Quantcast

Honda RN01 on Ebay Ger !!!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Honda on German ebay. Funny as I found it on pinkbike ;) Minnaars stolen bike?
Well it's actualy a news from a german forum but I'm not that good at understaing it. What do you think monkeys? Copy or the real thing? Seems to me if some1 wanted a copy they'd make it ridable without a gearbox if they had none ;)

http://cgi.ebay.de/Hond-RN-1-Weltcup-Team-Downhill-Bike_W0QQitemZ130292605201QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSport_Radsport_Fahrräder?hash=item130292605201&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1229|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ebayphotohosting

The PB topic If any1 interested
http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=69255&pagenum=1#commentid1632663

Last edited:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Its finished.
It sure as hell looks like it but was certain aspects not diffrent on the bikes that where stolen?
Brakes?formula or they akebono?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i love how they put an old vanilla rc on it... and the swingarm hits the frame!
hmmm, clearly that is not an old vanilla RC and the swingarm isn't actually bolted to the frame.

the gearbox is missing because Honda never stored the frame and box together when the bike wasn't being ridden (in case of theft). looks like the original Showa fork and shock, wheels (custom hubs had to be used), and frame as far as i can tell. I'm guessing whoever stole it sold off the non-descript parts long ago.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
hmmm, clearly that is not an old vanilla RC and the swingarm isn't actually bolted to the frame.

the gearbox is missing because Honda never stored the frame and box together when the bike wasn't being ridden (in case of theft). looks like the original Showa fork and shock, wheels (custom hubs had to be used), and frame as far as i can tell. I'm guessing whoever stole it sold off the non-descript parts long ago.
it would be interesting to see if Honda got a hold of it or not. Hell I was going to bid on it for the fork and shock alone :busted:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Not that there was that much left ;) It's a great idea to steal a bike with 80% of unsellable value that you won't be able to ride anyway. Stealing a bridge would be smarter (and apparently some ppl done it around here and almost succeeded ;) )

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Holy crap... sure looks like one of the HRC bikes...

EDIT: Whoops - Hill's bike was the one that got jacked in Canada that same year... The Honda bikes were indeed stolen at Willingen.

Lee - I thought Honda Techs started taking off the g-boxes and storing them seperately from the rest of the bike after the theft incident...? Could be wrong.

The rear shock - if it is original - is a Showa unit. I'm pretty sure of this.

Damn... What a sad state for such an elegant piece of engineering to be in... almost like looking at a stripped Ferrari...

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah... blood pours out of my ears every time I read P-Bike banter so I didn't click it. Acadian and his reviews are the best and only reasons to go there.

:)

...although I get the feeling that the Monkey comes dangerously close to P-Bike territory from time to time... :biggrin:

I said CLOSE... not actually "there"...

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Elegant ?? It was a piece of over rated crap single pivot reinvented nothingness and has been mercifully laid to rest
wasn't over rated...The deal with honda wasn't the suspension design. The suspension tuning itself with the HUGE level of support along with the gearbox was what was so great about them. The suspension off that bike would be great, but those things were tuned and monitored nonstop for each course by showa techs.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
It looks like one of the super old original Rn1 protos that the japanese factory riders rode.
only the G-Cross team had the carbon sub frame and fork guards. clearly this looks to be the bike that was stolen in Germany in '05.

SKC: not sure for how long the practice continued, but it was standard procedure for the Honda mechanics to remove the gear boxes after practice and store them separate from the frames since day one in '04..

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Nah, they were stolen out of Hondas truck in Willingen, Germany.

The techs were a bit stressed that morning, to say the least.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Yep Germany.
Best forgetting about that track though.
If it's a copy thought it's a bloody good one at that.

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
bike looks to be in poor form

bit OT but canberras such a **** track, puts australian tracks to shame and gives us a bad rep, come over and ride some real tracks haha.

back on topic now

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Well Having been around long enough, I can say I think with confidence that the bike on the e-bay ad is not of the same frame design and or part list as the G-Cross World Team Bikes, looks a lot more like the earlier japenese bikes and it is decked out with old Mavic UST wheels set, Tioga tyres and parts, Akebono brakes and carbon bars none of which the G-cross World team rode on in '05.

