Quantcast

Honda RN01 frameset

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Racers simply think money equals speed.
Usually I agree with you, but at least for me, that's not the case.

I like having a nice bike, just because it feels good and makes me want to ride more. I'd be just as fast on something clapped out (most likely) but why punish yourself if you have the means to buy something nice?

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Unless there is some kind of patent infringement going on, I do not understand why they haven't brought this frame and technology to mass production.

There are sooooo many positive advantages to this frameset that it would crush all the competition. The frame and technology has also had the living crap kicked out it over the past few years.. so it works. Honda being a mass production master could easily get this frameset down to 5K and still have a good margin.

Just for the fact I wouldn't have to worry about killing a derailure during a race run is worth the money!

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
At least bikes get you outside and active. There are lots of people who have no problem with dropping $5000 on a T.V, $60,000 on a car...etc...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Honda is a proper gearbox bike Lahar is not.
How do you figure? Lahar runs gears in a box.
Are you a lawyer or something?Your getting a bit hung up on the words. Here's some more,Lahar needs 25ml of oil changed once a year,you can shift any time(backpedalling even),you can change as many gears as you like in one shift,the weight is off the swingarm,the Rohloff will probably outlast your car(even if it's a honda).
With your logic you could say the Honda runs a deraileur in it so it's not a gearbox.
Why am I even writting this.
Accelerates through bumps was good also.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Those are sexy....

If anyone had the ability to sell a cheaper DH setup, it would be Honda.
They have the chance to turn the industry on it's ear here.

They have massive state of the art production lines, tooling, an established distribution network (motorbike shops), and many people who want one.

Would be very easy for them to make a lot, and sell at shops for a comparatively cheap price.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Those are sexy....

If anyone had the ability to sell a cheaper DH setup, it would be Honda.
They have the chance to turn the industry on it's ear here.

They have massive state of the art production lines, tooling, an established distribution network (motorbike shops), and many people who want one.

Would be very easy for them to make a lot, and sell at shops for a comparatively cheap price.
Wurd. They can really commoditize the DH market maybe. There's no reason why with some nice mass production a 5k DH bike shouldn't be half the price.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
naaa still doesnt kill me, and Like they said before... speed equals money no the other way around.... but more money can come in for more speed heheh

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Oh god...every time my fingers get near the keys I have to fight the impulse to lash out. I usually lose these battles. Like overcoming a gag reflex: easier said than done.

Uhhhm, why are these bikes so desirable again? They are a bit hideous. I would hate not being able to have parts easily available when something goes wrong. Plus Japanese people talk funny.

Also if Honda can sell a CR125 for $5200 msrp, they can sell these for cheaper.

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Honda could prolly make it cheap and sell buttloads of them, but why would they? If ferrari made a cheap car they'd sell more as well, but at the same time the image value would go down. And I think that the comparison dh bike and motorbike is slightly irrelavant as well, this is a niche product, to the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, there's a bit of a difference between making high volume motor bikes (with a long lineage behind them) and low volme dh bikes. That being said, I don't see anything outrageously excotic manufacturing wise that would warrant that pricetag. Still desireable tho.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Would it really be a one season wonder?

Without knowing what the price is yet, no one knows if or how over priced it will be.

Is a 10k Armstrong Trek road bike overpriced?

If it is 10k for the frame, shock, and G-boxx is it overpriced when a nicolai is 9k?

BTW we are arguing about a bike that Honda has said in the past that they will never sell, and still have not made any claim they are building them.

I have been let down by Honda so many times in the past that I don't know why I even bother with thinking that the RN-01 will ever exist.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
How do you figure? Lahar runs gears in a box.
Are you a lawyer or something?Your getting a bit hung up on the words. Here's some more,Lahar needs 25ml of oil changed once a year,you can shift any time(backpedalling even),you can change as many gears as you like in one shift,the weight is off the swingarm,the Rohloff will probably outlast your car(even if it's a honda).
With your logic you could say the Honda runs a deraileur in it so it's not a gearbox.
Why am I even writting this.
Accelerates through bumps was good also.
Um.. yes... I do have a law degree, a Masters in fact...good spotting, I'm impressed.

