Quantcast

How many of you ladies dirtbike, too?

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
KPicha said:
Wow, I know this isn't the appropriate place for this kind of discussion so I AM REALLLLY Grateful for your kind tips!! I wish you guys lived closer so I had someone to see me through the baby steps of getting started. It seems that there are hardly any groups in this area that "cater" to newbies, unlike the mtn bike world where everyone is so willing to lend a hand.
:D
Try www.mxgirl.com. It's kinda fun. :)

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
dhjill said:
Try www.mxgirl.com. It's kinda fun. :)
Funny, I saw that site last week and followed a link from there to a site that offered MX classes for complete beginners, one of which is in Irving, TX, where my sister lives. I told her about it and now she wants to go! :D I'm such a good influence :devil: :)

Yeah, the new TT-R125LEs (electric start one) are at $2600 but the dealers around here are "willing to work with me" on pricing. Not sure how much, maybe a hundred or two but I doubt anymore than that so, I am keeping my eyes open for a used one within a couple of hours driving distance. I've seen some new ones in TN and OH for $2100 but the shipping cost would negate the savings :(

Oh and for helmets, I saw these http://www.rockymountainmc.com/home.asp?sid=0004952830 Are they, "ooooo, stay away from that brand!" helmets or "Go for it" ones. I'm liking the A.R.C. ones.

So, TreeSaw, are you still following this thread? Getting any closer to picking one up? ;) :devil: I bet, secretly, your husband wants you to get one, that way he'd be justified in getting one for himself. And how many guys do we all know, that really want motorcycles but someone says "No" :D

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
KPicha said:
Oh and for helmets, I saw these http://www.rockymountainmc.com/home.asp?sid=0004952830 Are they, "ooooo, stay away from that brand!" helmets or "Go for it" ones. I'm liking the A.R.C. ones.
If I were you, I would try and get the best helmet you can afford. It's your brain you're protecting, here. Bell, Arai, Fox, M2R...there's lots of good brands. Most all the larger companies put more money into the R & D process...there's a reason why the better helmets cost more money. Like I said in a previous message...skimp on stuff like pants, gloves, jerseys, chest protector...but put some money into buying quality boots and helmet. :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DH Diva said:
Get the boots asap! Other than your helmet they are the single most important piece of gear you can own!! Even an experienced rider can come around a turn, lean into the low bushes, and find a big old stump with their shin. $100 for boots up front is much cheaper than a busted up leg/foot and the associated doctor bills. Having a nice stiff boot also helps with shifting and your feet don't get so tired so fast.
:thumb: True on that!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
dhjill said:
If I were you, I would try and get the best helmet you can afford. It's your brain you're protecting, here. Bell, Arai, Fox, M2R...there's lots of good brands. Most all the larger companies put more money into the R & D process...there's a reason why the better helmets cost more money. Like I said in a previous message...skimp on stuff like pants, gloves, jerseys, chest protector...but put some money into buying quality boots and helmet. :)
While not all helmets are created the same....they all are tested to be good helmets. Snell and DOT have criteria for helmets to pass before they sell them as dirt bike helmets.

While cheaper helmets may saound scary the do the same job as well as others. It comes down to fit and comfort. Cheaper helmets have a polycarbonate shell (normally) They are often lighter than the fiberglass bretheren that take up the mid price helmet field. As you go more expensive you get into exotic materials like Kelvar and carbon fiber. This pushes the price up and brand name carries a price with it too. My head has never fit into a Shoei helmet right....no matter how much I could spend it was teh wrong helmet. I found a MSR helemt that fit right for $129 on close out at a local shop. That was the helmet for me.

Same with boots....fit over price is important. But for trail riding and learning she doesn't need mega buck boots. She isn't leaping 60ft triples she is looking for support and function. Even a decent inexpensive lace up boot will do that....especially when not racing MX.

