Quantcast

How many chinups can you do?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
For you people that workout, how many chinups can you do? That's palms facing out.

I've been working out for about six years, and just starting doing chinups a few months ago. I started on an assist machine using about 70 lbs of assist. This morning I did two sets of six reps with no assist. That's bringing my chin above the bar, and locking my elbows out on the way down. Once I can get up to 10-12 reps, I'll start to add weight using a waist belt.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wow. i can do about 4, no assist, these days. back in the wrestling days (read: 50 lbs. lighter) i'd do 2 sets of 15 during each practice... :eek: :dead:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Tenchiro
What is the difference when your palms face out that make them harder?
When your palms face out, you are using mostly your back muscles to do the exercise. When your palms face in, you use your biceps more to assist. I can do 10-12 with palms facing in.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by monkeywench
Palms in: 15-20 depending
Palms out: 10 on a good day

Wow, that's awesome! I was going to brag that I could do 4, but maybe I'm much heavier than you?;)

Now that I can't use my arm, none, but maybe one day I will rival you!!!:D

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Originally posted by Lucee
Wow, that's awesome! I was going to brag that I could do 4, but maybe I'm much heavier than you?;)
Now that I can't use my arm, none, but maybe one day I will rival you!!!:D
It's all core strength baby. Admittedly, it's been tougher since I surpassed the big 3-0. I attribute the core strength to years of gymnastics when I was a kid--very good for chinups.
Lucee, there's a retired heavyweight boxer at my gym, he does sets of one-armed chinups---maybe that will be you. :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have long arms and I'm fat. I hope to be able to do 2 or 3 sets of 12 in 2 months. My workout routine has become quite intense now that Summer is on it's way :D

I think the Navy SEAL requirement is 6. But you have to do them after the other stuff too:

a. 500-yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke in under 12 minutes and 30 seconds

10-minute rest

b. Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes

2-minute rest

c. Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes

2-minute rest

d. Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)

10-minute rest

e. Run 1 ½ miles wearing boots and long pants in under 11 minutes and 30 seconds.

But those are the entry requirements.

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Do/did any of you American monkeys have a national fitness test?

When I was in elementary school we had an annual series of physical challenges, The Canadian Fitness Tests. They tested strength, speed, endurance, flexibility, etc.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We had something like that when I was a kid, but I am not sure if they still do. I passed the test grades 4 thru 6, but fell short after that because I stopped growing for a few years. :D They handed out little patches if you passed.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I can do... ZERO! Whoo Hooo... do I win??? Actually as a cardio guy that type of excercise does not interest me. If I was a serious sprinter I would add a few strength workouts to my weekly routine. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
ugh... I can do 2, I think my temples may burst - I gave myself a headache on the second one. :dead: :dead: :dead:

Let's not do this again... :eek:

EDIT: Seriously... I now have a blinding headache. OUCHIE. :angry:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

When I was in elementary school we had an annual series of physical challenges, The Canadian Fitness Tests. They tested strength, speed, endurance, flexibility, etc.
LOL - I remember those! I used to always get the Presidential Award because I was a strong little kid.

Let's see, you had to do the push-up test, the sit-up test, the mile test...what else was there?

suga_stie

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Redlands, CA
there was also an adgility (sp?) test...

we had to run to the end of the gym, pick up a chalkboard eraser, run to the other end of the gym and put it back down... maybe repeat it a couple times...

i believe that was part of the presidental test.... or maybe it was just something our gym teacher made us do....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Heidi
LOL - I remember those! I used to always get the Presidential Award because I was a strong little kid.

Let's see, you had to do the push-up test, the sit-up test, the mile test...what else was there?
We did this in grade school - I still have my certificates with the gold label... did you save yours? They looked more than the ones from Reading Rainbow... :p :p :p

EDIT: They looked more official than... :dead: DOH!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Serial Midget
We did this in grade school - I still have my certificates with the gold label... did you save yours? They looked more than the ones from Reading Rainbow... :p :p :p
I actually might have one in a scrap book, I'll look tonight and if so, I'll post a picture of it - how funny!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by suga_stie

we had to run to the end of the gym, pick up a chalkboard eraser, run to the other end of the gym and put it back down... maybe repeat it a couple times...
The shuttle run!!!! :D

The long jump was always by sticking point. I never had a problem with anything else. :D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
The shuttle run!!!! :D

The long jump was always by sticking point. I never had a problem with anything else. :D
Oh yes, I remember the shuttle run! And yes, the standing long jump. People always cheated on that.:mad:

there was a 600m run or something like that.

my teacher told my mom that me and my friends were holding hands walking around the track.

