Quantcast

Hot Metal

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
So many tubes!

Edit;

oh I know what that is. Probably the coolest 29er i've seen. And a real feat of joinery. Tease the heck out of people with the pictures.

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Interesting frame, seeing the side shot is interesting. :happydance:

Funny when you see the name it looked like it was a blacked out gear box.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Chris make that? It was what I immediately thought of but I the gusset looked different.

I feel dumb I don't know

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
RD3 - when are we gonna get the full Monty on that creation?? It is winter and we need threads like this to keep us sane! Hit us with the full goods please.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I LOVE those drops!
(That's some SERIOUS tension hardware on there...) Will you option some smaller diameter, allen head stuff for full production?

Like Mark said.....quit teasin'.... at least show us the chainstay, BB junction so that we can see the tire clearance!

(Per,...I KNOW you won't post the whole thing... Just yet, anyway...)

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I LOVE those drops!
(That's some SERIOUS tension hardware on there...) Will you option some smaller diameter, allen head stuff for full production?

Like Mark said.....quit teasin'.... at least show us the chainstay, BB junction so that we can see the tire clearance!

(Per,...I KNOW you won't post the whole thing... Just yet, anyway...)
I have some aluminum allen head bolts for it on order, to keep things light.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Steel, lots of standover, and a smooth feeling ride...

The frame incorporates some downhill design influence to give it its low slung look and standover height which was important because I am 5'8" with a longer torso and shorter legs. On most 29er frames I don't have any standover, but I've got some to spare now.

I always loved the ride and look of steel frames so there was no question when it came to material. Its made out of high quality straight gauge 4130 tubing. Made just like a Hood Mussel it uses space frame pin-tube construction. This is the same method used to make old aircraft and race car frames like the Maserati Birdcage, keeping them light and strong. Straight gauge is really the only choice for material with a design like this.

It has a very smooth and forgiving ride like you would expect from steel plus a little extra magic.

This "feat of joinery" was built by none other than Frank the Welder.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Specs:
•Hot Metal 4130 29R SS frame by FTW, raw, 5.7 lbs
•RockShox Reba 100mm
•Chris King ti headset
•Salsa Moto Ace 11° bars
•Thomson 70mm stem
•DMN cork grips
•Hope Mini brakes w/ power clamps, 165 R & 185 F rotor, Dangerboy levers & KoolStop pads
•Profile Racing cranks 170mm w/ titanium 5 3/4" spindle and bolts
•Eastern Medusa Light 25t chainwheel
•Profile Racing 15t steel cog
•KMC K710SL TiN hollow pin hollow link chain
•Selle San Marco Ponza saddle
•Thomson seatpost w/ Hope clamp
•Wellgo MG-1 pedals w/ titanium spindles 310g
•Halo Freedom Disc 29" 32H rims laced to Profile Racing hubs, studded bolt-on rear with Profile spline, alloy nuts, qr front w/ hope skewer, with Union titanium spokes and alloy nipples
•Continental Mountain King 2.4 tires
•Continental 26 lite tubes
•••Total weight = 25 lbs

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Pretty wild! What's the Effective Top Tube length?

It is probably a visual thing but it looks really long!

HT, ST angles are?

Bottom bracket height is???

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Hot Metal = Hot Sex!
Bitchin build for sure.
I definatly have a thing for burly straight gauge steel.

OFFTOPIC: Are hoods still being built? havent heard anything about hood in a long time.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The geometry is similar to a medium Simon Bar. The effective top tube is a little longer to make use of a shorter stem up front.

The photos were taken before the snow got here. But there is no snow now either it was in the 50Fs over the weekend.

The 25 - 15 gear ratio is almost the same as a conventional 32 - 19 gearing. Most trails have some pretty good climbing and I like to stay on the bike.