!!!!!!

:D :cool: :)

M

M.W.

Originally posted by Leethal
Hoffman should have won vert!! It was a monumental trick not like Mirra's more consevative run.
It's not a best trick contest.

Mirra did a full run, which did have an ENORMOUS 540, and a double whip right in the middle of it (if you call a 540 right into a double whip "conservative" you're either Jay Miron, or you're an idiot). Hoffman's run consisted of a no-hander, the no-handed 900, an invert 540 and a flair. I'm pretty sure that's all he did before his bars pushed forwards. You have to have a full run with a variety of tricks and not many setup airs to win. That's why Miron never really wins (Miron RULES, and I don't care if he wins or not though), because he goes and treats it like a best trick contest and does HUGE tailwhips and decades (did you SEE how far he was carving his boomerang airs!?) and 540 whips and 540 variations, but he has lots of setups in between them.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
If Hoffman's bars would have stuck he would have pulled 1st but thats life. I really think that the problem was park. Sure Nyquist had a solid run with lots of Nyquist tricks like a barspin this and a barspin that but i really thought that Allistair's run had more variation with big transfers, manuels and handplants. I did like how the course was different from previos courses with that new drop jump or what ever stupid name they gave it

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I realize Mirra threw hard tricks, but he probably had little doubt he would pull them. He ran a typical (for him) contest run. Don't forget the tricks he pulled after the 900, which included another tailwhip and a decade. I am not a Mirra Hater it just seem the judges could use a scoring adjustment-last year I believed Mirra did beat Miron, this year I felt Hoffman should have won. It's is just an opinon.

M

M.W.

Originally posted by Leethal
I realize Mirra threw hard tricks, but he probably had little doubt he would pull them. He ran a typical (for him) contest run. Don't forget the tricks he pulled after the 900, which included another tailwhip and a decade. I am not a Mirra Hater it just seem the judges could use a scoring adjustment-last year I believed Mirra did beat Miron, this year I felt Hoffman should have won. It's is just an opinon.
All the stuff Hoffman pulled after he got his bike fixed didn't count because time was up.

I think that if Hoffman hadn't broken his bike and had just gone and done one handers and turnbars for the rest of his run, he probably would have won, but his run only lasted about 15 or 20 seconds.

And Mirra almost ate it on the double whip. I dunno, I don't really care. In a couple years, no-one is gonna remember that Mirra won this comp, it's gonna be the contest that Hoffman threw the No-Handed 900. And neither of them really need the money either...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by Big_Papa1080
its not. take my word for it. you have to get up too early and listen to bitchy teachers all day.
then, in college, you get to listen to bitchy teachers all day and stay up all night.

back to Hoffman...did he bend his bars when he landed that 900, or were they just pushed outward, like they rotated in the stem?

either way, why didn't he call the technical time-out?

M

M.W.

Originally posted by the Inbred

then, in college, you get to listen to bitchy teachers all day and stay up all night.

back to Hoffman...did he bend his bars when he landed that 900, or were they just pushed outward, like they rotated in the stem?

either way, why didn't he call the technical time-out?
They got pushed forward (not bent, just rotated) either on the 900 or on a flatty 5 or a flair that he did afterwards.

He tried to call the time out, but apparently they got rid of that rule. The best was in the prelims when Robinson's bars pushed forwards and he pops out and grabs John Parker's bike from him and proceeds to fire out 4 flairs back to back on it.