Quantcast

Homemade Yogurt

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I tried my first batch of homemade yesterday. When I transfered it into a jar for storage, I noticed that it's still pretty liquid (40% solid). How can I add some stiffness to the yogurt? I let it set for 14hrs, as I kinda fell asleep...
Thanks,
Mark

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So I believe that if you hold it at 180 (?) deg for a little bit longer (10min or so?) it stiffens up a bit more... Then did you hold it at 110 for 7-8+ hours?

I'm not quite sure exactly what you did, so not sure what I can tell you to do differently... :)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So I believe that if you hold it at 180 (?) deg for a little bit longer (10min or so?) it stiffens up a bit more... Then did you hold it at 110 for 7-8+ hours?

I'm not quite sure exactly what you did, so not sure what I can tell you to do differently... :)
I held it at 180 for a few min, but it was starting to boil up. I didn't hold it a 110 though. I let it cool to that temp, then added the culture. I think I need to try holding it at temp next time. Do you normally use a crockpot or keep it in the over at that temp?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I use my sous vide setup. :)

(this is going from memory, so double-check the times/temps)
Step 1: Bring milk to 180deg and hold for 10min. DO NOT LET IT BOIL. Use a digi thermometer, and shift off of the burner as it gets to that temperature. A covered pot will hold it at that temperature better, but it's also easier to go over. You'll just have to experiment on how it is best for you. Your primary objective is to kill off anything that might be alive in there.

Step 2: Ice bath it down to or below 110deg.

Step 3: Add 1 cup of yogurt with live cultures. (Steps 3 and 4 can be interchanged if it works better for you)

Step 4: Pour into whatever you're looking at using to hold the temperature at 110deg. I use a hacked crockpot + temp controller, but you might be able to put it into a covered pot and throw it into a warm oven? Or watch it like a hawk on the stove? Basically this is your hardest part, since you need to keep it at 110 for 7+ hours for the cultures to replicate throughout your yogurt. Think of it like brewing beer, where you first kill everything in it, and then add the yeast that *you* want to take over. Same concept, but using cultures instead of yeast, and the cultures work best at 110deg.

Step 5: Scoop into mason jars and refrigerate.

So far we've had great success with using a cup of fresh cultures each time, but the last time we tried using a bit of the yogurt that we'd made previously and it didn't turn out so well. If we can figure that out, we can cut the $0.79 that we have to spend on a cup of yogurt each time.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
If you want the consistency to be thicker, try adding 1/2 cup of powdered milk as you're heating up the milk to temperature.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just got home and checked the yogurt I *tried* to make yesterday. It's a no go... Going to have to try again next weekend.

I am having homemade chicken schwarma on homemade flat bread with homemade Tadzhik sauce tonight though. Hopefully that turns out well.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am having homemade chicken schwarma on homemade flat bread with homemade Tadzhik sauce tonight though. Hopefully that turns out well.
This also did not go well... I need to work on the seasoning for schwarma.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
So you're like........ 0/2? Try this recipe:

3 slices bacon
1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1/2 lb ground chuck
Coarse sea salt
Freshly cracked pepper
Cayenne Pepper to taste
Crumbled bleu cheese
1 Hamburger roll

1) Shape ground beef into patty-shaped object.
2) Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
3) Saute' onions over low heat (15min)
4) Put bacon in with onions, cook for an additional 10min
5) Simultaneously, cook patty-shaped ground beef ~9-10min (depending desired rarity)
6) Assemble on bun, with patty on bottom, then bacon, then onions, and then crumbled bleu cheese.

:)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm 4/6 in middle eastern food currently. I won on the tadzhiki, humus, pita, and gyro meat.
My salsa is wicked good. And I can rip up a burger/steak well.
I still haven't had a successful run in the bread machine though... I'm going to make up some pizza dough and a few pizzas this weekend.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hey Joker, the wife found this yogurt recipe on teh interwebz and its the only one we've ever used. I always make the vanilla version because plain yogurt is :bad:. The wife also makes several of her bread recipes and they are all really good. I don't because for what ever reason when I make bread we pretty much just wind up with a rock. Apparently you need a real technique to make bread that I clearly don't have.