KPicha,

For a low cost option I suggest Oneal's Element group. Rocky Mountain MC.com had a add in the magazine Iwas reading last night and it looks like you could be covered head to toe for under $300 easy. I looked at their website and couldn't find the package deals they listed in teh magazine. It might be worth a call.

In the same amgazine they had a Beginner bike review (including the TTR SRF's DRZ and KLX's) and also an article about ladies and moto.....how to get started etc. Perfect timing...I guess. they had links and contact info for various lady oriented groups our schools

I beleive it was Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider magazines and it had Ricky Carmicheal an his new 450CRF on teh cover. It is a new magazine so you should be able to find it....about $5 at the magazine rack. ;)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
KPicha said:
Ok, well, I trust your judgement so I guess it'll be helmet and boots first. Those things are so freaky looking.
Too true!!! The boots I ended up with are a pair of Sidis, white with black accents. They look like the freakin' storm trooper boots in Star Wars!!!! Cracks me up almost every time I put them on. But I agree with everyone that a good helmet and boots are a must. And if you do get a bike with a kickstart, you'll be liking the extra support from an MX boot. I don't know how your feet are though, but I found MX boots to be like helmets.....gotta try 'em on to know which is comfortable. I ordered a pair of O'Neals that are now collecting dust (still have to sell 'em!) because I put my foot in and just knew they wouldn't be comfortable to be in for a few hours. My Sidis feel like slippers, but good lord those slippers can get pricey!! I tried so hard to stay away from them (knowing how comfy their mtn shoes are) and tried on every other pair of boots before finally trying on those and feel in love! (That's what I get for having such big wide feet...lol!)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Velocity Girl said:
(That's what I get for having such big wide feet...lol!)
Biting tongue.........

ah heck

You do have some freakish duck feet don't ya? :D who luvs ya VG...apperantly not me ;) j/k Hope you and the family are closer to being settled in over there.......> ont eh left coast WAAAAAAAAAAY over ---------> there. :D

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
RhinofromWA said:
Biting tongue.........

ah heck

You do have some freakish duck feet don't ya? :D who luvs ya VG...apperantly not me ;) j/k Hope you and the family are closer to being settled in over there.......> ont eh left coast WAAAAAAAAAAY over ---------> there. :D
LOL! Why yes they are a bit on the freakish side ;) I've had these clodhoppers since I was 11 years old :eek: I had a teacher who loved the phrase "Act your age not your shoe size" Well, he had to bite his tongue they day he said that to me because my age was my shoe size :p Just wish I was taller to balance everything out!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Velocity Girl said:
Just wish I was taller to balance everything out!
Seems to me with feet that size you had no problem balancing as a child....:)

Oh damn I am on fire! lol Your feet aren't big...you filled out nicely. ;)

It's that 6th toe that freaks me out (j/k everyone, she only has 5...I :think: ).

VG I better be seing some pics of you and Freak having fun out there soon! Maybe I will have to visit Jessah with a little detour over to where you are at....

but I need to build up some vacation time....alot actually. :)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
RhinofromWA said:
Seems to me with feet that size you had no problem balancing as a child....:)

Oh damn I am on fire! lol Your feet aren't big...you filled out nicely. ;)

It's that 6th toe that freaks me out (j/k everyone, she only has 5...I :think: ).

VG I better be seing some pics of you and Freak having fun out there soon! Maybe I will have to visit Jessah with a little detour over to where you are at....

but I need to build up some vacation time....alot actually. :)
One would think I would have balance....but I actually have the grace of an elephant at times!

If you come out to visit Jessah we can always make a trek to PA or meet somewhere in between. You know what a crush Freak has on your gal so I'm sure he won't argure ;)

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Ok, changing the subject here for a sec ;)

I got to sit on a CRF150 yesterday and the suspension felt much better than the TT-125LE. It didn't sag under my weight. Not sure if that's a good thing or not but I would guess that it is.

It felt like a great fit, too and it had a button on the left side, just inside the grip so I'm wondering if that was an E-start button. All the sales guys were busy and the kids were climbing on the little bikes so I had to be quick and didn't have a chance to ask.

