Quantcast

Hope This!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think that's really dumb. Linked brakes might be appropriate on a cruiser motorcycle, but not on an offroad performance machine. You need full control of both brakes IMHO; balancing their use is the rider's job, not a proportioning valve's.

MD

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Good god! That thing is nuts. Maybe not good, but certainly nuts. Kind of like an ABS? The system sounds like it mught have some merit, but I would think that on a DH bike, you would want the mirror image of that thing. Like the rear lever only affecting the rear brake, and the front lever also acting on the rear caliper. I can't think of any times on a DH bike where you want only front brake. Weel, accept for doing stoppies.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
still inovative, the second link is more traditional, just a big ass over sized brake, i have the system 12, i like them allot.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
6 piston calipers for a bicycle are overkill. It's that simple. This is a perfect example of our more-is-better mentality.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
uh, if i recall the hope has 6 pistons.... that caliper seems to be pretty popular. i would like one, there are allot of times when the brake just wont grab enough due to heat and lack of pad surface area.

robz

Chimp
May 18, 2004
Scotland
The Hope 6 pot seems to be the brake of choice at the moment on all the Downhill bikes going out of the shop i work at.

They've got so much modulation and are only as big as the old M4 - but i've only got mono 4's :mumble:

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by mack
uh, if i recall the hope has 6 pistons.... that caliper seems to be pretty popular. i would like one, there are allot of times when the brake just wont grab enough due to heat and lack of pad surface area.
So what does that mean? 24" rims were popular too. Double wides were popular too. Those rediculous Azonic saddles were popular as well. To me, popularity amongst the MX wanna-bes means nothing (no offense to Brian and VV for running 6 piston calipers:) ). Pad size and piston count aren't necessarily directly proportionate.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
yes, but in this case, this brake has allot of pad, and a big rotar, wich means less temperature wich means less fade thus better braking. and grimeca brakes have a TON of modulation, i would definetly compare them to hopes.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
So after you've ridden them on DH runs is that what you determined?
No. Almost the exact opposite actually. After having ridden ridden 2 piston and 4 pistons on DH runs and never having thought "Gee I could use a couple more pistons per caliper" I determined that more pistons would be overkill.

I don't need to have 30 beers in a sitting to know that it's overkill based on what 20 does for me do I?

This arguement is invalid of course if the brakes s*ck to begin with, but properly executed, two pistons is sufficient.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
It's not bicycles, but it proves what a well designed brake is capable of...

This car as tested by topgear magazine is the second fastest car that they've tested around their road course test track. It's brakes have 4 pistons. Not on each caliper, four in total. One per corner.

There is a thread about percieved needs on page 2 or 3 that I think relates the multiple piston brake phenominon quite nicely. Just my opinion though. ;)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just don't like the big and nasty fuild reservoir sticking up out of the lever. Call me silly, but I like the way my Hayes is blended seemlessly into the lever. Not some HUGE juge with a lid slapped on top like some half baked afterthought.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Originally posted by jimmydean
I just don't like the big and nasty fuild reservoir sticking up out of the lever. Call me silly, but I like the way my Hayes is blended seemlessly into the lever. Not some HUGE juge with a lid slapped on top like some half baked afterthought.
but the reservoir is more mx:D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Incubus
No. Almost the exact opposite actually. After having ridden ridden 2 piston and 4 pistons on DH runs and never having thought "Gee I could use a couple more pistons per caliper" I determined that more pistons would be overkill.

I don't need to have 30 beers in a sitting to know that it's overkill based on what 20 does for me do I?

This arguement is invalid of course if the brakes s*ck to begin with, but properly executed, two pistons is sufficient.
The pistons are MUCH smaller than the ones found on the M4's and Mini's. I would agree with you if they had large oversized pistons, but thats not the case. I think you should ride them then tell me what you think.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
The pistons are MUCH smaller than the ones found on the M4's and Mini's. I would agree with you if they had large oversized pistons, but thats not the case. I think you should ride them then tell me what you think.
I'll PM you my shipping address. Do you have another set of brakes to use while I'm testing yours or should I send you a pair of Avid mechs... :D ;)