Quantcast

Hood roll call

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
So get this......
The Hike to the start was 1.25 miles, with a 23% grade hill climb in there.
Downhill was 1.50 miles and started at 3258ft and ened at 2575ft.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I missed it, my back is still out. It was a fun race last year, but the uphill would have killed me if I would have tried.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
oh my they are depressing:disgust:

we need a real race, FAST
Just remember, most of the fastest times where done on short travel bikes.
I personally think we need to let Petr know that we would rather start later and race the short course at Ski Bowl then to race The Bridal Trail. Push everything back a month. The only race in Oregon scheduled in August is the 12th at Willamette Pass.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I don't mind racing the Bridal Trail. It may be a bogus downhill race, but its a good course for people who don't ride downhill all that much. Plus its a good preseason warm up race.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I personally think we need to let Petr know that we would rather start later and race the short course at Ski Bowl then to race The Bridal Trail. Push everything back a month. The only race in Oregon scheduled in August is the 12th at Willamette Pass.
If by later you mean in early June he has that covered.
Petr has traditionally done the first DH race the first weekend in June but I think over the last few years he has learned that it is too much of a crap shoot for the upper bowl that first weekend and would assume that is why he pushed it back to the second weekend. Could be wrong but it would make sence.
The first race on the bridal trail is just a "bonus" race.

As for August, Petr has been doing this a long time and the thought is that people just don't show up for races in August. Maybe a combination of the heat, family obligations, etc, but people just don't show up.
I remember talking to Gino from R&R about this a while back and he compared it to the late ski season, people just stop coming.
After Labor Day things get a little more settled with families and all and the temperature starts to come down. So you get a few late season races.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I've made all the races except 1 since I'ce started racing. I missed the last race 2 years ago due to Illness. It cost me 3rd place overall in the series. I feel that the die hard racer will be there no matter when he puts it on and that later, when you can actually REALLY downhill, is better then just putting something on just to do it.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I've made all the races except 1 since I'ce started racing. I missed the last race 2 years ago due to Illness. It cost me 3rd place overall in the series. I feel that the die hard racer will be there no matter when he puts it on and that later, when you can actually REALLY downhill, is better then just putting something on just to do it.
Not arguing as everyone has their own opinion.
But... he had 123 riders according to the results.
I think the last few times I raced at Skibowl (didn't do any at all last year) he had just around 100 so it sounds like a pretty good turn out.
The early races are always popular (and fun) because most people haven't raced since last fall. They are willing to take what they can get?

As far as diehards I used to be about as diehard as you could get. My first year racing I did 16 DH and 14 DS races. From April to October if their was a race within driving distance (driving distance differs from person to person?) I was there sleeping in my car.
Point being that yes their are some diehards, but as a business, the 30% that are diehards don't pay the bills.
I know first hand; when we put on our races we got ~75 the first race (total mudfest), ~50 the second one (July?) ~40 the thrid one (August) and ~55 the last one (November?). Knowing that DH'ers (and maybe mtb'ers in general) are a fickle bunch, we stopped putting on the races.

capslayer

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Olympia
Speak for yourself! The Bridal Trail is a sweet season opener. That's like saying they should just not put on the sea otter classic downhill race anymore because it's not "real downhill." There are a lot of people who show up and do the bridal trail race because it's super fun and something different. Plus it forces you to come with a different strategy than a regular DH race, you have to be fit and you have to really think about your bike set up.
I think everyone should let Petr know how great of an event he put on, and that we can't wait for next years bridal trail season opener!