I could touch the ground with both feet but not quite flat footed. One thing that has me concerned, though is the weight. I'm afraid that when I fall over, I won't be able to pick it back up again. The 150 is bigger than the TT-R125 but only by about an inch and it is about 30lbs heavier. So, at this point its boiling down to a used CRF150 or TT-R125LE but I'm leaning towards the CRF b/c of its growing room and I've been reading about the TTs having a little bit of a problem starting cold. The only thing holding me back is the weight on the 150.
And did any of you just go out on your own and learn how to ride? I can't seem find anyone or anyplace to learn with, other than my court and I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't be too happy about hearing one those going up and down the street.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
KPicha said:
Ok, changing the subject here for a sec ;)

I got to sit on a CRF150 yesterday and the suspension felt much better than the TT-125LE. It didn't sag under my weight. Not sure if that's a good thing or not but I would guess that it is.

It felt like a great fit, too and it had a button on the left side, just inside the grip so I'm wondering if that was an E-start button. All the sales guys were busy and the kids were climbing on the little bikes so I had to be quick and didn't have a chance to ask.
I am betting it is a Kill-switch (stops teh motor) Do Hondas have round black nubs or are they red square plastic units? :think:
Suspension is going to be similiar except for the springs most likely....and some sag is needed but not to much. A shop should be able to let yo know if you need a different spring.

I could touch the ground with both feet but not quite flat footed. One thing that has me concerned, though is the weight. I'm afraid that when I fall over, I won't be able to pick it back up again. The 150 is bigger than the TT-R125 but only by about an inch and it is about 30lbs heavier. So, at this point its boiling down to a used CRF150 or TT-R125LE but I'm leaning towards the CRF b/c of its growing room and I've been reading about the TTs having a little bit of a problem starting cold. The only thing holding me back is the weight on the 150.
Out of the dozen TTR's and DRZ's and CRF's general starting has never been an issue...that I have heard of. Generally there is a starting ritual ... especially with 4 strokes (like you are looking at) and it just takes a little experience to get it down. Soon you won't have to think about it. Only seen the CRF 230 battery dead once(I can't remember teh exact culprit)....99% of the time it is starting like all the rest.

I have faith you can pick up a 150 CRF. Now if it was a Harley you might need the some help. It is a bunch of technique and little muscle. :D When picking a bike up, use you leg as a stop half way through and use your whole body to get it up. Hips and legs are what are going to do the majority of the lifting. What is the CRF150 like 190lbs? and the TTR 170Lbs?

I stand on the handlebar side and grab the grips. I then basically do a squat and if I can't get it up all the way, or need a pause, I slip my knee uder the bike to take a breath and then finish lifting buy pushing withmy leg and my hip tilting the bike up all the way still hold the bars. I have raised behemoths from some insane perdicaments like that. :)

I think the vast majority of the time you would not have a problem picking up any of those bikes. Even tired, jsut means a couple more pauses. The ladies in the club don't seem to have issues with the bieks weight.

And did any of you just go out on your own and learn how to ride? I can't seem find anyone or anyplace to learn with, other than my court and I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't be too happy about hearing one those going up and down the street.
My father made me prove to him that I could ride a bicycle without training wheels before I could get a bike. I never used training wheels on a motorcycle and (though I was 5yo) probably spent most of my formative miles in gravel/dirt parking lots and simple trails. :D now you are not 5yo so Maybe some general riding around the house or culdesac. The 125 and 150 are not loud....heck offer the neighbors a spin. ;) then everyone is happy. I would like to see riders familiar with the controls before they have to worry about trees! lol.

Practice starting cold and hot also...so you have that expereince to. Find local clubs like mine (www.stumpjumpers.org) to go out with and meet others riding. I belong to a family Motoclub and there are a handfull just in Western WA.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Yep, it sounds like it was the kill switch. A little black box on the Honda and a little red button on the Yamaha. The Honda ones look like something one of the shop guys rigged up at the last minute whereas the Yamaha one looked "professional".

Someone on another board mentioned shop set-up fees in a post. Does that have to do with setting the suspension up? And he was saying it was anywhere from $200-$300!! :eek:

So, all in all, would which would you say costs more between dirtbiking and mtn biking as far as maintance/replacement parts goes. It seems that a lot of costs go towards entrance fees to different parks and tracks. Not like we have in mtn biking.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
KPicha said:
Yep, it sounds like it was the kill switch. A little black box on the Honda and a little red button on the Yamaha. The Honda ones look like something one of the shop guys rigged up at the last minute whereas the Yamaha one looked "professional".

Someone on another board mentioned shop set-up fees in a post. Does that have to do with setting the suspension up? And he was saying it was anywhere from $200-$300!! :eek:

So, all in all, would which would you say costs more between dirtbiking and mtn biking as far as maintance/replacement parts goes. It seems that a lot of costs go towards entrance fees to different parks and tracks. Not like we have in mtn biking.
Kill switch is a kill switch....I wouldn't worry about them.

Set up fees means they took it out of a box, filled it up with oil and gas, mounted the handle bars and front tire.....that will be $300 bucks please. I am not sure but any sort of warranty requires the shops prep the bikes. Mind you it is rare if at all that something breaks to fall under warranty. It isn't the MTB world so don't expect much support if you come in with a bent handlebar. :) Suspension set up is normally not the deal....no replacing of springs or anything...though when buying new you may be able to hagle that type of help.

I don't think the upkeep cost are much different. It depends on how much you ride....1 weekend a month with the family? Forrest passes (buy an annual....you need it for MTBing in the areas also) Parts for bieks depends on what you break/wear out. Tires? When I was rippening on a dirt bike 1-2 weekends a month and racing a knob ripping 250cc race bike I would replace my tires like once a year. Some replace them much more frequently.....but I didn't. I ran them down pretty far. :) Rear get changed much more than fronts....much more. Gas, chain lube, sprocket and chain once a year...again all depends on how much you ride and the conditions you ride in. Plastic (when you crash) can be repaired with a drill and zip ties.

For MTB I am always replacing tires, tubes, chains, derailers, rotors, pads...etc. Moslty DH oriented. Forks, seat posts, etc..........

You will still have your MTB right?

A TTR/CRF/DRZ/KLX will be less wear and tear on parts than any bike I rode. You save a lot of money doing maintenance yourself. Like on MTB's the more you can do teh more you can spend on stuff other than labor. Tire changes are tougher on a bike. ;)

On a bike like you are looking at. I can see items that might need replacing in the first year as:
levers (crash)
gas (cuz you burned it)
oil/filters (does a body good
and chain/sprockets (stocks normally don't last as long)
Maybe H-bars (If you crash)

See how alot of the stuff happens when you crash....now remember they won't all break when you crash. They bikes are tougher than that....but they are bits of metal stickingout and can break in a fall.

You could ride the bike for 1-2 years with little more than gas, oil & filter, chain lube.....just keep the bike maintained.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Ok, cool-that's what I was hoping to hear. $300 for piddly stuff though. Oh well, what can you do.

Sounds like I'd be spending the same or even less at this point than on my Mtb. Just got new cranks/bb, wheels and brakes this year so I hope it'll be a long while before I need anything else :blah: :) Talk about a money pit! :rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Also...if you ad youru hubby are up to it.

On a new bike especially. The headset is normally in need of more lube than fro the factory and most bolts need loctiting. The bolts like the plastice pannel bolts, seat bolts, etc. They tend to rattle loose and it is just good to get them right away and not have missing bolt problems later. :)

Are there any dirt bike clubs in your area?

Oh and did you get that magazine I mentioned? In the RockymountainMC.com add they have an oneal Gear closeout for under $300. Helmet, boots, Pants, jersey, gloves, some other armor....no return policy on closeouts so trying some one first might be a good idea. There were other gear brands on closeout too.