What's with your comment about the oil change? I don't get the point of that, sorry.

Also, for the record, you can't shift to harder gears on a Rohloff when there is any pressure on the pedals, unlike derailleur system. You have to back off slightly with the Rohloff for it to shift to the next gear, so that comment doesn't make much of a point either.

Also can you please explain to me how the Lahar is similar to a Honda.

I have spent a day on the Lahar (Cam Cole's World Champs winning one in fact) in Morzine last year so I know a little bit about them.

I'm sure the Rohloff will out-last a Lahar too.

Cam's bike was pretty roached out when I got to it. Mind you, he had already done 2 months worth of 15+ runs a day on it.
Both the chains are exposed on the Lahar and therefor they were both loose, worn out and the bike was rattling, creaking and generally felt pretty sloppy.
The second chain came off on my last run when the rubber bungee holding the chain tensioner of snapped.
The headset was loose as well, Cam said he had needed to Araldite the bearings back in several times.
Cam often rolled past the bottom of the Pleney with the chains hanging off his bike.

Mind you, the back end was really nice and smooth and it made a really cool noise over the high frequency braking bumps and it seemed to carry more speed than most other bikes I've ridden. This was all good until it came to slowing it down. It carried its velocity a bit too well sometimes and it was hard for me to control through the really big braking bumps.
Take yours somewhere where there are decent hills and a chairlift, try doing 17+ runs a day on it and then tell everyone how maintanance free it is.

Can you describe the process for replacing a broken spoke on the Lahar?

The bit about the pubes is true by the way.

SLanD3r

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Um.. yes... I do have a law degree, a Masters in fact...
Do you also have a J.D.? just wondering because generally the LLM programs that I know of in the US and some other countries require a J.D.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i bet they could build a small motor with an inertia clutch that would bolt right into the same space as the gearbox. wouldn't that be a cool option? pedals when you want to race or ride the bikeparks, a motor when you want to freeride. You are your own shuttle, you kill the motor and you have a singlespeed for the trip down.

SLanD3r

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Im assuming you meant BS, if not nevermind this post.

According to the American Bar Association:

Graduate Degrees Defined

While an individual law school's degree may differ slightly by name to similar programs elsewhere, most degrees offered through law schools fall into three general categories:

1) Academic masters degrees for nonlawyers, such as:

M.S. Master of Science or Master of Studies
M.P.S. Master of Professional Studies

2) Post-J.D. law degrees for practicing lawyers and/or foreign lawyers seeking to practice in the U.S., such as:

LL.M. Master of Laws
J.M. Juris Master
M.C.L. Master of Comparative Law
M.J. Master of Jurisprudence

3) Research and academic-based doctorate level degrees, such as:

J.S.D. Doctor of Jurisprudence
S.J.D. Doctor of Judicial Science
D.C.L. Doctor of Comparative Law

I unjustifiably assumed category 2 instead of 1 due to the positive response to the original question of whether he was a "lawyer or something." I mistakingly focused on lawyer and not on the other related fields as implied by something.

Rosenamedpoop: any area you planning to specialize in or just going to be a general practitioner?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
cool! aaron puts a bit of himself in every frame he builds - hows that for passion?

in defense of the bike, most of your critical comments are related to this particular bikes state of tune, and not really indicative of design flaws. a roched bike is a roached bike.

-my rohloff shifts fine into taller gears under load; where it hangs up a bit is into lower gears under large load (ie, climbing a steep section; trying to grab a lower gear). not unlike derailleurs, you have to occasionally back off on the pressure a bit.

-i've never had any chain dropping issues. maybe the tensioner wasn't set up right, or a ring or chain was torqued.

-i believe the oil change comment was in regards to the uber low maintenance required of the rohloff (multi year, huge mileage lifespans with nothing other than an annual oil change). this is one of my favorite aspects (and i believe, an advantage over the derailleur in a box systems). shifts perfectly, all the time. never requires adjustment. love it.