:devil:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
there was a 600m run or something like that.

my teacher told my mom that me and my friends were holding hands walking around the track.

:devil:
ROFLMAO - busted!

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Ahhh..chins! The most neglected excersise in the gym! I satart my back day with three sets of 'em (always palm out), working down....ususally 10, 8, then 6 or 7 depending.

Question for teh group: when doing chins do you grip the bar with your thumb above or below the bar? I seem to be more comforatable with my thumb above the bar. Just curious.

:monkey:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Echo
Determining the answer to this question sounds like a lot of work. So I'll just guess: 3 :p
Wise choice... I don't usually do any chin-ups but monkey curiousity got me. After 2 I had a bad headache and today my right shoulder is all messed up. This excercise thing seems to be a bad idea. :monkey:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by jimmydean
I have long arms and I'm fat. I hope to be able to do 2 or 3 sets of 12 in 2 months. My workout routine has become quite intense now that Summer is on it's way :D

I think the Navy SEAL requirement is 6. But you have to do them after the other stuff too:

a. 500-yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke in under 12 minutes and 30 seconds

10-minute rest

b. Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes

2-minute rest

c. Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes

2-minute rest

d. Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)

10-minute rest

e. Run 1 ½ miles wearing boots and long pants in under 11 minutes and 30 seconds.

But those are the entry requirements.
For the Marines the PFT (Physical Fitness Test) minimums are 3 pull ups, a 3 mile run in 28 minutes and 50 situps (EDIT: in 2 minutes). Maximum scores would be 20 Pull ups, 18 minutes, and 100 situps. My score was 12 pull ups, 19:44, and 100 situps. First class baby.

I can do a solid 16 for palms in, 13 for palms out. 5 for one handed palm in w/ left, 4 w/ right.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I actually might have one in a scrap book, I'll look tonight and if so, I'll post a picture of it - how funny!
Check out my certificate and badge!!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Jorvik
For the Marines the PFT (Physical Fitness Test) minimums are 3 pull ups, a 3 mile run in 28 minutes and 50 situps (EDIT: in 2 minutes). Maximum scores would be 20 Pull ups, 18 minutes, and 100 situps. My score was 12 pull ups, 19:44, and 100 situps. First class baby.

I can do a solid 16 for palms in, 13 for palms out. 5 for one handed palm in w/ left, 4 w/ right.
Yeah but can you crack a walnut on your forehead?

A sub 20 5K is not bad...

for a jarhead in boots... :eek: :D :eek:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I'm not a jarhead... yet.

Actually, my hair is pretty close to looking like a jar...

I'm not an OFFICIAL jarhead yet.

I've been fooled into trying to crack a walnut on my head before. I ended up with a headache and the walnut was fine.

And that 3 mile time could have been much better, but I was (and still am) nursing a stress fractured ankle. I've run my town's Patriot's day 5k in a full 2 minutes less, back when I was in competative distance running shape. I've bulked up quite a bit, 190ish give or take, on a 5' 10" frame. Makes body weight stuff such as running or pull ups (see? a thread tie in!) much more difficult. I can't win any races against die hard XC (running) guys, but I can hang with 'em pretty good still.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i can do about 17 chinups right now depending on the day, back when i was way to competive in everything i did 25 to beat a kid in gym class. Being very light and having good core strength makes it easy...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I hear ya... I suffered a stress fracture running a mountain 50K in January but it didn't show up until mid February... I ran the Mt Si 50K on Sunday... I finished OK but it was a massive effort. I hope I am in better shape for my marathon in May. :monkey:

My fastest 5K as an adult was just under 19, right now I am around 20.

Originally posted by Jorvik
I'm not a jarhead... yet.

Actually, my hair is pretty close to looking like a jar...

I'm not an OFFICIAL jarhead yet.

I've been fooled into trying to crack a walnut on my head before. I ended up with a headache and the walnut was fine.

And that 3 mile time could have been much better, but I was (and still am) nursing a stress fractured ankle. I've run my town's Patriot's day 5k in a full 2 minutes less, back when I was in competative distance running shape. I've bulked up quite a bit, 190ish give or take, on a 5' 10" frame. Makes body weight stuff such as running or pull ups (see? a thread tie in!) much more difficult. I can't win any races against die hard XC (running) guys, but I can hang with 'em pretty good still.