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
RhinofromWA said:
On a bike like you are looking at. I can see items that might need replacing in the first year as:
levers (crash)
gas (cuz you burned it)
oil/filters (does a body good
and chain/sprockets (stocks normally don't last as long)
Maybe H-bars (If you crash)

See how alot of the stuff happens when you crash....now remember they won't all break when you crash. They bikes are tougher than that....but they are bits of metal stickingout and can break in a fall.

You could ride the bike for 1-2 years with little more than gas, oil & filter, chain lube.....just keep the bike maintained.
I have had my bike 6 months, riding 2-3 times a month, and I have already had to do the following:

-replace the levers (not 'cause they were broken, but because I needed to get ones with a smaller reach- just like mtbing)
-buy new handlebars - the stock ones are really weak - I bent them in a crash
-buy new front brake line - also broke in above crash
-change the oil every 5 rides
-change the oil filter every 10 rides
-lube the air filter every couple of rides
-rebuild the fork - leaking seals

I am also in need of a new rear tire - probably only have a couple of more rides out of it.

I think I do more maintence on my moto than on my bikes. I try to wash it after every ride - you have no idea how much mud those things can collect! Changing the oil is a new thing to me, so it takes me quite a while. I have also been told to inspect all the bolts on a regular basis. The rest of the stuff my bf does for me - I am just the tool holder.

Out here in Socal, it is a minimum of $20 every time you go to the track. Gas is not too bad - 4 strokes go a long way on a tank.

I thing that frustrates me the most about moto is the fact that I can't get my bike in my truck by myself. There is no way that I will ever be able to push 210 lbs up a ramp :mad:

Gear - I get a lot of gear cheap off the Fox website - they have a clearance section that has a lot of good deals. As for boots, I bought a used pair off some kid who is a sponsored rider - he used them once, then sold them to me for $100. Turns out they are $350 boots that were specially made for him in a small size - bonus for me since I was having a hard time finding good boots in my size - too big for kids, but too small for men's.

Anyway, good luck with whatever bike you choose. As Rhino has pointed out, maintenance is very important and will prolong the life of your bike.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Yep, I got a hold of that magazine. Its already a wrinkled, well worn magazine with my 5 yr old having gone nuts over it and wanting me to show him which bike and gear I wanted to get :)

Well, it looks like all the pants/jerseys have sold out already at Rockymountmc but Donelson's has some good stuff and great prices, too! Fox stuff, at least in mtn biking tends to run really small and I can't fit into anything they have but I'll check them out for boots.
Oh I did see some Sidi boots for $100 on that motonation website. Looks like the same kind of deal as yours, OCDH.
I need to sell off some more of my coin collection before I can start buying gear. Donelson's has some REALLY good deals, though! :)

As far as clubs go, there are only two that I know of. I'm in the process of joining one but I'm getting the feeling that I'm not welcome unless I already have a bike and am an intermediate rider. I need to look into the other one more and see how they feel about beginners. I have a suspicion that I'm going to be completely on my own, though.

So, I'm keeping my eyes open for a nicely used CRF150F or a TT-R15LE :)

Oh, are FLY racing boots worthwhile? They're part of one of the packages.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
OCDH said:
I have had my bike 6 months, riding 2-3 times a month, and I have already had to do the following:

-replace the levers (not 'cause they were broken, but because I needed to get ones with a smaller reach- just like mtbing)
-buy new handlebars - the stock ones are really weak - I bent them in a crash
-buy new front brake line - also broke in above crash
-change the oil every 5 rides
-change the oil filter every 10 rides
-lube the air filter every couple of rides
-rebuild the fork - leaking seals

I am also in need of a new rear tire - probably only have a couple of more rides out of it.
Dang :eek: I neglected to mention cleaning the oiling the air filter! Thank you. :o: The airfilter keeps the engine breathing dirt free....but it used oil to stop teh dirt particles. The

I have never needed to replace a brakeline on a bike ever. My fahter did once. It happens but is not close to routine....guess you have a decade or so before your next one. :D Fork leaking? I had them go maybe like once every 1-2 years.

