Quantcast

How many chinups can you do?

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
Haven't done them on a bar for about 4 years.... when I used to do a load of rock climbing.... could do 15 fairly comfortably then (palms in) or about 10 palms out. Tried them on a fingerboard's pockets last week, and only managed 4 or 5 :(

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
During the course of a day I can do about 25 - although I have not payed enough attention to what my thumbs are doing - oh, you mean all at once, in a row?!? 3 - 4 tops. However, I will easily do 1000 crunches/sit-ups of differing varieties while watching the evil box, so I feel this makes up for my chin-inadequacies. :D Abs of steel - chins of flab :p

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Heidi
Check out my certificate and badge!!!
DOH! Just saw it... Congratultions Heidi Whiteout... :D :D :D

I don't have my patch anymore but I know I must have my certificates somewhere... it was such a big deal my mom had one framed. I'm from the Jimmy Carter generation. :eek:

Anyhow - way cool. :cool:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by monkeywench
Here's the gold patch from the national fitness test:
Wasn't there gold, silver, bronze and excellent? I have a bunch of those laying around somewhere from when I was a kid.

I was the shuttle run king. Kicked everyone's ass at that :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
DOH! Mine are not President's Physical Fitness Awards they are President's Sports Awards for biking 600 miles each season as a junior racer in 77, 78 & 79. What a rip off - as a kid who didn't bike 600 miles a summer???

All this time I thought they were something special but... the junior race director arranged for the entire team to get them. I remember the ceremony now... it was the 70s and everybody was a winner. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Jorvik
For the Marines the PFT (Physical Fitness Test) minimums are 3 pull ups, a 3 mile run in 28 minutes and 50 situps (EDIT: in 2 minutes). Maximum scores would be 20 Pull ups, 18 minutes, and 100 situps. My score was 12 pull ups, 19:44, and 100 situps. First class baby.

I can do a solid 16 for palms in, 13 for palms out. 5 for one handed palm in w/ left, 4 w/ right.
Better get that up to 20...that's where you get PFT points. Situps should be damned easy for ya, and you've got a solid score if your static events are maxxed. 288 even if you run 20 min., and you'd better be over 275 if yer gonna be an orficer.

That's the only way I get a decent score these days; I can't run anymore. Heck, even the pullups are getting harder...used to do 25 without too much problem; now 20 is about as high as I ever go. Christ, am I old at 26??

If you can find the 'recon ron' pyramid pullup workout, it's a great way to up your numbers. It was published in about 96, when they removed 'kipping' from the bag of tricks. (Geez, I could kip like 50-60 pullups when I got good at it...then they pulled the rug out from under me).

Otherwise, just start with 20 pullups at a session, however many sets it takes you. When you can do 18 or so in a session, up yourself to 25 at a time and so on and so forth.

MD

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
The 12 pullups for my PFT was done in November. This was just after a brutal soccer season wraught with injuries, so I was content with my score given the circumstances. I am shooting for a 300 now, anything less I will not be happy with in the least. I am fully confident that I can get my run below 19 minutes, approaching 18. I do 60 pull ups for my Back/Bi warmup. It usually takes me 6-7 sets. I can do a solid 18 palms in now. Getting closer. I'm going to be back to distance running on my "rest" days in a couple weeks, pending the end of Lacrosse season. Situps I've got nailed like nobody's buisness, 116 in 2 minutes as of today.

Serial Midget: Did you run that marathon yet?

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
yeah palms out wide grip is pretty hard, Funny I was just talking about this at the gym today.

I can do 3 sets of 8 but after a while I start to swing a bit, I have to work on that. A guy today told me to look back and up at the celling, it does isolate the back muscle better.

I find this excerise very hard and i have been doing it on & off for 2 years I am not able to do more than in the first month that is pretty weird cause every other excercise I have improved at lot :confused:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by Deyv
yeah palms out wide grip is pretty hard, Funny I was just talking about this at the gym today.

I can do 3 sets of 8 but after a while I start to swing a bit, I have to work on that. A guy today told me to look back and up at the celling, it does isolate the back muscle better.

I find this excerise very hard and i have been doing it on & off for 2 years I am not able to do more than in the first month that is pretty weird cause every other excercise I have improved at lot :confused:
Try strapping some weights to your waist with a dip belt. That'll give you some more resistance. Thats what I used, and I've increased my pull up max by six in 7 months despite putting on 15 more pounds.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
Doing chin-ups properly is difficult. I weigh about 148 lbs and used to be able to about 10-12, 3 or 4 sets ( that was before I broke my shoulder and then had heart surgery). Push-ups is another exercise when done with proper technique, can be difficult. Haven't gotten back to doing them yet since my chest needs to heal first.

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Back in high school I could do 26 in a row but now I would be lucky to do 10. I am one of those people that believe you should do them till failure then wait and do it again. Just doing a few sets of 8 or 10 won't help you improve, it will just keep you semi fit. Of course that is more than I do now. I have become a lazy bastid. :D

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Originally posted by Silver
Wasn't there gold, silver, bronze and excellent? I have a bunch of those laying around somewhere from when I was a kid.
I was the shuttle run king. Kicked everyone's ass at that :)
Yeah, bronze, silver, gold and award of excellence.
Shuttle run was one of my specialties too.