Quantcast

// Hot enough gmt? \\

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Putting together a spreadsheet with all the bikes I'm looking at so that I can see spec, sizing, etc side by side. I have the Yeti SB130 and SB150 on as fliers, just to see them comparatively. They are fucking $2k more for an equal GX spec'd bike (albeit better shock). Damn you Yeti! Damn you for making awesome bikes.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Putting together a spreadsheet with all the bikes I'm looking at so that I can see spec, sizing, etc side by side. I have the Yeti SB130 and SB150 on as fliers, just to see them comparatively. They are fucking $2k more for an equal GX spec'd bike (albeit better shock). Damn you Yeti! Damn you for making awesome bikes.
you looking at any transitions?

Get on a bike. Ride it. If you like it, buy it. There is no best MTB.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Get on a bike. Ride it. If you like it, buy it. There is no best MTB.
Do you know how you can like dark chocolate over milk chocolate? And really high cacao over lower cacao levels? It can be the same with bikes.

I like a long, slack bike. One with suspension that is poppy when loaded, but does not just track over everything (ie plow). I've never liked how single pivots stiffen under braking, I like something that squats. While pedalling, something that naturally locks out or stiffens is a preference, but shocks can correct most of that. With the amount of climbing in my area, I need something with a steep seat angle to assist with climbing - I didn't realize how important that was until my current setup. Oh, and I want a 29'er.

When I put all of those things together, there is a very short list of bikes available. It's no shocker that the Yeti checks the boxes of my riding style, because it's how they design their bikes and I have ridden Yeti's almost exclusively for 20 years, so my riding style has grown around it. There are other companies that I've ridden which ride similarly, but are just as boutique and cost nearly the same.

In summary, I think I'm far more particular about how my bike feels that you are.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you know how you can like dark chocolate over milk chocolate? And really high cacao over lower cacao levels? It can be the same with bikes.

I like a long, slack bike. One with suspension that is poppy when loaded, but does not just track over everything (ie plow). I've never liked how single pivots stiffen under braking, I like something that squats. While pedalling, something that naturally locks out or stiffens is a preference, but shocks can correct most of that. With the amount of climbing in my area, I need something with a steep seat angle to assist with climbing - I didn't realize how important that was until my current setup. Oh, and I want a 29'er.

When I put all of those things together, there is a very short list of bikes available. It's no shocker that the Yeti checks the boxes of my riding style, because it's how they design their bikes and I have ridden Yeti's almost exclusively for 20 years, so my riding style has grown around it. There are other companies that I've ridden which ride similarly, but are just as boutique and cost nearly the same.

In summary, I think I'm far more particular about how my bike feels that you are.
Fun fact: when jbp got his first bike, there were only 2 options for bikes: stone or wood