Quantcast

Hope hubs, dt swish?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody have one of the newer hope pro 2 evos? It's called an evo so it must be totally rad.

I need a new hub for a trailbike wheelset and am debating the purty hope vs the far more generic dt 350. I understand the dt might be bulletproof, but are the hopes still loud as eff? Or has the volume been turned down on the 40pt hubs?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got some hope 2 evos on my dirtjumper. They're light, but yeah still loud as hell and the engagement sucks. I probably notice the engagement more because all my pedaling is really quick punchy stuff on that bike but personally, I wouldn't want them on a trail bike. They'd suck for anywhere you need to do any ratchet pedaling on bumpy climbs.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
you don't want either of those. hadley.

:D

A close friend has a Hope Pro 2 Evo and likes it. his is the 24pt, pretty loud.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I always had good luck with Hopes, not sure if I've owned the Evos... But my current hub of choice are the TRS+ from E.13 they build such a stiff wheel and have instant engagement. I can deal with the added weight because I'm riding an aggressive 29er and having a stiff wheel is more important than 50-60 grams. I love the hubs so much I'm trying to destroy my rims so I can re-lace the hubs to some carbon rims.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hopes are good for the front - cheap, light. For the rear, I like dt-swiss.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I moved to a 24 pt. Pro 2 Evo on my trail bike when I swapped to a 12mm through axle. Had a Halo Supadrive before. When running a chain guide, the difference in engagement was noticeable, but tolerable. Now that I dropped the guide for a N/W ring and clutch and have no drag, I can't ****ing stand it, it's terrible. Feels like I'm riding a Huffy.

There are some videos on YouTube that show the old Evo and the new 40t ratchet version, and the new one is a lot quieter, but still noisy. I'm planning to give the new version a try as soon as I can stop buying other parts and have the money.

IMO, if you buy Hope, buy the 40t version, the old stuff feels like crap.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Those 40pt Pro 2 Evos seem like a solid option.
You can very easily reduce the volume by flattening the springs (within reason) - the stock setup on the older hubs basically pushed the pawl out much further than it needed to, hence more noise and drag than required. The pawl only has to be pushed into the ratchet completely, as once it engages the spring does nothing. Unless of course you were implying the noise was a good thing - personally it was the drag that annoyed me.

Sounds like the new 40pt ones might be sorted though:
The quicker ratchet also makes for a slightly quieter action (but don't worry it's not too quiet)
For what it's worth, I run Hope hubs all round on everything, but I rate the rear hubs more highly than the fronts. The fronts need a bigger bearing size in my book, they get rough in half a season. It's not a big issue or failure, just an annoyance. I've been running a custom 48pt Evo on rear for ages now and it's been great, smooth and on original bearings.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I have a 40T hope that's been good so far. For 190 bucks or so from UK online retailers w/ free shipping, it is becoming a default choice these days. Still like my CKs and Hadley's, but.....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you only want the Hope because it looks a bit nicer that's silly, run at DT Swiss because they are awesome and are probably made by people with perfectly straight teeth. I hate my Hope hub, it makes me want to own a fixie, so damn loud even with squashed springs.

I read on here the other day that Acros hubs are supposed to be quiet but they are big money.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nah, I have the option of either and don't really have an opinion. I like the handy madedness of the hope, but the dt has an arguably better drive system. I just didn't know if the hopes were worth bothering with at all or not.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have both hope and dt (440). I definitely like the dt better (with the 36pt ratchet). The engagement is adequate , the hubs are quiet when you use the dt grease in the ratchet, and they are super reliable.
The only downfall of the dt is that the 36 pt ratchet is expensive, and the drive side bearing is very difficult to change (even with the special tool). however it will almost never need to be replaced. My set of hubs is ancient, and I just now had to replace the bearings.
The one thing I did like about the hope was that it was loud enough that hikers could here me coming .

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The one thing I did like about the hope was that it was loud enough that hikers could here me coming .
That is what I like about mine as well. Engagement, as others have mentioned, isn't anything special. I find that it is mostly okay though.

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anyone that's ever had to change the bearings on both a DT Swiss rear hub and a Hope rear hub will happily recommend the Hope over the DT Swiss.

The DT Swiss hubs suck to change bearings on. So bad.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
This is true. I can no longer recommend DT swiss hubs because of that and their retardedly soft cassette body. It just gets so chewed up. And when you talk ot them "it's a wear item". A $100 wear item...wonderful.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anyone that's ever had to change the bearings on both a DT Swiss rear hub and a Hope rear hub will happily recommend the Hope over the DT Swiss.

Never had to change the bearings, but changing the freewheel mech (star-drive) was cake, no tools required. I put out monstrous torque and have never met a hub I couldn't strip, but the DT would last a few seasons for me before I had to change the mech and when I did, it was simple and relatively inexpensive. It's a great system, simple, but light and strong. Hope on the other hand uses standard pawl designs, which if you put out lots of torque, this is usually a weakness.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Whichever DT hub needs the tool to get the freehub body off sucks, such a pain in the bum!

The one I have in the garage comes off by hand but there is a star ratchet model that won't.

I just screwed something up in my Hadley Dinosaur and it skips under power, may try a bit less grease.

Is there anything wrong with Taiwanese Hubs from Novatec or similar companies? I have a Nukeproof which is rubbish but there has to be more than a few that are good, any suggestions?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Whichever DT hub needs the tool to get the freehub body off sucks, such a pain in the bum!

The one I have in the garage comes off by hand but there is a star ratchet model that won't.

I just screwed something up in my Hadley Dinosaur and it skips under power, may try a bit less grease.

Is there anything wrong with Taiwanese Hubs from Novatec or similar companies? I have a Nukeproof which is rubbish but there has to be more than a few that are good, any suggestions?
did you use grease on the pawls? I use synthetic 70wt redline gear oil with good results. Slick honey on the needle bearing, generously dab a q-tip in redline and dab the pawls with it.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
Hadley, their hubs are awesome and easy to service and convertible to different axle sizes with the right tools. I am also lucky enough to live only 30 minutes away from their shop which is in upland, Ca. They are great people and make an outstanding product. I was in their shop the other day picking up a few tools, their customer service and technical tips were 2nd to none. As long as hadley makes hubs, they will always be my first choice.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Hadley, their hubs are awesome and easy to service and convertible to different axle sizes with the right tools. I am also lucky enough to live only 30 minutes away from their shop which is in upland, Ca. They are great people and make an outstanding product. I was in their shop the other day picking up a few tools, their customer service and technical tips were 2nd to none. As long as hadley makes hubs, they will always be my first choice.
ditto. I live on the east coast and have dealt with them over the phone, very knowledgeable and helpful. quick shipping too when I need something

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i picked up a set of dh wheels with a hope rear hub lightly used last year. they're well made and all, but considering how much they cost (retail) i wish they'd have better engagement.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm definitely in this camp.
I used to own a pile of DT hubs, but after going through the pain of removing the drive ring to change the bearings (even with the correct tool), I wouldn't own one again. The Hopes on the other hand are very simple to overhaul.

so damn loud even with squashed springs.
Done it wrong if that's the case - I've had mine close to silent with squashed springs and a bit of grease. I usually set the springs so they are pushing the pawls just beyond their seated position.

In any case, for those complaining about engagement and loudness - take note of the part where they've been updated to a faster engaging and quieter design. 24 is erring on too little, but 40 is fine.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
hmmm, so it looks like the DT still ships with the 18pt engagement, and 36 is an upgrade? really? that's retarded.
When I got the 18pt hub, I thought I'd upgrade but it's totally fine as is. That was 8 years ago.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
When I got the 18pt hub, I thought I'd upgrade but it's totally fine as is. That was 8 years ago.
I can't/won't do 18pt. I've had a couple cheaper shimano hubs like that, and I actually feel that that's the most significant upgrade you can make to a cheap bike. 72 and 36, not much difference, but 18 and 36, huge. That's 10 degrees of rotation.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I can't/won't do 18pt. I've had a couple cheaper shimano hubs like that, and I actually feel that that's the most significant upgrade you can make to a cheap bike. 72 and 36, not much difference, but 18 and 36, huge. That's 10 degrees of rotation.
I hear you but it doesn't affect my riding at all. I also ride on a hope trials/single-speed hub with 80pt of engagement... and go between them both w/o thinking twice. Only difference is that I enjoy the quiet and lack of stares when I'm not on the 80pt.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i had a pro 2 evo on the rear on my dh rig.

it did its job but thats about it.. for as much as i paid for the hub, i will be trying something new next time. engagement points were low.. usually im not bothered by it but i would have liked something higher.

the cassette sound also annoyed me (although, like that even matters).:nopity:

i want to try the new atom lob 102 hub.. although im not in the mood to drop another 200 bones on a rear hub right now.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the fresh pair of hadley hubs sitting here weigh 170g front (xc 15mm), 320g rear (142x12 xx1).

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
::PSA::

Anyone that is bothered by the noise from the Hope hub, do not get an E.13. It's like the hope hub on steroids, the carbon/large body of the hub only helps to amplify the noise of the ratchets.

::PSA::