Quantcast

How long do handle bars last?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
To a certain extent it depends on the kind of riding you do, how heavy you are, etc. If you broke a bar once before, I wouldn't go much more than two years but others won't agree.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My CT2 lasted 8 years before I replaced them (still working though). The agreed-upon-source-for-all-things-mountainbike, MBAction, recommends a two year replacement period for all bars....

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I change my ea70 on my DH bike once a year.

I have never snapped a bar, but my friends have and it is not pretty when it does. $55 is not alot to spend compared to replacing a helmet and/or dental work when it snaps and you eat it

I usually put the used bar on my hardtail and use it for another year then bin it.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
OGRipper said:
To a certain extent it depends on the kind of riding you do, how heavy you are, etc. If you broke a bar once before, I wouldn't go much more than two years but others won't agree.
I'm a 200# gorilla.(same riding style)

Thanks

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I've heard 100 days of riding is the fatigue limit for aluminum bars. Crashes, extreme riding, or general abuse make that time shorter.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I replace my bars every 2 months, or 50 miles, which ever comes first.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Two years sounds like a decent time period for DH/FR riding. I did, however, just replace my EA70s after more than 4 years of use. No problems at all. They've been on 4 frames.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am on year 5 on my Renthals (MX bars cut down :D )

I say for most DHing you could probably run these indefinately unless they start to bend. I just bought another pair for my other bike (trail bike) I am HUGE/FAT and need that security.

Rhino

Edit: They are Renthals Trials bike bars....Some Japanese riders signature model (starts with a "K")....most other MX bars don't cross over that well.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Hmmm, i'll probably run my bars until they break. If you're hard on your stuff I'd replace them every other season unless you have a hard crash or something else out of the ordinary.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Alum: every 2 years of average to aggressive use
Cromo: if for some godforsaken reason you actually manage to bend them.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
zane said:
Hmmm, i'll probably run my bars until they break. .
Problem w/ alum is you won't know when they will break till you need dental work from the sudden failure.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
stoney98 said:
General rules:
Al - 2 yrs MAX
C - every season
Chromo - when they bend
I still have a set of Azonic riser handlebars dating back to 1998. Like new and for sale for the right price. I am telling you, these are indestructible. :rolleyes: Seriously, I have never had an issue with breaking handlebars. Just replace them when they start looking crappy (chances are they are worn then).

Edit: This post should not be mistaken for anything other than a semi-sarcastic stab at Mark, because he has to put up with me trying to put them on every new frame I get.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
stoney98 said:
He has three sets of bars that scare me. Two the black has faded out to a gun metal blue, and I fear for my teeth just holding them. Then there is the set of heavily scored Kore bars, yeah, those are safe :rolleyes: .

And btw, you only have a suzi now you nancy boy.
True,

i am going to have to change my sig to "I love Suzi"

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
My EA70's are a good 3-4 years old. I still ride hard on them. The Easton rep told me not to worry until 5 years.. seems sorta long... But they are still perfect and ive had my share of really hard landings on them.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Uh oh. I've had some ProTapers on since like '98, '99. I bent them a few months back, and I don't have the $$$$ to replace them. Does anyone know if Answer is cool with warranty stuff in regards to bars these old? The bars are pretty bent, and everyone makes fun of me for it. Both sides bent down from casing the rock jump here in SLO, and the impact rendered my broken foot even more broken for like another month. Light rehab...

My Azonic bars a VERY bent as well. The left side bent back from a wreck or something, I never even noticed. I just turned my stem a few degrees off straight (like ten or fifteen degrees, actually) and rode with it till a friend tried to ride my bike and pointed it out.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
bikenweed said:
Uh oh. I've had some ProTapers on since like '98, '99. I bent them a few months back, and I don't have the $$$$ to replace them. Does anyone know if Answer is cool with warranty stuff in regards to bars these old? The bars are pretty bent, and everyone makes fun of me for it. Both sides bent down from casing the rock jump here in SLO, and the impact rendered my broken foot even more broken for like another month. Light rehab...

My Azonic bars a VERY bent as well. The left side bent back from a wreck or something, I never even noticed. I just turned my stem a few degrees off straight (like ten or fifteen degrees, actually) and rode with it till a friend tried to ride my bike and pointed it out.
You have two choices at this point:

1) Buy new bars.
2) Buy much better health and dental insurance coverage.

I worked in a shop, but I'll spare you the lecture. Suffice to say, I've seen a few broken teeth, and a few guys that were glad they still had their boys attached down there. Replace them bars.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
My Best crash ever:

1. I pulled up on the bars.
2. They came apart in my hands.
3. Not a scratch!
[QOUTE=HATER] Every 50 miles[/QUOTE]

Are you f'in kidding?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
TURD,
Ill sell you a set of Specialized Demo 31.8 bars for $10... almost brand new (3 rides) off my wifes bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ioscope said:
My Best crash ever:

1. I pulled up on the bars.
2. They came apart in my hands.
3. Not a scratch!
Reminds of this crash:

1. Came in 3rd in hard sprint in the morning.
2. Riding on sidewalk near school.
3. Crankarm breaks.

I am not sure I even fell off my bike, but if the arm had broken 3 hours earlier, I would have brought the pack down on me.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
sanjuro said:
Reminds of this crash:

1. Came in 3rd in hard sprint in the morning.
2. Riding on sidewalk near school.
3. Crankarm breaks.

I am not sure I even fell off my bike, but if the arm had broken 3 hours earlier, I would have brought the pack down on me.
I think mine broke when I almost killed myself on dirt merchant, but it came apart right when I was rolling into school; 2 weeks later. After 5 miles of road on the way to school, small bunnyhop, bike goes in between legs, run it out. Look back, bike in peices. Good thing I didn't hit up the golf course that morning!

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
well i got some azonic double walls that are bent from running into a tree last summer. it was a lil one and i took that mofo out! dont mess with me. oh and they have white stress marks forming on them so i jsut ordered my set of brand new b-52's :D

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
Definately two years max, even on EA70s. I wasn't worried about it, until I snapped mine clean in half coming out of a berm last week, after 3 years.
Just replace them. Having a handlebar snap is one of the worst things that could possibly happen.