Quantcast

How can I figure out what components my bike takes?

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I just picked up a used vintage Windsor road bike that was converted to single speed.

Sadly since I am a pretty heavy rider and this is all older/used stuff, I have noticed a little bit of complaining from the cranks. I expected that.

I intend to keep riding it until there's actually an issue, but in the interim, how can I figure out what kind of BB/crankset I'll need? So I know what to look for if/when I need to replace it.

Also, while we're at it: Are there any good fixed gear/freewheel flip/flop wheelsets that people recommend? I'm looking for inexpensive but still decent quality. Also how can I figure out what kind of brakes my bike needs?

Thanks,
Mike

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
http://imgur.com/a/Z58Et

there you go.

I already talked to the guys at my LBS and they showed/told me what kind of brake(s) I would need, but to have a better idea on the BB size would be the primary thing I'm looking for.

I know it's a Windsor, and I know it's made in Mexico, but I have no idea what model or year. If anybody could figure that out, that would be rad.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
measure the width of the shell and check whether the D/S threads are L/H or R/H threaded. (2sec with a tape measure and simply loosening the BB lockring will tell you the answer to this)
WTF sort of LBS couldn't do this for you?

most common BB standard is BSA/English thread 68mm BB shell - measures 68mm across with D/S threads/cups L/H threaded
if the R/H shell is R/H threaded it's either Italian or french. french is 68mm. Italian is 70mm

You can fit pretty much any road/mtb or even BMX crank/BB you like to an English 68mm BB shell but ideally you want to find something with a suitably narrow chainline for the narrower dropout/hub spacing an old frame like this will have.

Charliedavid

Chimp
May 30, 2014
India
Your bike is awesome for mountaineering. I had planned a trip to Manali this ending December with some of my friends. Also thinking about buying this kind of bike for an Adventurous Travel.