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Don't get me wrong, I love Petr and his races. How many of you actually help him? I'm the guy who usually does the racer rankings for him and I usually have them done BEFORE you go home after the race, so while your drinking and partying, I'm crunching numbers. I say we should list it as a SUPER D and not a DH. Ask my cousin what a downhill is, Ever heard of Cycle Cyndicate? He put on the World Cup race at Angel fire, he does Blast the Mass, Chilli Challenge, and so on, but alas he sold the business to Yeti Cycle and there putting it on under Big Foot Productions. I'll still be at EVERY race of Petr's and Randy's, but for Bridal, I don't think its a DOWNHILL, Super D YES, DH NO.

capslayer

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Olympia
Nice name drops. I think we all appreciate the fact that you donate your time to help with the rankings after all the races while everyone else gets to start their celebration.
I am helping organize a race series right now and have helped with races in the past as well. It takes a lot of your own time to organize a race, let alone a race series. It sucks when you put all that time into it, when you could have been out riding and having fun, just to have someone whine about how the course wasn't up to their standards.
I know what a downhill course is, I don't need to ask your cousin. I've been racing skibowl since 2000, and the course has hardly changed at all since then. I think throwing the bridal trail into the series mixes things up a bit, and helps you get in shape for the skibowl races. I think the bridal trail should still be listed as a downhill course, but maybe with a better description of what to expect for riders who have never raced it before. It's not long enough to be considered a super d course IMO.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Then lets start from the drop off point, and we can call it the Mt Hood Skibowl Super D. That way it makes it 2.75 miles, with atleast a 23% climb in there. It would make the race atleast 15 minutes long. Is that good enough for a Super D? Hmm...I'm liking this more already. So where are you trying to get a series started?

capslayer

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Olympia
HELL YEAH, lets mention something to him for next year! I think Petr should jump on the super D wagon, there's got to be enough trail up on skibowl to put something together.
I still think the bridal trail DH spring fling should be a yearly race, regardless of if there is snow on skibowl or not. It's one of my favorite races, and I think a lot of other racers look forward to it too.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
That would make the Mt Hood Skibowl Downhill series a 4 race series, maybe your 3 best races count in the race points. Have the Super D not count in the series. I think that would be cool. This way it also sets peoples mind for what type of bike to bring and what type of race there in for. I also know the guys at the Start line would LOVE this idea alot more, that way they won't have to hike in. Also it would be alot more fan friendly. They could watch you start the race and then go down the road and meet you at the finish line and ask what took you so long...LOL. God, I see me finishing this in under 30 minutes, I hope....LOL!!!

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I like that race for no other reason than the fact you can compare times with other classes. You can't normally compare your sport time to a pro rider since the courses are different...

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
We have a DVD quality video available on Bones Over Metal.com of the first Mt. Hood race. It's in the member section.

See you all at Beacon. We will have two HD cameras there covering the race and the practice day. Peace!

- Mark

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
its pretty cool that the only two shots of riding in the race were of harry my best friend and tyler my brother.
i gotta pretty tight dh team
just wait till you see our outfits at beacon.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
its pretty cool that the only two shots of riding in the race were of harry my best friend and tyler my brother.
i gotta pretty tight dh team
just wait till you see our outfits at beacon.

Actually, that's not the whole piece. The home page just has the teaser. The real piece is much longer and with all the pros, semi-pros and most of the experts. Like I said, it's in the member section, so you got to be a member to see it. I know Harry is a member, so he'll be able to see it. Peace!

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
Actually, that's not the whole piece. The home page just has the teaser. The real piece is much longer and with all the pros, semi-pros and most of the experts. Like I said, it's in the member section, so you got to be a member to see it. I know Harry is a member, so he'll be able to see it. Peace!
downloading as we speak, and thanks mark for throwing me in there!

EDIT: but I'm having trouble viewing it, I think I need quicktime 7.1 and it won't let me log in sometimes

EDIT again, I got it and I might add that mark, you did a really nice job of getting everyone in the shots! I saw josh, you evan, and a bunch of other people I recognized, trevor and some more

everyone get a membership, they are only 10 bucks and you get to see the whole thing and all the past ones in the full versions and full screen, and you get put into a raffle for a hardie frame

not to spam or anything

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I might add that mark, you did a really nice job of getting everyone in the shots! I saw josh, you evan, and a bunch of other people I recognized, trevor and some more

everyone get a membership, they are only 10 bucks and you get to see the whole thing and all the past ones in the full versions and full screen, and you get put into a raffle for a hardie frame

Thanks. I was surprised at how much coverage I was able to get considering I also raced. See you all at Beacon if you're going. Peace!