Quantcast

How did it go Toninator?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Heidi
What's the scoop, how was the race?
Preride Saturday. Got to the site about 11 am registered and was about to commence my preride. some other people on my team showed up and so I waited for them. One of the women does not ride very much and has not been riding very long, no problem I really just wanted to scope out the course slow anyways. A quarter way though the ride the other woman had to take a different course so I was left to give pointers and keep up with the newbe. Blaa, blaa, blaa three hours later we finish the course. Newbe mistake #1 on my part: No suntan lotion. I wasn’t blistered but very burnt. Stopping and starting all that time and the sunburn wore me out so I did not do a second lap like I wanted too.
The course was very slick the morning of the race do to all the rain they got and a heavy morning dew. Newbe mistake #2: I was not fast enough off the start. I got caught behind a lot of the slower riders.
Something I was impressed about my self: I am WAY more aggressive on the down hills than anyone that was around me.
Had a very hard time getting in the pedals. Last thing that happened going up hill full force pushing down and the chain came off during a down shift and my foot popped out off the pedal several injuries from that, don’t want to name them all.

All in all, @#$% that was the hardest trail I have ever ridden and the whole thing was the consistency of soup. I really wanted a top 10 but didn’t even get close 21 out of 32. It was my first race, it was the hardest course on the fall series blaa, blaa, blaa. Anyone have the number to dr Ferrari in Italy?
Btw BikeMojo did really good even after a nasty little fall in the very begging of the course, I'm pretty sure he ended up 11th

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Congratulations on the race, sounds like you learned a lot in just one race! Agressiveness on downhills pays off a lot, it's a good place to catch up some time or increase your lead. You are right, lead position is important if you are generally faster then a lot of the other racers. I always like to start first because I don't like getting stuck behind people on singletrack or dowhnill.

Congratulation again!:) :)
________
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited:

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
What I love most about those beginner races is that they are short enought to push you to sprint. There's no time to sit in and rest. Its balls out or last place.

Here's a little secret for you. Of the races I've both ridden in and watched, the key is in consistency. Some guys catch up on the flats and in the open areas only to be dropped in the technical stuff. Others suffer miserable deaths on the flats only to catch up in the technical stuff. Want to put serious time on your comp and crush their spirit at the same time? Work both angles until you are consistent at both aspects. You'll come out better if you can hold a steady pace.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Congratulations on the race, sounds like you learned a lot in just one race! Agressiveness on downhills pays off a lot, it's a good place to catch up some time or increase your lead. You are right, lead position is important if you are generally faster then a lot of the other racers. I always like to start first because I don't like getting stuck behind people on singletrack or dowhnill.

Congratulation again!:) :)
Thanks Heidi. You have a 24 hour coming around dont you?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator

Thanks Heidi. You have a 24 hour coming around dont you?
Yah, September 22/23 - but I have team! I was happy because we all went out and pre-rode on Saturday (me and 4 guys) and I was able to hold my own. On top of that, I'm smokin my time lap times from last year!
________
Ipod games

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

Yah, September 22/23 - but I have team! I was happy because we all went out and pre-rode on Saturday (me and 4 guys) and I was able to hold my own. On top of that, I'm smokin my time lap times from last year!
SirKnight might be a little upset with me here because i am going to "borrow" his phrase but "Heidi you my hero!:D "

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator

SirKnight might be a little upset with me here because i am going to "borrow" his phrase but "Heidi you my hero!:D "

That's a bit much, I'm just a girl who likes to ride her bike with the guys.
________
Reliant

Last edited:

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
I'm going to try to make some of the races, but I can't race since my schedule is so choppy and last minute. I'll likely not know which days I can make until the night before the race.

Maybe I'll see you out there, though.

Good luck.