-not sure what the spoke comment is about; the rear hub is a standard configuration with a bmx freewheel. nothing to it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Um.. yes... I do have a law degree, a Masters in fact...good spotting, I'm impressed.
What's with your comment about the oil change? I don't get the point of that, sorry.
Also, for the record, you can't shift to harder gears on a Rohloff when there is any pressure on the pedals, unlike derailleur system. You have to back off slightly with the Rohloff for it to shift to the next gear, so that comment doesn't make much of a point either.
Also can you please explain to me how the Lahar is similar to a Honda.
I have spent a day on the Lahar (Cam Cole's World Champs winning one in fact) in Morzine last year so I know a little bit about them.
I'm sure the Rohloff will out-last a Lahar too.
Cam's bike was pretty roached out when I got to it. Mind you, he had already done 2 months worth of 15+ runs a day on it.
Both the chains are exposed on the Lahar and therefor they were both loose, worn out and the bike was rattling, creaking and generally felt pretty sloppy.
The second chain came off on my last run when the rubber bungee holding the chain tensioner of snapped.
The headset was loose as well, Cam said he had needed to Araldite the bearings back in several times.
Cam often rolled past the bottom of the Pleney with the chains hanging off his bike.
Mind you, the back end was really nice and smooth and it made a really cool noise over the high frequency braking bumps and it seemed to carry more speed than most other bikes I've ridden. This was all good until it came to slowing it down. It carried its velocity a bit too well sometimes and it was hard for me to control through the really big braking bumps.
Take yours somewhere where there are decent hills and a chairlift, try doing 17+ runs a day on it and then tell everyone how maintanance free it is.
Can you describe the process for replacing a broken spoke on the Lahar?
Your fancy talk and Lahar slander can't hide the fact that your talking **** and steering away from the fact that you said the Lahar was not a gearbox bike. No talking around it,that's what you stated.
Oil comment=low maintanence=25ml changed once a year.
Shifting= you can shift under load to a harder gear with pressure on the pedals,maybee not super easy like XY9INE has stated,but non the less while pedalling you can shift,you can lawyer that one till your blue in the face bud.
I never stated how the Lahar was similer to the Honda.More word games.
Rohloff outlasting Lahar coment is arguably correct as the Lahar is put through alot more possible destroying situations and getting attacked from various different forces as opposed to the Rohloff with it's fairly consistent task.
Both chains are exposed on the Lahar,hmmm what bike doesn't have exposed chain?The Honda has one going over a nylon part on the side under tension. The Lahars chains overall are probably furthest from the ground(read dirt)than most other bikes,so um your point is? Any neglected or old chain will have issues,will it not?
Same goes for any bike,but I doubt any other bike would have been performing aswell as the Lahar after the same amount of runs. I'd love to see the Honda after that many runs,concidering at Rotorua they were stripping it down completly after only hours ridding,possibly only a few runs,whilst Cammerons bike that had come back from racing a year over seas had a 25ml oil change and new cable and chains and that was it,before racing etc. One win for Lahar,none for Honda but that's a moot point.
A $1 peice of bungy cord broke,you do realise it can be tied back together if replacing is not an option?
Hmm rear wheel spoke replacing,unscrew axle with anything less than the size of a pencil that won't break or bend. Remove wheel,remove BMX sprocket,replace spoke,and reinstall.
As far as braking bumps go, the problem is either you or bike/shock set up,brakes or a combo,as there's very little logical argument to say that any bike is superior to a high pivot bike with a floater braking through braking bumps,especially the Honda.As far as braking bumps go,the lower the pivot,the less active the suspension.Once the rear axle passes the height of the pivot it then has to follow it's arc of travel and start going forward,not really ideal when it's being dragged into an object,so the bike must then be raised up over the bump as the suspension isn't working as well. This is without braking,then add a non floating brake to the mix and it get's even worse.
I'm sure you'd complain if there was a hair in your soup,the pube thing must be driving you mad.
Sorry for this total thread derailment,back to the Honda worshiping.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Good work Honda if you are finally going to sell them. I'm happy to give anyone advice if they want to throw away the one season cheesemetal and replace it with a nice light, strong single tube from gearbox to head.

