Quantcast

Hot weather elbow pads?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm done with putting up with trail rash on my arms at least a couple times a year. Any recommendations for non-bulky and highly breathable elbow/forearm guards for trail use? I tried the Dakine Slayers but they're too bulky/hot. I don't need much padding, this is more for skin retention.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Try the IXS Flow.
Those things are stupidly comfortable, fit like a glove and seem to protect really well.
I switched to them for DH-use at the end of last season and i´m wearing them for everything else now too.
Also they are rather cheap and so far seem to be great quality.
Can´t say too much about breathability though. They feel fine in hot weather, although i´d say there´s always some discomfort involved in wearing protection under such conditions. But the IXS are just the foam caps against the elbow and mesh on top (plus the velcro strap). I´m happy with them so far, but of course that´s highly subjective.
I would however never buy one of the ultralight offerings without any velcro strap because i´ve come to the conclusion that a migrating protector during a crash will give you burns on your skin from the synthetic rubbing against your skin, that are just as bad as trail rash.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I got some g-forms and like them. They'll take the edge off the initial impact, but will move out of the way if you're really eating teh shits.

More tolerable in hot weather than my POC, for sure.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Mueller 410 is what I used in college. I was fortunate enough to play football on Astro turf... said no one!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Try the IXS Flow.
Those things are stupidly comfortable, fit like a glove and seem to protect really well.
I switched to them for DH-use at the end of last season and i´m wearing them for everything else now too.
Also they are rather cheap and so far seem to be great quality.
Can´t say too much about breathability though. They feel fine in hot weather, although i´d say there´s always some discomfort involved in wearing protection under such conditions. But the IXS are just the foam caps against the elbow and mesh on top (plus the velcro strap). I´m happy with them so far, but of course that´s highly subjective.
I would however never buy one of the ultralight offerings without any velcro strap because i´ve come to the conclusion that a migrating protector during a crash will give you burns on your skin from the synthetic rubbing against your skin, that are just as bad as trail rash.
How thick is the fabric compared to the IXS Carves? I use Carves for DH and rocky terrain, but they're a bit much for a lot of trail rides.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Those things actually look pretty cool. If only they were a little longer.
They stay put but no forearm protection.

The thin under armor type sleeves would burn you too on turf and they would never hold up to mtb crashes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it became decidedly non-bro to wear elbow pads out here on the east coast some time ago. I still have and ride my fox pads, which I can no longer find any trace of online. Suckers are great, but they never fit well and don't stick until after you get some sweat under them. Might be time to replace. I'll keep my eye on this thread.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
@djjohnr : how big are your arms? I have a pair of the TLD slip on arm pads which I never liked.
Medium/Large

I returned the Dakines and ordered a bunch to try last night - Alpinestar Volcanos, Gforms, Scott Soldier IIs and TLD Speed Sleeves. I also tried the Fox Launch but they were too bulky for trail riding.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
How thick is the fabric compared to the IXS Carves? I use Carves for DH and rocky terrain, but they're a bit much for a lot of trail rides.
Never had the Carves in hand, but judging by pictures it´s probably the same mesh. However, the carves do not have the thick foam covering on the sides so i think that should make a noticeable difference. There is a noticeable airflow through the mesh while riding.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Ordered a bunch, here's what I found -

• Dakine Slayer - well made, thick material, looks like it can take a beating. D30 pad is pretty wide, thick and stiff, feels like having a frisbee strapped to your arm. Warm.
  • Alpinestar Volcano - good breathability, protection runs a good distance up and down the arm and seems like it would provide decent impact protection. Unfortunately there are no rubberized grip bands so they slide way to easily. Would be a winner otherwise.
  • Scott Soldier 2 - undersized, couldn't get it all the way onto my arm. Similar build to the Dakine Slayer but with a more form fitting cut to the D30 pad.
  • Troy Lee Speed Sleeve - protection runs down the forearm which is good, although it's not very thick so really just for skin retention. Bicep section is pretty loose compared to the forearm, and the whole thing is pretty long. Material has good breathability.
  • Gform - good breathability, shorter then the Troy Lees so a bit cooler. Protection area doesn't run as far down the forearm as the TLDs. Like the TLDs padding is really only for skin retention.

I'm keeping the Gforms based on fit and breathability (gets in the 100s here during the summer).