I think I do more maintence on my moto than on my bikes. I try to wash it after every ride - you have no idea how much mud those things can collect! Changing the oil is a new thing to me, so it takes me quite a while. I have also been told to inspect all the bolts on a regular basis. The rest of the stuff my bf does for me - I am just the tool holder.

Out here in Socal, it is a minimum of $20 every time you go to the track. Gas is not too bad - 4 strokes go a long way on a tank.
She isn't motoing she is trail riding so there shouldn't be track fees. And yes, checking bolts is a very good thing.

I work on my DH bike more than I ever worked on my dirt bikes. And I don't crash to much on my DH bike...cuase I ride so slow.

I thing that frustrates me the most about moto is the fact that I can't get my bike in my truck by myself. There is no way that I will ever be able to push 210 lbs up a ramp :mad:
What bike do you have? 250 4stroke MX'r? You have an oil filter and it wieghs 210lbs and you take it to the track....Is it someting else?

I suffer from short-leg-itus so it was cumbersome to get in and out of the truck. What kind of truck? have you looked into a rail trailer? They are low to the ground and the ramp angles are low.

Gear - I get a lot of gear cheap off the Fox website - they have a clearance section that has a lot of good deals. As for boots, I bought a used pair off some kid who is a sponsored rider - he used them once, then sold them to me for $100. Turns out they are $350 boots that were specially made for him in a small size - bonus for me since I was having a hard time finding good boots in my size - too big for kids, but too small for men's.

Anyway, good luck with whatever bike you choose. As Rhino has pointed out, maintenance is very important and will prolong the life of your bike.
Website manufacture closeouts are good sources too :thumb: Fox, Oneal does, etc.....

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
RhinofromWA said:
"I have never needed to replace a brakeline on a bike ever. My fahter did once. It happens but is not close to routine....guess you have a decade or so before your next one. :D Fork leaking? I had them go maybe like once every 1-2 years."

Unfortunately, I crash quite a bit. I am really trying to work on cornering, but apparently you need to use the back brake, which I haven't figured out yet.

"What bike do you have? 250 4stroke MX'r? You have an oil filter and it wieghs 210lbs and you take it to the track....Is it someting else?

I suffer from short-leg-itus so it was cumbersome to get in and out of the truck. What kind of truck? have you looked into a rail trailer? They are low to the ground and the ramp angles are low."

Yes, I have a Yamaha 250F - I love it! It is relatively easy to ride and start, but I wish it was 2" lower. My truck is a Tacoma PreRunner, so my dream ramp would be something really long that would somehow fold up really small. Or one of those super cheater racks that attaches to the hitch and has the electric switch to raise and lower the rack. I am pretty sure those aren't cheap though :angry:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
OCDH said:
Unfortunately, I crash quite a bit. I am really trying to work on cornering, but apparently you need to use the back brake, which I haven't figured out yet.

Yes, I have a Yamaha 250F - I love it! It is relatively easy to ride and start, but I wish it was 2" lower. My truck is a Tacoma PreRunner, so my dream ramp would be something really long that would somehow fold up really small. Or one of those super cheater racks that attaches to the hitch and has the electric switch to raise and lower the rack. I am pretty sure those aren't cheap though :angry:
The rear brake is the pedal on that right foot.....;) lol. I think hamfisting the front will put you in the dirt faster.....how are you with the front? I live and die by the rear brake. :o: :cool:

Sweet! 250F :thumb:

Often I looked for little rises to back up to so I could unload and load bikes...it makes it that much easier. I have seen others use step stools (bike stands) to help jump up into the back of their trucks. But a hillside works better.

