Quantcast

How do you know when to face a headtube?

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Okay, I took my bike to the LBS to get my headset pressed but on my second and "play" bike I decided to to it myself. I installed the headset without any problems with a piece of wood and a hammer. Some may cringe at this but I didn't want to spend a lot of money to build this up, because I already spent way to much on my other bike. Soooo, my question is how do you know when you need to face your headtube? Is it something that needs to be done with each new headset or a new frame or what?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Honeywell
Okay, I took my bike to the LBS to get my headset pressed but on my second and "play" bike I decided to to it myself. I installed the headset without any problems with a piece of wood and a hammer. Some may cringe at this but I didn't want to spend a lot of money to build this up, because I already spent way to much on my other bike. Soooo, my question is how do you know when you need to face your headtube? Is it something that needs to be done with each new headset or a new frame or what?

Most good frame manufactures will have the headset ready to go. If you were replacing a headset it should be ok. If its a new frame, I always check with the manufacture to see if its been done. Its not always necessary. You could have made an inexspensive press from Home Depot or any other hardware store for about $10.00

G

Gutty

So when i get my new Pacific(Craftworks), would you recomend doing this ?

Thanks for the explaination. kinda figured that was what it was.

G

Gutty

I'll give it the once over on the mill when i get the new ride then.

Thanks Acadian and Nobody