Quantcast

How do I tel when to buy new brake pads?

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
Hey guys, I've been working on my bike lately and I notice a few things about my brakes. I have hydraulic shimano brm525 disc brakes, front and rear.

What's bothering me is.. my brakes don't seem to disengage. I squeeze the handle hard, and the brakes work (with a loud loud loud loud loud squeal) but I have to physically push the lever back out to disengage the brake. It's not that bad, because they disengage about 90% when you let go of the lever, but if you don't push it out with your finger, you're riding around fighting 10% of your brakes. This tires me out and pisses me off.

I have tried... sanding/cleaning rotors, bleeding brake fluid, an assortment of cleaners and lubricants on the handle and around where the lever attaches to the bike. I inspected brake pads, and they look quite worn. They were completely glazed over with black gunk so I sanded them back until I saw shiny metal particles in the pad compound, but now they squeal loud enough I want to wear earplugs when I ride (which wouldn't be safe.)

My questions are.... would worn out pads be the source of this squealing? I think it just showed up because I sanded all the crap off the pads and rotors making my brakes weak and ineffective.

how do I know when I need new pads?

how do I fix the sticky brake levers? I can't seem to figure out how to get things apart, even with a schematic sheet from shimano showing all the parts blown up.

Corksil

Chimp
Apr 10, 2006
Maui, Hawaii
Thanks for the help with my bike. I appreciate having a resource like this to use for information instead of getting charged 60 bucks an hour to have some guy work on my bike.

I am a car mechanic, so I doubt any of these procedures are beyond my abilities. I will check out everything that was suggested, and I'll go even further and tear apart the entire braking system :D

Could anyone guide me towards a walk-through of the procedure? I have found a schematic of parts on the shimano website and a few guides how to bleed brakes, but it would be nice to find a guide with pictures on how to clean the pistons and get it all back together again.