Quantcast

How important is a work stand?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I've always tought it would be nice to have one...but I've always managed to do my work on my bike without it. Recently, I had to disassemble the rear end of my FSR and it was quite a pain in the a$$ to work w/o a stand.

So what do you monkey think? Who here are doing their repairs themselves without a work stand?

Thanks!

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
I love having a workstand!!! I hate doing work now without one....

Originally posted by FlipSide
I've always tought it would be nice to have one...but I've always managed to do my work on my bike without it. Recently, I had to disassemble the rear end of my FSR and it was quite a pain in the a$$ to work w/o a stand.

So what do you monkey think? Who here are doing their repairs themselves without a work stand?

Thanks!

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I have one and its ok. Im tall, and i have to sit on a chair to work on my bike. It keeps the bike stable, its doesnt wobble and it allows you to pedal w/o holding the wheel up. Its nice, but i dont know. If you want one get one. There cool

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Is it worth it to pay a lot of $$$ for it?

Do you know any work stand that's not too expensive but good? There's a Minoura that seems ok for 139$ (supergo). Is it a good deal? How does it compare to a Park PCS-1?

G

grommet

I just about finished stripping and putting one of my bikes together...on the dining room table! I now have little grease spots on the carpet. I do miss the house I used to live in 3 months ago. A whole room for just bikes and bike stuff. I miss having room for a stand:( Get one if you can... it's better than hanging it from the chandelier

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
After about 14 years of fettling my own bikes i only just invested in a stand. Always used the one at the shop or did without but bought a Minoura RS4000 on the weekend as it was cheap.

It was very sturdy without the bike on and next to a used Park one that was more than twice the price it seemed a lot more stable. I have had the DHi in it off the ground and it works well.

Tools will always be with you and good tools are an investment...God, i sound like my old man....

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by FlipSide
Is it worth it to pay a lot of $$$ for it?

Do you know any work stand that's not too expensive but good? There's a Minoura that seems ok for 139$ (supergo). Is it a good deal? How does it compare to a Park PCS-1?
I've been using this Minoura for a couple of years and it works great. $99 at Bike Nashbar and includes a tool tray.

chrisJohn

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fayetteville, AR
A stand is totally worth the money. Nothing has made more of a difference in wrenching my own ride. It depends on the person I guess though, I like to ride a bike that functions like it just came from having a tune up at the local shop, so I end up throwing the bike on the stand ever 100 miles to adjust and or lube stuff. Seriously, your friends will notice your new mechanical acumen, and being able to be self sufficient is a plus. I can't stress this enough, if you ride a lot.

A for stands, the USSBIKE makes the best repair stand, regardless of price. I bought an Ultimate Pro on closeout from REI for 140 bucks. These stands fold up out of the way quickly and are ultra stable, the tripod style works well every where not just your kitchen.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by chrisJohn
A stand is totally worth the money. Nothing has made more of a difference in wrenching my own ride. It depends on the person I guess though, I like to ride a bike that functions like it just came from having a tune up at the local shop, so I end up throwing the bike on the stand ever 100 miles to adjust and or lube stuff. Seriously, your friends will notice your new mechanical acumen, and being able to be self sufficient is a plus. I can't stress this enough, if you ride a lot.

Agreed! The farther I move from a reliance on a shop to do work, the more I know my bike, and what it will do. I am hoping my wife hooks up a stand for Christmas (I promised to build her up a new one if she did!) but until the I use the trunk rack on my Honda! As long as it is upright and I can turn the cranks and shift it freely, its all good.