DamoDH you are just plain making things up. Cams bike had the same chain tensioner bungy, untouched when It got back to NZ. It never dropped its chains. Cams words when he got home after a season in europe last year: " It just went mint the whole time!"
It is still racing, now under Punter in europe and the headset bearings are still tight and never needed reseating after an international season, a NZ National season, etc. Cam said before handing it over in april: "Its still as good as new" Lahars are universally known for being so completely silent that Its hard to get photos because you never hear them coming and never getting sloppy in any pivots. They go for several seasons on the same chains and never break them. The only time that rear chain has dropped was when a complete git that everyone hates called Jason Marsh ( a poo-pipe cleaner not a lawyer) thought it was smart to sabotage his countrymen and snip mostly through the piece of tube rubber used on the chain tensioner in europe in 2004. Bungy cord instead makes this far harder to do and still has the dampening qualities that metal springs don't. Why GP motocycles use rubber chain tens springs.
If you have trouble in braking bumps its because you are a silly boy who hasn't noticed how much faster you are going on the Lahar because it is handling it so much better than anything you have ever been near before. The floating brake and correct pivot height eliminate any pitching in braking bumps with fully smooth susp performance and much faster stopping. If your pivot is too low then bucking occurs.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Man F#@^ that, Im not spending that much money on a bike. Ill stick with my honda DH/FR bike instead! This bike gave the the confidence to hit 30-60ft gaps and big drops! Ive won tons of races and spent the money I saved up on its great price on wood and other things to make sick trails to hit up on this bike!

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
Good work Honda if you are finally going to sell them. I'm happy to give anyone advice if they want to throw away the one season cheesemetal and replace it with a nice light, strong single tube from gearbox to head.

DamoDH you are just plain making things up. Cams bike had the same chain tensioner bungy, untouched when It got back to NZ. It never dropped its chains. Cams words when he got home after a season in europe last year: " It just went mint the whole time!"
It is still racing, now under Punter in europe and the headset bearings are still tight and never needed reseating after an international season, a NZ National season, etc. Cam said before handing it over in april: "Its still as good as new" Lahars are universally known for being so completely silent that Its hard to get photos because you never hear them coming and never getting sloppy in any pivots. They go for several seasons on the same chains and never break them. The only time that rear chain has dropped was when a complete git that everyone hates called Jason Marsh ( a poo-pipe cleaner not a lawyer) thought it was smart to sabotage his countrymen and snip mostly through the piece of tube rubber used on the chain tensioner in europe in 2004. Bungy cord instead makes this far harder to do and still has the dampening qualities that metal springs don't. Why GP motocycles use rubber chain tens springs.
If you have trouble in braking bumps its because you are a silly boy who hasn't noticed how much faster you are going on the Lahar because it is handling it so much better than anything you have ever been near before. The floating brake and correct pivot height eliminate any pitching in braking bumps with fully smooth susp performance and much faster stopping. If your pivot is too low then bucking occurs.
for the win

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
by the way...i just noticed somebody is lying...cameron cole's chain either dropped a lot or it didn't....whats it gonna be?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
One of my biggest dreams - to have Honda RN01. I want it sooo bad. I wonder how much they'd cost...
With SHOWA makin stuff, and having a large factory to manufacture with the cost shouldn't bee too expensive. I can see like $5K frame, fork, shock maybe. They will not price themselves out of market demand. Maybe a little high but somewhat reasonible. I have also heard about the new HONDA SUPERSTOREs they are trying to develop. All Honda products from cars to generators!!! Wonder if that bike will be there?

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
it would be way sicker if honda used their mass production capabilities, cranked out like a billion of these and they were dirt cheap...I'm talking cheaper than a Mongoose EC-D cheap

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
welll.... i know our shop has sold 22G road bikes..... so... yes lots of ppl buy 12g road bikes.. quite a few actually.. so depending on who u talk to.. might get a honda for insane prices

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
With SHOWA makin stuff, and having a large factory to manufacture with the cost shouldn't bee too expensive. I can see like $5K frame, fork, shock maybe. They will not price themselves out of market demand. Maybe a little high but somewhat reasonible. I have also heard about the new HONDA SUPERSTOREs they are trying to develop. All Honda products from cars to generators!!! Wonder if that bike will be there?
i can see myself trying to stay there overnight. like a kid getting locked in the mall.