Quantcast

Hopefully this isn't that stupid of a question

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Basically, I have a FS, and a HT, and my neighbor keeps telling me to change my HT into a Single Speed. Why? What benefit would I gave from stripping it down to a SS? Is it a training thing? Couldn't I just leave it in the gear and call it done. Anyway, If some one could school me on the world of SS's I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
It's fun. Some like it, some don't. The only way you'll know is to try it. Put your HT in something close to 32x16 and don't touch it for an entire ride. Of course you won't get the full experience since removing the unused stuff to make it an SS lightens the bike, but you'll get a pretty good idea whether you like it or not.

Benefits? Ummm, I suppose it makes your calves real big. ;) I've found that I pick cleaner lines than I used to. I guess that could be a good thing if you're a racer-type.

Does your friend ride SS? If not tell him to step up or shut up. :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BikeGeek said:
It's fun. Some like it, some don't. The only way you'll know is to try it. Put your HT in something close to 32x16 and don't touch it for an entire ride. Of course you won't get the full experience since removing the unused stuff to make it an SS lightens the bike, but you'll get a pretty good idea whether you like it or not.

Benefits? Ummm, I suppose it makes your calves real big. ;) I've found that I pick cleaner lines than I used to. I guess that could be a good thing if you're a racer-type.

Does your friend ride SS? If not tell him to step up or shut up. :D
Good advice! I also think that riding a SS helps you to get out of your saddle more and to learn to flow with the trail...carry more speed. I am considering building my old hardtail up into a SS for training to improve my riding abilities for these reasons (as well as choosing cleaner lines and getting more in shape).

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Hmm. Okay, I'll give it a shot. I guess it can't hurt anything. I was more inclined to gear it towards the road instead, but I'm up for the suggestion.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It's one of those things you've got to try to understand. See if you can find someone with a SS who will let you take it for a spin. I've tried one out, and I definitely liked it, but it's not an option for me at this point (I'm too out of shape and there's too much climbing around me). The simplicity is nice, the reliability is nice, the quite is nice. If you SS a HT or a rigid, it'll make you a better rider - SS forces you to ride "smarter" rather than just relying on your suspension. Picking and holding lines becomes more important as does bike handling and keeping your momentum.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Just picking a gear and trying to not shift for a ride will not give you a SS experience IMO.

For one thing, unless the gear you pick happens to be a good straight chainline, you will most likely break your chain or have some other drivetrain failure if you really try to hammer like you would on a SS.

Also, part of the beauty of a singlespeed is the light weight, quiet, and simplicity. You can't get that by just not shifting.

Also, I've noticed that people who go along with me when I'm on my SS will say something like, "OK, I won't shift so we'll both be riding SS". But generally within 3 minutes they get frustrated and shift :D

Don't even bother trying to ride normal MTB singlespeed gearing on the road. It SUCKS. You feel like you could get off and walk the bike faster.

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
singlespeed rocks! when you don't have to think about what gear you are in, what your chainline is like, or be mocked by chain slap, or halted by chain suck, you can spend so much more mental and physical energy riding, and having fun.

if you want megasimple drop the shifters, the cassette and extra chainrings, the brakes and grab one of these:
http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_web/eric.html
slap a track cog on and discover how hard the easiest of rides can become.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I thought chain suck was caused by chain wear/ring wear? Or in really bad conditions, by mud. How does SSing a bike eliminate chain suck?

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
sorry, guess i should have been a bit more clear, i'm not a big fan of chain tensioners like the surly singulator, and such. i have horizontal dropouts or eccentrics on my bikes to create a taught chain... chain looks like one on a track bike, hense no slap, no suck. and with a perfect chainline and a well oiled and cleaned chain, wear on the drivetrain takes considerably longer.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
fatpandas said:
sorry, guess i should have been a bit more clear, i'm not a big fan of chain tensioners like the surly singulator, and such. i have horizontal dropouts or eccentrics on my bikes to create a taught chain... chain looks like one on a track bike, hense no slap, no suck. and with a perfect chainline and a well oiled and cleaned chain, wear on the drivetrain takes considerably longer.
oh DUUH... I'm an idiot. Of course SSing a bike will eliminate chain suck. Sorry... brain cramp I guess.

Scooby5

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
California
I love my SS. I would defintly agree that it makes you a better rider, since you are forced to ride "smarter". Makes every ride challanging. I can't really describe it any more than that, you just have to experience it. :thumb: