Quantcast

Hope Axle Swap - End Cap Problem?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I purchased a 142x12mm axle and end cap combo off of Amazon Ebay. It arrived today and it is pretty obvious that someone in California had these made for cheap. I am guessing that they aren't genuine Hope parts; the axle didn't even need to be pressed into the bearings, no O-rings in the grooves in the end caps and the axle itself feels like its made out of cheese like those craptacular derailleur hangers that come with some bikes.

Anyways, with the help of a youtube video, it seems that the pocket inside one of the end caps is not deep enough. It won't seat all the way up against the seal. I examined the axle and it is the exact same length as the original and all of the bearing seats are in the same spots.

Am I dumb or is this axle kit a piece of doodoo?

The picture below shows the new axle with the new end cap fully seated.

Gross...

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe this is just a derp-derp moment? I put the wheel into the drop outs and it seems to fit perfectly fine, so maybe that gap is supposed to be there? Eh...

Uhhh bond shed moment.......where'd the rest of the bike go?

Note: There is a human skull on the shelf in the background.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe this is just a derp-derp moment? I put the wheel into the drop outs and it seems to fit perfectly fine, so maybe that gap is supposed to be there? Eh...

Uhhh bond shed moment.......where'd the rest of the bike go?

Note: There is a human skull on the shelf in the background.
The gap is a mud seal. It allows dirt to build up and block contaminants from getting into the works. It is the latest in high tech sealing. It is also 100% organic, raw and vegan.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The gap is a mud seal. It allows dirt to build up and block contaminants from getting into the works. It is the latest in high tech sealing. It is also 100% organic, raw and vegan.
Hope will be selling certified mud for the gap for $17/lb.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I swapped end caps on my hope last year and didn't run into any of these troubles. I can't be of any help. I did not order on e-bay and my parts came in a hope package.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is there an enduring
I swapped end caps on my hope last year and didn't run into any of these troubles. I can't be of any help. I did not order on e-bay and my parts came in a hope package.
I would have paid the extra cash if I had known these weren't made by Hope. I hate finicky crap like this.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I think I only paid like $19, but I didn't get the axle too, just the x12 end caps (I was converting 150-157, but it's the same caps to convert 135 to 142)

LAP

Chimp
Mar 5, 2016
Hey Canadmos, I think you are simply missing your non drive seal. I made the same mistake last week while rebuilding my non-evo Pro 2. I think its the same seal for both non and Evo hubs.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hey Canadmos, I think you are simply missing your non drive seal. I made the same mistake last week while rebuilding my non-evo Pro 2. I think its the same seal for both non and Evo hubs.
I had the seal in there. Its just the end cap that is weird. I have the wheel mounted in the frame and every is lined up and functions fine. :confused: