Quantcast

How has this forum effected you?

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I frequently browse this political forum, but rarely respond. The reason I enjoy reading through the arguments, and sometimes even arguing myself.... is that I like having my opinions/beliefs challenged. Often good arguments from either side will give me a fresh perspective and sway my own opinions.

I've noticed that some here seem to have the philosophy that their views are "correct" and all others are wrong. I hold the belief that our perspective on issues tends to be a product of our environment /upbringing, etc.... and I appreciate that others have different views. I guess maybe what I'm getting at is that this country would not be a very nice place if everyone was either on the left or right.

Any thoughts?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well I think you are wrong and valve bouncer is a vegimite eating criminal, BurlySurly a druggie in the closet, and ohio nothing but a roadie :devil:

I agree with you about being challenged. Since I've visited political forums here and elsewhere over the past few years, my eyes have been open and mind expanded. If you're refering to me about being hardline right and righteous sometimes... guilty as charged, but I try to limit that and only to B&W portions of a subject. I won't ruin your thread by going off into that tangent :)

However, I'm not certain as to what you're point is. I think most people are right or left, as the terms you've chosen, or more specifically, have their beliefs that are hard to change. That's a good thing cuz anyone whose beliefs are easy to change is a wishy-washy punching bag.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Its nice to see others opinions here, because well, if everyone agreed, it would just be the political agreement forum and that would suck ass. My mind really hasnt changed too much except on a few subjects where a few individuals actually made some pretty good points.
Of course, many people here cant debate without name calling, but hell, thats just a good example of their character. Sometimes though, i learn things.
Mainly i like to test the waters here so i get ammuntion for real life arguments.

Oh, and im pretty sure ohio is a roadie too.:)

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Originally posted by LordOpie

However, I'm not certain as to what you're point is. I think most people are right or left, as the terms you've chosen, or more specifically, have their beliefs that are hard to change. That's a good thing cuz anyone whose beliefs are easy to change is a wishy-washy punching bag.
Yeah, I'm really not sure what my point was either. I know what I believe, but some of my beliefs are on the right, and some on the left. I guess thats why I hate the two party system. Its like you have to choose a side, and whatever side your on, the other side is wrong.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
This is a forum on a mountain biking website for christ's sake. If anyone forms their opinions based on what is posted here then they are pretty feeble minded. This is mental masturbation at best, a bunch of blowhards (myself included) mouthing off at worst. Not to be taken at all seriously. If anyone thinks that what is said here is any indication of a posters real personality then they are very immature and in serious need of a dose of real world reality. I personally don't make a habit of talking politics with people I don't know so if I ever met any of you, your like or dislike of me wouldn't be because of my political affiliations. And if you can't handle a few insults then I guess you should go to the mummys boy forum and cry. Wimps.:rolleyes: ;)
P.S- you're all idiots except me, I'm a d*ckhead....oh yeah LO is a funny idiot. Ohio isn't a roadie but he secretly wears lycra and has been known to shave various body parts, not that there is anything wrong with that.:D :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Archslater
I guess thats why I hate the two party system. Its like you have to choose a side, and whatever side your on, the other side is wrong.
i could not agree with you more. Blind partisanship can suck my left nut! Oh crap, better be impartial, they can suck the right one too.

Originally posted by valve bouncer
This is a forum on a mountain biking website for christ's sake. If anyone forms their opinions based on what is posted here then they are pretty feeble minded...
Eh, I disagree (surprised? :D) While it is dumb to completely form an opinion based on just what's here, I've learned some things from some of the stuff posted here. Mostly tho, the opinions expressed here that have opened my mind, really just sent me to google to explore the idea further. This political forum has the most international representation of any I visit... so it's interesting to see their perspectives.

P.S- you're all idiots except me, I'm a d*ckhead....oh yeah LO is a funny idiot.
Awesome! Strong Bad Awesome even. I'd rather be funny than right or smart :D :p :cool:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by androshandrew
Its affected, effect is a noun, as in the effect of the bomb was an explosion.
It's anal, not rectum, as in, you care too much about a typo as opposed to rectum? Hell, damned near killed him!

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Originally posted by LordOpie

Eh, I disagree (surprised? :D) While it is dumb to completely form an opinion based on just what's here, I've learned some things from some of the stuff posted here. Mostly tho, the opinions expressed here that have opened my mind, really just sent me to google to explore the idea further. This political forum has the most international representation of any I visit... so it's interesting to see their perspectives.
Exactly, I'm not forming opinions based on posts, but they are always good for learning other people's perspectives and the reason why they have that particular view.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
most people don't care about what other people think. this forums give the chance for people to say something, and no one can really stop them. its kewl to see so many different arguments... and i always look forward to seeing what certain people say. it can be quite funny and trite.

i come here to practise my feminism.... i did take some women studies courses while i was at evil engineering school.

what i like about this thread is that somebody wanted to know their opinions on something that snot [sic] a political debate. as for people speaking about being correct and never wrong.... well this is not the place to admit your errors.

this forum is, by far, the most visited place by me. i try to make people laugh... yet no one really does.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Well I think you are wrong and partsbara is a moochie tool. I mean - 2 degrees and no job??? WTF??? :D :D :D
nice to know you think about me midge... :)

i think about you too honey, right when i snap one off in the morning :devil:

go ride ya 11" XC macheen, i m goin to polish my degrees... :D :D :D :D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by BurlySurly

Oh, and im pretty sure ohio is a roadie too.:)
That's "pinko-commie, hippy, tree-hugging, self-righteous, single-speeding roadie twit," to the bof' yous. And don't yous forget it.

