Quantcast

How is Houston?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Going to apply for an entry-level geology job in Houston, but I really have no conception of the city. I've only driven through and the only things I remember are an Ikea and an REI of the highway.

How is the riding? Any good/bad things about the city that stand out?

Thanks,

Colin

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Originally posted by Colin
Going to apply for an entry-level geology job in Houston, but I really have no conception of the city. I've only driven through and the only things I remember are an Ikea and an REI of the highway.

How is the riding? Any good/bad things about the city that stand out?

Thanks,

Colin

grew up down there...houston sucks more than a $2 whore on nickel night...

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
houston is the armpit of america....steer clear... if you must, stay on the north side so you can haul ass to austin as much as possible...

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
Originally posted by Weaver
houston is the armpit of america....steer clear... if you must, stay on the north side so you can haul ass to austin as much as possible...
dude take it from weaver, thats the worst place to live, to hot no hills and big as funk. count me out. atx is where its at. don't you guys agree

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
let me put it this way... i have a couple opportunities in houston... a few teaching positions that are mine if i want them... im going to wait tables in austin instead if i dont get what i want in austin...FARK houston...

ill work at daily labor or shovel **** before i move back to htown

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
Where's mutherfooker toni to defend his bayous and traffik? I lived there for 20 years and here's how it is:
  • lots of bayous
  • high humidity/tropical climate without the tropics
  • lots of rain
  • flat
  • flood-prone
  • massive traffic congestion
  • stupid gangs
  • bad air
  • sprawl
  • dark corners that you die in

It is, however, a culturaly-diverse city. Lots of muesems, ethnic establishments. And since it's a large city, you can find anything you need/want without having to drive to, ahem, a big city. And none of that pretenstious big-city posturing that Austin tends to have. Don't knock it completely -- just mostly :)

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
I grew up in candyass suburbs & couldn't wait to get to Houston to experience life. Here's some highlights:

Learned the town on road bike. It's a fast way to learn the 1-way grid, where on-street parking is/isn't, and where the potholes are. Commuted off/on for 4yrs. Several verbal altercations w/motorists, no direct hits, but did have to jump a curb and lay the bike down to avoid a ding once.

Lived in a cheap sprawling med-ctr apt complex that is now gone. Pimps, hoes, dealers, etc. Called cops on neighbor 2x (1 for fights, 1 for dope). I have never been so apprehensive to hear "That's a NICE bike." OH yah, another favorite: "You got yo-self a GOOD-lookin' white girl."

BUT, YOU can really make what you want of living in Houston. Depending where you work, you can live in just about any kind of neighborhood you want and can afford. There is live music, just not as hapnin' as ATX. We got pro sports out the wazoo, just don't expect to see much post-season action (outside of hockey).

I'm back in the 'burbs now, riding trails and enjoying the city when I feel like it. The trails aren't awesome, but there is some variety between flat, twisty, challenging, steep, etc. I can ride dirt w/in 20 minutes of home, and have 2 great trails within 45 minutes of me. I can camp, fish in saltwater or fresh, and hunt ducks, all w/in 1hr of home.

I've spent a lot of time in ATX and wanted to live there way back when. It has a lot of trails and lots to do outdoors and at night, but it also has its share of traffic, crime, land use issues, and the rest that come w/being a big city today. BTW Austin is also one of the most segregated cities in Texas.

I'll let Toonces speak to Austin's posturing, though I don't disagree. At least Austin has its purpose (unlike a certain other large city in Texas). Houston also has a purpose: it's a seriously bigass city w/lots of work to do and a variety of people and attractions to keep us all busy. It's here to give you a job, show you a good time if you're willing to look for it, and kick your ass if you're not paying attention.

Good luck!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
toonces and fathead are spot on. It's really not the worst place in the states. i've been to some BAD places in texas and the us. stay away from stinkadena though. west, inner loop, the great white north (woodlands) and a few other places are the place to live.

_James_

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
oakland
living in houston for 18 years now, getting out for college but as a city it isn't that bad, traffic gets bad but you learn how to get around it, the riding is nothing compared to austin, basically we have gotten to the point where we built our own wooden jumps and haul them around. Like they have said before, you can find anything. but if you do come down here shoot me a pm and we can show you what downtown has to offer (its not much but its the best it gets without building stuff)

moved to seabrook back in august. I have not touched my bike since I moved here. nice thing is living on the bay, I've taken to kayaking, the only thing I can find to do. You have to drive for an hour to get anywhere. Drivers suck and do not respect a person on a bike, they do not know what a bike lane means. It's been a big shock moving from Austin to the flat lands of Houston.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
At least there's the hike&bike trail, FWIW. Do you fish? You're in a great spot for it. Plus you're only about 30 minutes from Jack Brooks Park in Hitchcock (MEAN trail!).

If you're a roadie, there are a few clubs that ride through Seabrook every week.