Quantcast

how many links could a dw link if a dw could link links?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't forget the horst link!

My god, it's fully linkaged.

hmcleay

i-track suspension
Apr 28, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
This is the first decent implementation of a 6-bar linkage for bikes.
Think of it like this:
1. A Split-Pivot (aka Trek ABP) allows you to tune acceleration and braking characteristics completely independently. Adjusting the 'main' pivot affects both Anti-Squat (AS) and Anti-Rise (AR), whereas adjusting the upper links affects AR only (has no affect on AS). AS characteristics are limited to what can be achieved with a 'single-pivot' setup.
2. A Horst-Link is pretty similar to a Split-Pivot, except the rear pivot is close to the rear axle (instead of concentric with it). This was probably useful from a manufacturing perspective, hence why it was widely adopted some time ago. Adjusting the 'main pivot' position affects both AS and AR, whereas adjusting the upper links mainly affects AR (and only has a small effect on AS). AS characteristics are very close to what can be achieved with a 'single-pivot' setup.
3. The next iteration of this should really be a 'Split-Pivot' setup, where the 'main-pivot' is replaced by a small 4-bar linkage. This would give the independent tuning of the AS and AR, as well as more advanced AS characteristics that can be achieved due to the 4-bar. However, I suspect DW didn't go ahead with this due to the whole Trek vs DW thing.
4. so the next best thing is to use a Horst-Link type setup, and replace the main pivot with the small 4-bar linkage. This should allow for fairly sophisticated AS characteristics, as well as being able to tune the AR relatively independently.

Given that a short-link 4-bar layout already provides for independent tuning of AS and AR (in theory), it will be interesting to see whether DW tunes this DW6 layout to exhibit AS/AR/LR curves that are any different from what is currently available with the 'standard' DW-Link layout.
It allows room for a drink bottle too.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
This is the first decent implementation of a 6-bar linkage for bikes.
Think of it like this:
1. A Split-Pivot (aka Trek ABP) allows you to tune acceleration and braking characteristics completely independently. Adjusting the 'main' pivot affects both Anti-Squat (AS) and Anti-Rise (AR), whereas adjusting the upper links affects AR only (has no affect on AS). AS characteristics are limited to what can be achieved with a 'single-pivot' setup.
2. A Horst-Link is pretty similar to a Split-Pivot, except the rear pivot is close to the rear axle (instead of concentric with it). This was probably useful from a manufacturing perspective, hence why it was widely adopted some time ago. Adjusting the 'main pivot' position affects both AS and AR, whereas adjusting the upper links mainly affects AR (and only has a small effect on AS). AS characteristics are very close to what can be achieved with a 'single-pivot' setup.
3. The next iteration of this should really be a 'Split-Pivot' setup, where the 'main-pivot' is replaced by a small 4-bar linkage. This would give the independent tuning of the AS and AR, as well as more advanced AS characteristics that can be achieved due to the 4-bar. However, I suspect DW didn't go ahead with this due to the whole Trek vs DW thing.
4. so the next best thing is to use a Horst-Link type setup, and replace the main pivot with the small 4-bar linkage. This should allow for fairly sophisticated AS characteristics, as well as being able to tune the AR relatively independently.

Given that a short-link 4-bar layout already provides for independent tuning of AS and AR (in theory), it will be interesting to see whether DW tunes this DW6 layout to exhibit AS/AR/LR curves that are any different from what is currently available with the 'standard' DW-Link layout.
It allows room for a drink bottle too.
That's all fine and dandy on paper but what I really want to know is will it make me win a WC downhill race and an EWS race on the same bike? Also will it grant me more money than Bill Gates? If so I could have a bunch of fun humiliating the UCI.....