Quantcast

How Big is your URBAN?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Just curious as to how big the Urban rides get in your parts? I guess what we lack for in Mountains we make up for in other ways. This picture doesn't even get in everyone. I would say on any given Wednesday in Downtown Ft Lauderdale to the beach there is anywhere from 20-40 mountain bikers hitting the streets. There are 2 main groups. The bigger group consists of the Big Bike, Trials and more social crowd that meet a little earlier, do more sessioning and cover less ground. They meet at
www.Tredhead.com 's corporate office.
Then there is the XC'sh group that goes further and faster, some how we always meet up.

Thanks to www.Freeridesouth.com for hosting all our pictures and BS :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
there are two of us all the time. sometimes three and someimtes (on a rare occasion) four. sometimes i see a group of bmxer's out, but i never ever ever see anyone else doing any urban. we have a lot of rodie groups in the city.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well, I'm a BMX'er, and in this town we ALL ride a lot of street. Indy's weird about that stuff, though. You really have to search your spots out. The flatness of the terrain leads to dull architechture, which in turn leads to less to ride.

As far as urban MTB'ers go, I know of at least six or seven who also hit up the local parks and DJ's as well. That stuff's pretty cool.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
When we do Lincolnton, NC rides.....usually 3 or 4 people....

Charlotte urbans can bring upwards of twenty though!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I haven't been on a good one since I moved closer to downtown. But we used to go with guys and customers from 2 shops. Wednesday night rides used to go from aroun 6 to as many as 15 or so. 6 is good because it's enough people to try stupid stuff without gaining too much attention. If you have too big of a group, it takes to long for everyone to hit something and you end up waiting too long for people sometimes.

But it sure is fun!

Oh yeah, the group would be mostly mtb's, but there were 2 or 3 trials guys and a couple bmx's that would float in and out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by jimmydean
I haven't been on a good one since I moved closer to downtown. But we used to go with guys and customers from 2 shops. Wednesday night rides used to go from aroun 6 to as many as 15 or so. 6 is good because it's enough people to try stupid stuff without gaining too much attention. If you have too big of a group, it takes to long for everyone to hit something and you end up waiting too long for people sometimes.

But it sure is fun!

Oh yeah, the group would be mostly mtb's, but there were 2 or 3 trials guys and a couple bmx's that would float in and out.
post up when you're going to go in the portland thread! i'll slap the launches on my evil and head out with you, and i live in the pearl.

on the original topic, my boston crew was anywhere from 2 to 6 or so, and we'd occasionally meet other riders or groups while out on the prowl.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
you are less likely to get busted if you ride in smaller groups......

:rolleyes:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by pnj
you are less likely to get busted if you ride in smaller groups......

:rolleyes:
The larger of the 2 groups that make up the Urban ride got hassled by the cops one night. We looked into the laws, asked the cops and now everyone shows up with a white light in the front and a red blinky light in the rear. So long as you are following the rules, we rarely have any problems.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
The larger of the 2 groups that make up the Urban ride got hassled by the cops one night. We looked into the laws, asked the cops and now everyone shows up with a white light in the front and a red blinky light in the rear. So long as you are following the rules, we rarely have any problems.

what are you doing? just riding around in the street?

usually street or 'urban' has some element of vandalism, which of course, is illegal. if nothing else, your usually trespassing.

Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
but, running from the authorities will help you hone your urban skills....

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by pnj
what are you doing? just riding around in the street?

usually street or 'urban' has some element of vandalism, which of course, is illegal. if nothing else, your usually trespassing.
I guess that just depends on what you do and how you do it. The faster group (which I ride in) rarely stays around at one place, but we do hit a number of stair gaps, parking garages and other misc things.

The other group (that I ride with occassionally) does session stuff that is probably considered tresspassing if the Cops really wanted to bust their a$$. But they have found a certain level of respect/compromise that seems to work. Almost everyone has lights they respect the property they ride on and try not to stay in one place or another for too long of a period of time.

It works the way it is supposed to :D :cool:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
We don't...well not much. We have so much setup for us to ride the cops are really on us to not ride urban...we have a park setup, bowl, djs, north shore play areas, tonnes of trails and the mountains...urban is left for tourist walking only :)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
2-6
We've had up to 15 people but i usually go away when it gets that big cause we just get in trouble. Police leave us alone in small groups, once it's big they know something is going to happen and put a stop to it.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by Lexx D
2-6
We've had up to 15 people but i usually go away when it gets that big cause we just get in trouble. Police leave us alone in small groups, once it's big they know something is going to happen and put a stop to it.

yeah, cuz you're obviously a DH racer who cooks crack and hands out free samples to all the kids and bums on the streets :rolleyes: :D

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Cooter Brown
yeah, cuz you're obviously a DH racer who cooks crack and hands out free samples to all the kids and bums on the streets :rolleyes: :D
Well obviously:D

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I often ride with younger kids and tell the cops how i'm keeping them off drugs and out of trouble by riding bikes with them:D
theyt don't know what to say when it's part of big brothers club thing. :sneaky:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
kinda OT....we saw some guys riding mini-bikes the other night during our midnight urban session....& they said when they see cops they "air pedal" & the cops keep rollin' because they think they are on bicycles. It was funny & they say it works.

Originally posted by TN
kinda OT....we saw some guys riding mini-bikes the other night during our midnight urban session....& they said when they see cops they "air pedal" & the cops keep rollin' because they think they are on bicycles. It was funny & they say it works.
now, if they would "air-stay-the-hell-off-my-jumps" then i would be in business....

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Originally posted by shifty S
you are less likely to get busted if you ride anywhere other than baltimore.
you obviously dont know the meaning of the term "quick relocation"

ive never been arrested in b-more but i got a warning and got cuffed and everything in downtown catonsville.

Morgan