Quantcast

Home alone and tons of riding. Maybe too much?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have been home along the last month as the family stayed back in Denmark longer than I did. They will return tomorrow so my bike time will go down again but what a bike month it has been. I have ridden as much I have been able to and as much as the weather has allowed. I also got a Garmin Edge 800 so get out on longer rides have been easy with the navigation. Besides the navigation I love the unite and its so much better than my Polar.

The best ride was this weekend when I rode from Brooklyn to Bear Mountain and back. With a total of 6200 ft of elevation on 115 miles it was the first time I had ridden that much elevation. Only stopped twice to get more Gatorade and a little to eat. I was so beat when I got back I took a shower and then a nap.

My only problem was I got really sore feet at the end and lately what I think is my semitendinosus has been sore. When I do short rides I can normally warm it up and after 10 miles its fine but on this longer ride it got sore again the last 30-40 miles. Its especially the left one.

Anybody have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

This has also before been the one muscle that has been cramping out on me on long rides in previous years but not anymore.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Since no one else has responded yet I'll give my semi-educated-but-still-a-stab-in-the-dark type guess.

Earlier this year I was getting sore in that same muscle when my hours were up in preparation for some bigger races. I have fairly tight IT bands, and my guess would be that my semimembranosus was working harder to keep my knee in line since my IT band was pulling it outward.

Does your knee wobble at the top of the pedal stroke? Do you stretch very often?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
S I have fairly tight IT bands, and my guess would be that my semimembranosus was working harder to keep my knee in line since my IT band was pulling it outward.

Does your knee wobble at the top of the pedal stroke? Do you stretch very often?
IT bands? Is that like a tendon, or are you talking about those rubber band things that people use to work out?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
IT bands? Is that like a tendon, or are you talking about those rubber band things that people use to work out?
The IT band is a piece of connective tissue that runs down the outside of your thigh and helps stabilize your knee. It can tighten up if it doesn't get stretched and can contribute to wobbly-knee syndrome in cyclists or pain on the outside of the knee in some cases.