So you're like........ 0/2? Try this recipe:

3 slices bacon
1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1/2 lb ground chuck
Coarse sea salt
Freshly cracked pepper
Cayenne Pepper to taste
Crumbled bleu cheese
1 Hamburger roll

1) Shape ground beef into patty-shaped object.
2) Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
3) Saute' onions over low heat (15min)
4) Put bacon in with onions, cook for an additional 10min
5) Simultaneously, cook patty-shaped ground beef ~9-10min (depending desired rarity)
6) Assemble on bun, with patty on bottom, then bacon, then onions, and then crumbled bleu cheese.

:)
This is great, but one can't go wrong with bacon. I have messed up oatmeal and completed this with success good recipe

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hey Joker, the wife found this yogurt recipe on teh interwebz and its the only one we've ever used. I always make the vanilla version because plain yogurt is :bad:. The wife also makes several of her bread recipes and they are all really good. I don't because for what ever reason when I make bread we pretty much just wind up with a rock. Apparently you need a real technique to make bread that I clearly don't have.
That is much better than the one I have been trying. This weekend's attempt has the taste and consistency of cottage cheese, but I didn't use any vinegar to initiate curding. I'm going to go ahead and toss this batch too.
Hopefully next weekend will turn out better.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Pesqueeb's recipie worked. One try, one kill. Debating doing half greek, half vanilla next time.
Now to make a cheese press...

I did the cost/oz analysis on the dairy derived foods we eat most often, and found that we can save a LOT of money annually by making our own yogurt, feta, cottage cheese, etc.
Same with flour based foods. 25# bag of flour at costco is $10 and will last a month or two. Bread and pita for pennies on the dollar...
This is totally awesome.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
If you're on the home-made kick...butter is also stupidly easy to make: Whip cream in mixer until solids separate from the liquid (buttermilk). Gather solids and drain/press out the remaining liquid. Now you have butter and buttermilk.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
yeah... that's pretty easy. I'll do that when my current 2# of butter in the freezer is gone.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Pesqueeb's recipie worked. One try, one kill. Debating doing half greek, half vanilla next time.
Now to make a cheese press...

I did the cost/oz analysis on the dairy derived foods we eat most often, and found that we can save a LOT of money annually by making our own yogurt, feta, cottage cheese, etc.
Same with flour based foods. 25# bag of flour at costco is $10 and will last a month or two. Bread and pita for pennies on the dollar...
This is totally awesome.
hippie. :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's called the time value of money, and compounding interest. :nerd:
Organic/non-hormone fed cow products are expensive. I"d rather have that money in savings if I can make it with a little bit of effort. Plus, this is really easy to make! :thumb:

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Organic/non-hormone fed cow products are expensive. I"d rather have that money in savings if I can make it with a little bit of effort. Plus, this is really easy to make! :thumb:
you dont have to convince me! :)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That was the impetus for us. Because were very picky about what we eat our food bills were riding the express elevator to the roof. Our project this year is turning the whole back yard into a veg garden and the building the chicken coop. My project this weekend, if its not totally derailed by my sick daughter, is building compost bins for said projects.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That was the impetus for us. Because were very picky about what we eat our food bills were riding the express elevator to the roof. Our project this year is turning the whole back yard into a veg garden and the building the chicken coop. My project this weekend, if its not totally derailed by my sick daughter, is building compost bins for said projects.
When we were looking at renting houses in the East Bay (real houses vs. apartments), space for a garden and compost bin were high on our list. A few of the home owners were very excited by our thoughts on building out such a process. A few were hesitant, so they fell off our list. It just happened to be unfortunate that the nice places we liked were bordering ishtty neighborhoods or too far away from public transit.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Just got home and checked the yogurt I *tried* to make yesterday. It's a no go... Going to have to try again next weekend.