Looks a lot more like a bike that Idegawa or some other Japenese rider rode in 04, especcially seen as it has G-Shock and FOX stickers on it. Preety odd how it is in Germany, seen as all those rigs where ment to be seen to in Japan, I'm sure MArtin Whitely is on Ridemonkey and has seen this, he'll be more sure of what's what.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
only the G-Cross team had the carbon sub frame and fork guards. clearly this looks to be the bike that was stolen in Germany in '05.

SKC: not sure for how long the practice continued, but it was standard procedure for the Honda mechanics to remove the gear boxes after practice and store them separate from the frames since day one in '04..
I thought the Honda bikes were around in '03? I quit racing after the US Open in September of '03 and I feel like I remember seeing one at the National Races.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Technically... yes. But at that point (2003) the RN01 was still being worked out in proto form and was not being officially raced yet (as far as I know) Sorry for the small pics, but they are from my archive:

Incidentally the fork on this (proto) bike is a Kayaba unit...

...I think Akula is absolutely correct - I have some pics of the early Japanese models from 04 - 05 (I think) as well as Minnaar's machine from around that same time. I'll post em' up in a bit...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK - so here is the RN01 from the German Auction:

...and here is an early Japanese RN01:

...NOTE the red areas that I circled on the shock mount on the swing-arm. This area has a kind of truss structure to it whereas Minnaar's bike does not:

Could be wrong on this - that pic is from MBUK - but I'm not entirely sure of the date - might be MBUK 04 or 05...

Also: Note how narrow (from top to bottom in a vertical plane) the swing arm is on the German RN01 and the Japanese RN01 compared to Minnaar's rig... in addition look at the area where the gas tank would normally be near the HT (headtube) where the TT and DT meet. The "gas tank" on the Japanese RN01 and the German RN01 is a box-type structure where Minnaar's rig has a more rounded teardrop shape to it...

As far as the flying buttress style seat mast is concerned - I think there are too many variations to really use it as a point of reference or identification seeing as it is a small part that could easily be replaced it will (rider preference, track suitability, etc...) You'll notice that on Minnaar's bike from the MBUK shoot he has one of the earlier pre-carbon aluminum masts. Also there is what looks like a tab or a link that is used to give extra position options for the mast - it sticks up on the frame directly forward of the mast where it secures to the TT. Later in 04 or possibly 05 the G-Cross RN01's were fitted with a carbon mast:

Not sure if this is Matti's or Greg's rig (the number plate will tell if someone wants to trace it through UCI results from 04' to 05') but note how the mast has much more surface area to it than the one on the Japanese RN01 or the German RN01...

Akula and I could be totally wrong because who know how many different iterations and running changes there really were for these bikes and what parts were used when, (frame iterations aside - don't forget the drivetrain changes - initially the RN01 came with a CVT gearbox designed by Honda but that was later replaced by the "derailleur in a box" maybe around early 05'?) but so far the evidence suggests it may be an RN01 from the Japanese circuit. Either that or it really IS Minnaar's bike but someone put Akebono brakes and rotors on it for some reason...

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's legit, it isn't a copy. Whether it is Minaar's or not, there isn't supposed to be any rideable versions of this bike still floating around. Honda is already all over it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Oh - defintely! Totally legit - I was just trying to figure out where the bike came from... which now that I think about it is pretty much impossible considering how many changes were made to it.

:think:

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Well Having been around long enough, I can say I think with confidence that the bike on the e-bay ad is not of the same frame design and or part list as the G-Cross World Team Bikes, looks a lot more like the earlier japenese bikes and it is decked out with old Mavic UST wheels set, Tioga tyres and parts, Akebono brakes and carbon bars none of which the G-cross World team rode on in '05.

Looks a lot more like a bike that Idegawa or some other Japenese rider rode in 04, especcially seen as it has G-Shock and FOX stickers on it. Preety odd how it is in Germany, seen as all those rigs where ment to be seen to in Japan, I'm sure MArtin Whitely is on Ridemonkey and has seen this, he'll be more sure of what's what.
Yeah I'm convinced it isn't Greg's bike but it is a massive coincidence that of all the eBay pages in all the towns in all the world it had to turn up on the german one...

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
It's legit, it isn't a copy. Whether it is Minaar's or not, there isn't supposed to be any rideable versions of this bike still floating around. Honda is already all over it.
FYI, Mr Min. has his. This pic was taken by me a month ago at Greg Minnaar Racing. Not denying that its legit. Hope it is Gregs one that was stolen and the retard who stole it suffers painfully.