Quantcast

How do I tell if my spyder is bent?

Yuppie

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Oliver, BC
I know the chainring is bent, but is it because of the spyder being bent or just the chainring?

also, anyone know of a way to get rid of the play in my pedals?

thanks.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
...depending on the cranks, it is possible that the spider could be wobbly. Usually it's happened to me on cranks that have bolt on spiders, like Caramba, Kooka, anything like that. Chromoly 3 piece cranks are less likely to suffer from that, since the spider/chainring is mounted in two places. Usually it's a problem that can't be easily solved. You could try spacers between the spider and crank.

As far as the play in the pedals, if they're the cheep, Wellgo type, take off the end plugs and tighten them up like hubs, sorta. There's a locknut and then a normal nut to tighten the bearings. On a cartridge-type pedal, it depends on the design.

Let me know if this helps!

Yuppie

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Oliver, BC
Originally posted by KonaDude
...depending on the cranks, it is possible that the spider could be wobbly. Usually it's happened to me on cranks that have bolt on spiders, like Caramba, Kooka, anything like that. Chromoly 3 piece cranks are less likely to suffer from that, since the spider/chainring is mounted in two places. Usually it's a problem that can't be easily solved. You could try spacers between the spider and crank.

As far as the play in the pedals, if they're the cheep, Wellgo type, take off the end plugs and tighten them up like hubs, sorta. There's a locknut and then a normal nut to tighten the bearings. On a cartridge-type pedal, it depends on the design.

Let me know if this helps!
thanks, they are truvative cranks... hell, is spider even the right word? the 'arms' is what Im talking about.....

oh, and for the pedals, Im pretty sure they are cartridge type, they feel like it... the high end HTIs.... damn nice pedals actually, lasted way longer than my axioms....

thanks for the help man....