Did you have a tough time catching the chicken? What about Choking him? I find that last step to be pretty easy.
:eek:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That is much better than the one I have been trying. This weekend's attempt has the taste and consistency of cottage cheese, but I didn't use any vinegar to initiate curding. I'm going to go ahead and toss this batch too.
Hopefully next weekend will turn out better.
You can also use Lemon Juice to initiate the curding.
(My parents, while not "hippeis", used to make yougurt all the time when I was growing up).

Have you tried using cheese-cloth to thicken it up a bit?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You can also use Lemon Juice to initiate the curding.
(My parents, while not "hippeis", used to make yougurt all the time when I was growing up).

Have you tried using cheese-cloth to thicken it up a bit?
1. No chicken wringing
2. I didn't cheese cloth it during bottling, but I likely will tonight. It's a but fluid for my taste.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Quick Q, on cheese clothing. How are you doing it?

I have been failing at all of my tries to date. I'm thinking that this next round I will lay the cheese cloth into a strainer, then lift and tie the top to let it drain a while. To empty, re-place it into the strainer, then scoop out.

Am I missing something to make this easier?
Thanks

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Okay, another question. Why after 2 days would my consistency go from near solid to near liquid again? Is it because I didn't cheese cloth it?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Quick Q, on cheese clothing. How are you doing it?

I have been failing at all of my tries to date. I'm thinking that this next round I will lay the cheese cloth into a strainer, then lift and tie the top to let it drain a while. To empty, re-place it into the strainer, then scoop out.

Am I missing something to make this easier?
Thanks

That is the way I do it... Not when making my own Yogurt, but if I'm making some Taziki and I started with regular Yogurt I will Cheesecloth it. Of course you need a Quadrouple thick layer of cheese-cloth or it all seeps right through. You can also squeeze it a little or twist it at the top to get any extra liquid out.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That is the way I do it... Not when making my own Yogurt, but if I'm making some Taziki and I started with regular Yogurt I will Cheesecloth it. Of course you need a Quadrouple thick layer of cheese-cloth or it all seeps right through. You can also squeeze it a little or twist it at the top to get any extra liquid out.
I was having leak though issues... I'm think I"m going to have to find a thicker cheesecloth.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Ok, Mark, what *exactly* did you do when you failed? Heating time/temperatures, ingredients, icebath, how long you held it at what temperature, etc.

My wife is ~3/3 using our sous vide setup and can't quite figure out what you're doing...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok, Mark, what *exactly* did you do when you failed? Heating time/temperatures, ingredients, icebath, how long you held it at what temperature, etc.

My wife is ~3/3 using our sous vide setup and can't quite figure out what you're doing...
This last round turned out well. A bit thin, but not bad. I had to run it through the cheese clothe, but lost ~ 1 cup of yogurt in that process. I bot two more cheese cloths today and will run it through an extra thickness to preserve the yogurt and lose the whey.

I ended up using Pesqueeb's frugalgirl.com recipe and it worked MUCH better. I had 2 mason jars worth during the week. I wasn't able to get it to Greek thickness or bitterness, but I think that will come with practice.

I think the first two times I was over heating and under cooling, amongst other issues. I tried the crockpot, but that failed miserably. The first time I tried I over heated and didn't ice bath it.

**I just re-read the directions from my last round. I read the times wrong and let it warm for about 3hrs too long (the warm bath to grow the culture). Trying again tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Checked my refridgerated yogurt this am. Still a bit watery, but there is some good underlying thickness. I will run through the cheese cloth this evening to see if I can stream some whey out.

I know two things that I might have done wrong this time:
1) used 2% fat vs. whole
2) let the cool bath drop the temp too much. I was in the 95* range (vs 120) when I added the starter cup.

We'll see how this ends.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Just get/make yourself a sous vide setup and all of your yogurt trouble's will go away. :rofl:

edit: Reread your last couple posts and I seriously have no idea w.t.f. you're doing wrong. We use 2% milk, cool it down below 110* (but then heat it back up to 110* in sous vide machine), and also hold it at 110* for 7+ hours. We also don't even bother using a cheesecloth. We're shooting for normal (Danon-style) yogurt, not Greek, but it's still solid 1-1.5 weeks later.

Last edited: