Not open for further replies.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Boston, Massachusetts.

:mumble:

If I created slogans for liscense plates, the "Commonwealth" of Massachusetts' would be called "The Cancer of the Union." Boston is great, if you like 98% humidity all the time, sun-followed by rain-followed by sun-followed by a thunderstorm-all in the course of 2 hours, and winters where it doesn't actually snow, it just kind of slushes or gets 30 below with wind chill overnight. I hope you played a lot of frogger when you were a kid- driving down 95 makes me feel like I am that little green amphibian, only I don't start over if I get squished. Don't plan on being anywhere for a while- Massachusetts drivers love traffic jams. They LOVE them! The best part is, after you slow down for an extra half an hour and finally pass whatever it is you're slowing down for, there's nothing there. No dead bodies, no naked ladies, no cop, no merging traffic. Just traffic for the hell of it. Why not? And the roads? Forget about it, I think every intersection and street in the city and surrounding areas was designed by an alcoholic and magnum of Beam. Every civil engineer in Boston should be shot, then shot again, just to be sure. Well, how about living in Boston? I could get a penthouse just about anywhere else for the amount that I pay to live in a dump in the ghetto. What about the people? You've got to be either rich, or emo in order to live here. That's what I've discovered. I think all the normal people moved out a long time ago. Maybe that's why all the students at MIT are foreign- the smart ones left a long time ago. Ok, fine, at least you can get around the city easily....are you kidding? The green line runs so rarely you had better add 30 minutes to your T ride just to get on a train. Add to that all the bars close at 2 and the T closes at 1230. Hope you brought 15 bucks for a cab. Don't get me started on the Red Sox. This is the year? I thought last year was the year? Hey I got an idea, why don't we make it right up until the end then choke really bad? There's something we've never seen before. I've never seen a place filled with more high-strung idiots than here. Boston will eat your soul. Don't come here ever. EVER.

I guess it does have some redeeming qualities- you can get chinese food delivered until 2 and there are some decent bars/clubs. Not enough to convince me, I'm getting out ASAP, and I'm bringing my bike. Even the relatively Dead-end hometown of syracuse has better riding options than here. :thumb: At the very least, boston has made me grateful for the time I do get to spend on my bike.

Dec 3, 2003
SoCal
Im from Pomona, California (actually a small town called Phillips Ranch). Although the city has a bad rep, there a lots of riding areas around us. About a 20 min drive I can get to Marshall Canyon and Claremont Wilderness Park. Nice places to ride. There is also Chino Hills State Park and a little further down is Santiago Oaks Trail. Both great spots to ride, espically Santiago which has some nice trails. Oh yeah theres Big Bear too which Ill be going to a lot this Summer!!! :D There are plenty of places to ride and many are not that far of a drive.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I'm from the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles County, Southern California.
Born in Glendale, and grew up in the SFV.

Got Married and moved to Simi Valley, that's just "over the hill", North/West of SFV. It's also when I started Mounatin Biking... Some time ago...

Simi's yet another SoCal suburb of LA, like most all the others scattered out here. Maybe it's got some visibility to the outside world 'cause it's where the Regan Library is, maybe because it's been rated one of the top most safest city's in the county for many years now (we lost the #1 status this year to next-door city Thousand Oaks). Use to be people around the globe knew Simi Valley because of the Rodney King trial (remember that?)
Anyway, it's a great area because of the less car congestion (out of all the other LA suburb's in this area), and there's a bit less crowded singletrack just outside one's door...
And since I also work out here, I can commute by bike.....

Why does it suck?
Not much night life, matter of fact - nill/none/nada...
Well, there's always the corner Starbucks.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I'm from Pasadena CA. THe riding here is pretty good though the dirt sucks...too dry and gravely. The town is pretty cool though there doesn't seem to be an energy about it like other places I've lived.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I reside just north of Boston in Melrose. I like it well enough. Its close to the city but not too close. Easy commute for work. Close to some great riding in Lynn Woods, Gloucester etc. Close to my family but not too close. Close to my friends. Great riding community around the Boston area, reasonable driving distance to some good DH venues...although even closer would be nice. :cool:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Hey there!! I'm from the lovely town of Glens Falls, N.Y.. Among notable the facts of my fair city are these:

Glens Falls is known as "Hometown U.S.A."
Glens Falls is the hometown of former W.W.F. wrestler "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

We are just on the southern border (10 miles south of Lake George) of the Adirondack Park and all the riding it has to offer. The beauty of the Adirondacks rivals that of anywere and that is why I make this place my home.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I currently call Seattle home. I like it mostly because there aren't many places that you can have the choice of skiing, kayaking, or biking on the same day... :thumb:

There's also a pretty large :monkey: population as you can see by the posts in the PNW forum!

Overall, a great place to call home.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm a masshole(go sox). It even says so on my bike.

I grew up in western mass, moved to boston for work when I was 21 or so and spent a couple of years there.

I've been living at Lake Tahoe for the past 8 months and it's freaking great. If I could afford a house here and be confident about keeping a well paying job I don't think I would ever move. Although that's not my style, to stick in one place, so for now I'm trying to get as much as possible out of the area while I am here.

I have only been biking for about a year but the trails here are some of the best I have been on. There is every type of riding. Sure it gets a little dusty, but that's the price you pay for only having 50 non-sunny days a year (most of which are in the winter when it's snowing). I try to ride 3-4 times a week and I like to try a new trail every time I ride and I have probably only seen about 5% of what's here. And then there's N* on the weekends, which always kicks my a$$.

People here are cool. You meet people from everywhere, and alot from the east coast, they call it the east-infection. Pretty much everyone you meet is psyched about life and psyched to get to live in such a beautiful area.

Winter is good too, as long as you like snow( :love: )

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
...blah blah blah....i live in beautiful NOR*CAL. East bay. Co Co County. Its supposed to be one of the nicest places to live in the entire US. My house is about 15 min from a group of estates where each house is no less than 5.5 million dollars. And to make things even better...rite in the middle of town there is a 3800 foot mountain poping up. The catch...it is home to some of the most up tight law and forestry enforcement in the country. every set of dirtjumps to every trail we have had has been plowed and patrolled to the point where there is absolutley no where to ride anymore. I have to drive an hour to ride ANYTHING. that huge mountain which would be perfect for shuttle runs has 2 single tracks which are "bike legal" niether are longer than a quarter mile leaving you with 5 miles of boring fire road. This completely eliminates the possibility of startin up other DH and free riders in the area because none of them want to travel so much just to ride. Im not even getting into the lack of other activities or partying for a town with one of the biggest JCs in california. To sum up the town in a single word...."WHACK!!"

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Well as most people know, I'm in Seattle for the next couple of weeks. I've been here for six and a half years. But on....likley the 25th of this month, I'll be heading home to Montreal. Seattle is cool, because you can do day trips to whistler. Bromont, though closer to where I'll be living....well frankly isn't quite the same.

But hey... I'll live.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I'm an British-expat living it up in Vancouver, Canada. Although I can never say never I have no desire to head back to the UK any time soon, the riding here is way too good. Vancouver is an amazing place to live, the riding here is so well catalogued and come winter the rain sucks, but at least there's snow on the mountain to go play in. The sea is on your door step, amazing scenery, wildlife, people, it's just a good place to be. Oh and if you're looking to meet cute girls, you can NOT beat Kitslano beach in the summer. The down side of living here? There are way too many rippers that make me look inadequate on a bike!!!

Jon.

I'm an Illinois-import currently living behind the Zion Curtain in Salt Lake City, UT. The beer here might be watered down, but the riding certainly isn't!

The Salt Lake valley has some killer trail riding within minutes of downtown, you're a half-hour drive from DH and XC riding in Park City (assuming no I-80 construction), and about 3.5 hours from the Redbull course in Virgin. Need I say more? :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Currently kickin' it cowboy-style in Denver, Colorado ya'll. LOVIN' this town so far: 50 miles of singletrack right out my door, never more than 2 miles from drinking beer brewed on-site, and thousands (or millions?) of the most beautiful country around within a days' drive.

The only thing I'm having a little trouble with is the amount of single, smart, cylist-adoring gals. Or maybe it's not the amount of them here, just that I scared 'em all off already? I'll look into that...

:D

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
I live in Greenville, SC. The dirty south is grand. I like to build dirt jumps on illigal land. Don't sue me. Ill mitch is super cool. He raps like no ones fool. Come ride in my town. I will show you all around. The riding is great.

On monday we poach the golf course, tuesday we build legal stuff at a local state park with some cool dudes, wed. we dirt jump, thursday we dirt jump and ride our trails we build, friday we dirt jump and have a good time. The weekends are good too. We drive to Pisgah and ride, and then ride Dupont a good bit too. I work at a local bike shop.

What was this for?

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
I am from and live in Mountain View, California. The name says it all, we have an amazing view of the mountains, which means we also get to use those mountains plenty. Good riding, lots of roadie biking if your into that, Calabazas isnt too far, LOTS OF HOTTIES, good schools, nice climate, sick place to live and grow up (thanks Mom and Dad) oh, and Hillary Duff is going to high school here next year, so that makes my town 100 times better! :eviltongu

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
i live in paradise. California that is. i love it here because i live next the the most bike friendly town in america, without the hippies :D i love it here because of bidwell park, the 2nd largest city municiple park. i live in the mountains so we can go camping in by the river. its nice and peaceful here.

Plus we have lots of steepass hills here so i need some good stoppers so i dont die. :help:

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Saugus, California is where I spent most of my youth. This would be right next to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Everything was alright until the place started to get over-developed. The vast open lands are now covered with wall-to-wall track housing or shopping centers. Good thing I moved to San Diego, only to get raped by outrageous housing/gas expenses.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
well...
i am from harwich MA. its pretty much a stuck-up rich town where everyone except me is in bed by 9 and too many old people. the towns nearby rock (read:chatham). so i chill there a bunch. good riding there, and in falmouth. only OK riding in my town is XC :o:

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Im from Alpharetta, Georgia. Lets see, there arnt really any "mountains" around me besides Sky...but its more of a hill. However, i love where i live. I am within 15 minuetes driving distance of tons of entertainment options (mall, andrettis, movies, paintball,....the list goes on). Besides, i have a couple of friends in my neighborhood i ride with, and as long as you ride with someone who shares the same passion and vision as you...you will always have a good time. In our case, we usually have to hunt for things to do when it comes to riding(we are of the DH scene). But, no matter how big or small the stunt/drop/jump or whatever it is we are doing...we are always in friendly comptetion to be better then the other, wich in turn...we are always improving our skills.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm in Chapel Hill, NC. It's a college town with a pretty decent riding scene. We have an in-town trail system with a little something for everyone-twisty singletrack, dirt jumps, wooden stunts, and lots of logs. In the Triangle-Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill-the scene expands and there are riders from all disciplines. All in all, good folks and good riding-I just wish the mountains were a little closer. :thumb:

11:11

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
I'm from Melbourne - Australia..
I love living in this city mainly because of the friendly ppl and of course the "free" public transport (trams/trains) lol..
The weather over here is kinda sucks tough.. (changing every 20min).

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i live in san francisco, california. i like it becasue i can ride in Golden Gate Park or the presidio when ever i want, un like some cities where i hear you have to travel hours away to ride trails. i also like it because i can ride street anytime i want also.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
i'm from amherst, massachusetts. it's in western mass, like 100 miles from boston. i grew up in the town, now i go to school there. i like it because it's not overly populated and there's a lot of woods and free space to roam. unfortunetly, there isn't much of a riding scene there. but hey, more trails for me then.
i'm in santa cruz, ca for the summer, and this place seems like a riders paradise. great trails and tons of riders. plus it's it's even more hippie than western ma!

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I am one of the few ND monkies that we have on the board. I live in Mandan to be specific. We only have 17,000 or so people but have the capital city of Bismarck across the river with 60,000ish, so it's not tiny. I don't mind our town, it is not a bad place to grow up. I would love it if we had some mountains to go biking though (we have plenty of hills).

Gee Spot

Chimp
Sep 13, 2002
rochester, ny
Echo said:
I live in the anti-mountain biking capital of the world, Rochester NY. You would think that in the anti-mountain biking capital of the world, mountian bikers would unite for their common benefit. Yeah, right. First chance I get I'm moving to Bend.

I live about a half mile from Echo so I'm with him on this one..... other then moving to Bend. I have a big family it would be hard to move away from and I really like my Job. If I could hook up with another police department in a warmer time zone..... I might think about it.... other than all that east cost riding is amazing! :thumb:

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ok here it goes!

I live in South Burlington, Vermont, It doesnt have the greatest riding but If you're open to anything its not bad. Its nice being close to Mt. Snow and Bromont though. With that said, I am going on a ride!

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Im from a backwoods town in NE CT where the only thing going on there was the stupid races at the local half mile race track on friday nights. Its a nice place if you like the whole Bud-drinking, Shotgun weilding redneck persona. So, I went to college in Boston and never looked back. Spent 4 years living on Huntington Av falling asleep to the din of the stupid green line running outisde of my window and next to the 5th busiest fire house in the country. Now Im up in Melrose which is a cool town to rent in, but Ill be damn if Im going to buy a craphone trailer or other run down house here (or anywere in this state) for $300,000. Traffic sucks, people are dicks and the weather is getting to me. Not so much the summers, I can almost deal with 90* and 90% humidity, its the winters, especially after the last few. With last year's storm with 30" along with most of January not above zero, to go with the past two or three winters, its time for me to get my azz out of Dodge. If I hear anyone come up to me and preach their global warming stance, Im going to punch them in the throat. Now I just need to find a new job :/

Lennox

Monkey
Mar 27, 2003
Toronto, Ont. Canada
My name is Phil and i live in Toronto Ontario Canada... The TDot is ok for biking, we have the valley system that offers some nice trails in the heart of the city. Blue Mountain is not far off for some nice downhill action. To the East we have Bromont and Mt St Anne and to the West, Whistler (lil far). Toronto is actually pretty good for some urban riding... lots of fun can be had in and around the downtown core.... The SkyDome can be fun.

Thats all i got.... man... wish i were on the west coast :cool:

splat

Nam I am
I am in Holliston , Ma, Just west of Boston. I have the Vietnam as a Place to ride , right in my Backyard ( literally) Plus lots of the other places not to far away. . I get to ride with lots of Monkeys ( IAB, MMcg, IF_rider, SloMoJo, Justbill, , etc , etc) , and I love the seasons of New england , and I get to ride all year. regardless of the conditions we get to ride. Boston is a great city to be close to, Mountains up in New Hampshire and Vermont close by, the Ocean and the Beach are close by.

I have lived all over the country , and so Far New England has the most to offer to me.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
I'm a Jackalope from Rochester, NY. If the WNY economy was better, it'd be a fantastic place to live. As far as biking, we usually have to make road trips to get to any decent hassle-free riding since mtbing is illegal in all of our county parks. The freeriding scene has turned from very good to dismal, but things will get better. Since I'm in the process of buying a house here, I'll probably stick it out in Roch for a while.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Im from Skoghall, Sweden, and we have great nature for trail/xc riding, long and varied trails and they are great fun! And since we are surrounded by water, Skoghall being on a huge island, we have great scenery by the sea to stop by, chat about bikes and have a snack, while on our xc tours :)

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
No Montrealers here?
I've lived in Montreal all my life. And i've liked it the whole time, which must be saying something. The only issues I have with it are that it's still a city so you get all the cars, and dust and filth. -which is why I normally go to my cottage for the summer. It has some meandering atv trails to explore that go on and on forever it seems- and they put way too much salt on the roads in the winter, so even on those nice days of the winter you still have to deal with brown salty dirty slush once you get back home.

As far as riding in Montreal? Well you all know it's less than an hour from Bromont, and 4 hours or less from Mt. St. Anne; however you may not know: the street riding is off the wall, it has a legendary road racing course, bikepaths where you least expect them (and some are even really nice) and has some of the most colourful riders anywhere. Not to mention being the home of the great but now sadly taken-over Balfa, and the much lauded and still independant GURU. The island of Montreal is, if i recall, 23 miles long, and 8 wide. In that space, and just outside of it one can find absolutely anything.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
I'm from Seattle, which is a great place to live. I like it because there is a good bit of riding close by and Whistler is only a couple hours away. The bike shops are cool and the people have great energy! The coffee's pretty good too. My wife is from here too! :p

D

Dingus McGee

I live in Fear, along Denial. I fear that the cost of living in S.F. is going to kick my little family's butt (insert cute kid pictures here for sympathy) - we are struggling super hard to keep them housed,clothed, fed and in various daycare, preschool and summer activities. I am riding totally bald Maxxis Mobster ST tires I bought new in the parking lot of Northstar on the last day of riding last year for $10 each. I was best man at my pals wedding and organized a MTB ride there for his bachelor party (oh the carnage :sneaky: ). Otherwise I would not have ridden recreationally last year besides bike commuting and my once a year race, the Sea Otter. (can't afford a car in this hellhole, hence the bald tires from fulltime street riding) I run a Hope DH04 front and an Enduro rear...they are old and sad. I sometimes hold out hope that I will be able to afford a set of Mono4's, but I realize that I am just in Denial. :dead: Where is that violin smiley, anyway......

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
I am from Asheville, NC. Let me see, other than having over 1100 miles of singletrack within a 45 minute radius of town; other than having the Ocoee, Nantahala, Pigeon, Green, Tuckaseegee, Nolichucky, Chattooga rivers to paddle all within an hour or so; other than the coast being 3 1/2 hours away; other than Asheville being a funky, hip, culturally diverse and liberal town; other than never getting above 88 degrees in the summer (a southern summer at that) I am not sure why I like my town so much. Being a rep whose territory extends from DC to Miami and the Mississppi river to the coast, I would still say this is the best town in that neck of the woods.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
The DC area is pretty good for riding, there are trails, dirt jumps, street spots, and lots of good people to ride with. One nice thing is that the VA regional forum is active, and there are almost always people to ride with.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I live on Vashon Island in Washington. It is a great place to mountain bike. Some good free-ride opportunites as well as XC terrain. The only down side is that the ferry ride adds one hour to the drive to Whistler.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i live in a small town in called enkenbach, it s in germany... it s got everything i need:

- a pizza joint
- a drinking establishment 30 yards from my front door
- some surrounding forests for decent trail riding
and, best of all...
- the A6 autobahn up the road connects me to the sickest DH shiat in europe !!!!!!!!!!

now i just need brakes to stop :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.