Quantcast

Homebrewing?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've been thinking about getting a homebrew setup to start making my own beer, because the amount I drink is starting to get expensive, I like more expensive beer, and it looks to be quite fun and rewarding. I figure if TJ can figure it out, I should be able to do this.

I am looking at the following kit:
Home Brew Deluxe

It seems to have everything except the 7 Gallon brew pot which I will need to get as well.

I have been trying to decide on the indoor vs outdoor kit. I do not have a garage, so my outdoor access is going to be my back patio with direct Southern exposure. I'm just guessing here, but I'd assume this is bad? If I go indoor, I'm assuming that it will live either on my kitchen counter or in a closet once it it brewed.

I am collecting bottle from my current drinking so that I won't need to buy bottles. I figure that I am going to learn a lot of lessons while I learn the process. Anything major that I should be aware of?

thanks,:thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
actually, after a more comprehensive look, that immersion chiller doesn't look like it would work with a very tall pot without hanging from the side (potential for bending), not only that, having the water in & out on opposite sides might be a little awkward to work with, depending on the space where you are brewing.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I never used a wort cooler when I was brewing. It saves time, but it seemed easy enough to me to without. The bottles and capping takes a fair bit of room and get a little tiring to clean and store after a while. We quickly shifted to 22oz bottles and fip-top type to keep the number of bottles to a minimum. IMO, 12oz bottles suck... Remember to not be 'dry' for 2 to 4 weeks, you need enough bottles for 10gal of beer and essentially rotate two batches or more (one drinking, one fermenting etc).

I prefer to use two glass carboys as well, as the glass is easier to clean, and you can't scratch it (provides places for bacteria to hide and grow) like plastic.

If I got back into it again, I would certainly think of going with a keg system (had a friend with a great set-up in his basement with a minimum or 3 or 4 batches in various states in kegs...very clean and simple system.

The good thing is it looks like home brew ingredients have stayed farily level price-wise as commercial beer has certainly gone way up in the last few years. My recollection was homebrew was not significantly less $$, but looking at current prices, it would definately save some cash.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks BadDNA. The looks a lot better.

*mods, want to move to food/beer?