Quantcast

how do you do the single speed trick?

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
:cool: i have read about this in alot of places, but since i havent really had any major problems ive never bothered to figure out how to do this. Ya know say your ten miles out on a trail and your derailer brakes:mad: or something so you do this to ride back to the car. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to do this when out on a trail and what tools you need to do it.
Thx in advance
also is it very hard to perform?
:help:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
if your doing it in an emergency situation as oppossed to "living the SS life" what you basically need is a multitool that has chain tool in it.
if the derailer is completly useless either take it off or bend out of the chainline, and choose an easy gear that can get you home, and shorten the chain to fit that combo, it won't be perfect(unless you get lucky and hit a magic combo, rare but possible).
what I've done is I don't shorten the chain immediatly, this way I can play around with a couple of combo's first to see which one offers the least amount of slack. once you settled on the combo. put chain together and run the chain direct from front to rear cog eliminating the derailer. remeber if the chain has to much sag it will fall off easy so ride conservativley to get back. also if possible carry extra ez links with this helps with adjusting chain size...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MunkeeHucker said:
if your doing it in an emergency situation as oppossed to "living the SS life" what you basically need is a multitool that has chain tool in it.
if the derailer is completly useless either take it off or bend out of the chainline, and choose an easy gear that can get you home, and shorten the chain to fit that combo, it won't be perfect(unless you get lucky and hit a magic combo, rare but possible).
what I've done is I don't shorten the chain immediatly, this way I can play around with a couple of combo's first to see which one offers the least amount of slack. once you settled on the combo. put chain together and run the chain direct from front to rear cog eliminating the derailer. remeber if the chain has to much sag it will fall off easy so ride conservativley to get back. also if possible carry extra ez links with this helps with adjusting chain size...
Well said :thumb:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
BMXman said:
well it's a bit different if you're on an FS bike vs. a HT though...D
You either have to have a some life in the derailer( at least spring tension and cogs) or the capicity to lock out the rear sus. but I have seen it done

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
so i soppose if i happen to have a fork pump with me i could just pump t o much air in to it, because i have a swinger 3 way on my trail bike,which doesnt have a lock out but if i pump like 130 psi into it it would probobly be just like a lock out right.
by the way i weigh aroung 130

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
bicycleman said:
so i soppose if i happen to have a fork pump with me i could just pump t o much air in to it, because i have a swinger 3 way on my trail bike,which doesnt have a lock out but if i pump like 130 psi into it it would probobly be just like a lock out right.
by the way i weigh aroung 130
Pretty much you want to eliminate as much travel as possible from the suspension........

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Remember you want to try to keep as straight a chainline as possible because it will jump off if it is too out of wack. That usually means the middle ring to the middle few cogs.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Well, this all sounds fun and dandy, but about as impractical as the grass in tire trick, which doesn't work at all.

It's hard enough to set up a single speed with the right stuff, and tools.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
its what my buddy had to do half way down porcupine rim last spring. took about 10 minutes to fix up, lots of shain skipping, but he got off that trail in good time