I've learned a fair bit in this forum... though to be honest it's made me far more liberal than I ever thought I was previously. The more I argue the more I have to hammer out my own beliefs, and I keep finding the result to be far left of where I started. Not always, but a suprising amount of the time.

Sometimes it can get a bit heated, I think more as a result of misunderstanding than blatant name-calling, but if there weren't any passion or conviction, why the hell would we bother arguing?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
if I ever met any of you, your like or dislike of me wouldn't be because of my political affiliations.

Ohio isn't a roadie but he secretly wears lycra and has been known to shave various body parts, not that there is anything wrong with that.:D :D
Those two parts I would agree with (the rest.... meh.) I can't imagine holding a grudge over any of this, and would definitely hope to ride with pretty much everyone (including my nemeses: DT, manimal, and BS) here if I was ever local to them.

And yes, both lycra and shaving make me feel damn sexy... and not you, or the NRA, GWB, the ACLU, the WWF/E, or any other damn acronym can take that away me.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio

I've learned a fair bit in this forum... though to be honest it's made me far more liberal than I ever thought I was previously. The more I argue the more I have to hammer out my own beliefs, and I keep finding the result to be far left of where I started. Not always, but a suprising amount of the time.

I know exactly whatcha mean.

After about two months here, i went "Damn! When the hell did i become such a republican?":confused:

rbx

Monkey
dudes its summer go play outside!!!:D

seriously one thing that i learned on this forum is that you cant always define people into "left" or "right" sometimes their response is not what i was expecting.

this place is starting to feel like summer school im going back outside!!:) :p :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well I learn quite a lot from these post in the political forum... dumping on politicians and those that support them gets kind of old. I really get a lot of satisfaction knowing that the rest of the world perceives the US as a Big Bully. Sad for them but I'm totally down with kicking some sand now and again. :thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Serial Midget
...I'm totally down with kicking some sand now and again. :thumb:
hell ya mutha fvckas!

Sorry for the tangent, but while many see US as a bully, I see many other countries as scared or apathetic.

The only thing worse than an evil man is a good one who does nothing.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by ohio
Those two parts I would agree with (the rest.... meh.) I can't imagine holding a grudge over any of this, and would definitely hope to ride with pretty much everyone (including my nemeses: DT, manimal, and BS) here if I was ever local to them.

And yes, both lycra and shaving make me feel damn sexy... and not you, or the NRA, GWB, the ACLU, the WWF/E, or any other damn acronym can take that away me.
Awww, i'm touched...really:D i haven't posted in here for a while and yet you still remember me.

i enjoy the debates in this forum, my eyes have been opened to many subjects that i had never even considered before and it has given me a different perspective on why people believe the things they do. it has also forced me to rethink a lot of the values that i hold and why i hold them; reinforcing some and tearing down others. (but i'm not telling which ones are which:devil: )

i too use this forum as a testing ground to gain an understanding on the views of others so i can better my knowledge of the subject for any real life debates.......just a way to "know your enemy" i guess;)

i haven't been in here for a while since the war's over....not as much to talk about but i think i'll be back a lot more ........so watch out 'ya hippies!!!:D

is it just me or does anyone else think that pb really does look like bill gates? everytime we're debating, i just envision a rich geek:p

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I have been lurking here during my self-imposed exile. I love the political forum, it's entertainment. I used to (and probably will again) use this forum to bounce ideas around or try on a new idea. Mostly I just wrote stuff to entertain and impress Serial Midget who is about the only guy who lives close to me who hasn't turned into a DH racer.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by ummbikes
I have been lurking here during my self-imposed exile. I love the political forum, it's entertainment. I used to (and probably will again) use this forum to bounce ideas around or try on a new idea. Mostly I just wrote stuff to entertain and impress Serial Midget who is about the only guy who lives close to me who hasn't turned into a DH racer.
SM'S not a DH racer!!:eek: :eek: :confused: :eek: :eek:

man...and i thought he was cool all this time.:p

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I don't really follow politics and such all that closely, so you guys who battle in here actually educate me on things. I can usually tell when people are just blowing smoke, and between all the debating I actually learn a few facts. Keep the debates coming! :D

Thepagoda

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Davis, CA
I like to use this forum as a place to sound pompous and condescending. It's great, I pretend to know everything, and everybody else really knows nothing (unless they agree with me).

Well, actually, I really like this Forum. I totally agree with BS (for once!) that a political agreement forum would blow. It'd be like a "yes man" forum where everybody patted each other on the ass.

This forum offers me some reprieve from the likes of studying and helps to round out my engineering side. I like to debate in here because sometimes interesting points come up and I have to check it out a bit more, or go and get some info to support a point. It has only really changed a few opinions for me, but more importantly it has made me more aware.