DO NOT try and ride your bike up into the truck......:o: trust me. :D Sounds like a good idea but it only takes one miss at that ramp......:D

They make wider ramps that fold for ATV's....one for your bike and one for you...that could be an option. I think a small low trailer wouldn't be a bad idea....no hieght issues.

I am out for the weekend. Everyone enjoy themselves....I am taking my fathers 2000 Harley Heritage Soft Tail out. :) and am going to enjoy this beautiful WA weather we are having.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Hey, OCDH, Have you thought about lowering your bike at all?

Here's an interesting thread about that with some manufacturer links http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1217408/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

and maybe this will help with your loading/unloading issues? I don't know if you want to spend that much but at least it might help.
http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=si-450

Yeah, I don't plan on doing any MX but most of the riding places around here charge a fee for trail access anyway, around $25 or more.:( And people are not forthcoming with riding info to boot. I feel like I'm pulling teeth out of a donkey looking for local places to ride.

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
KPicha said:
Oh, I just came across something else that will attach to your hitch that looks easy for loading/unloading at $295 it doesn't look toooo bad. Its cheaper than a trailer anyway :)

http://www.ultimatemxhauler.com/index.html
Wow - just saw this as I was on travel for the past week and a half - Thanks for the tip KPicha - that thing actually looks pretty cool - and it's the same red as my truck!

As for lowering my bike, I thought about cutting down the seat, but is looked like so much work that I just decided to learn to ride it like it is.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
OCDH said:
- and it's the same red as my truck!
:think: :D hahahaha

lowering my bike, I thought about cutting down the seat, but is looked like so much work that I just decided to learn to ride it like it is.
It is a cheap option to try.....it isn't that hard. new seat from SDG will set you back less tha $100 if I remember right. That is if you totaly mess it up.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
OCDH said:
Wow - just saw this as I was on travel for the past week and a half - Thanks for the tip KPicha - that thing actually looks pretty cool - and it's the same red as my truck!
Ok, I must be dumb or something b/c I can't figure out how you're supposed to get the bike on that flat part in the first place! Do they really expect us to life the front wheel over it or scoot the bike up and over it? I don't get it
:confused:

Oh by the way, I've decided on a CRF230 unless I can check out the new Yamaha TT-R230 before I take the plunge. :thumb:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
KPicha said:
Ok, I must be dumb or something b/c I can't figure out how you're supposed to get the bike on that flat part in the first place! Do they really expect us to life the front wheel over it or scoot the bike up and over it? I don't get it
:confused:

Oh by the way, I've decided on a CRF230 unless I can check out the new Yamaha TT-R230 before I take the plunge. :thumb:
Roll it up next to it and then throw it on with your hip....just like a MX stand/crate. I don't hink you have a lot to worry about there....unless the clearance of the CRF230 is a LOT lower than a MX bike. Even then a simple hip lift will get the bike on there.....or you could always ask a guy near by.

Men normally have no problem helping a female rider when asked....the cool guys anyway. ;)

Mooven

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
Everywhere, USA
Moto discussion, wahoo:)

It was great to see this forum with so many posts, I was starting to think that I was the only girl with a moto addiction. And I don't even have a bike yet. I've ridden the 125ttr-le, and found that within my first few hours of riding at the track that it wasn't enough bike for me. I then took a XR-85 to the track the next day, much more fun. More power, more suspension, and a bike that is geared for track riding. I bottomed out the suspension on the 125ttr within half and hour of riding it (and this was my first time on a moto and I'm only 5'1). I haven't decided yet which bike I am going to purchase yet. Looking at a CRF250R and a YZ125. Every boy I know is trying to talk me out of a two stroke, telling me I'm going to end up six feet under, but it would be dirt cheap, as opposed to buying a new CRF250R. Another friend of mine who teaches motocross has suggested a CRF150, which would be nice since I could get on and off the bike comfortably, but the suspension concerns me a bit for going to the track. I want a bike that I can ride both track and trail on, but I see myself riding more track than trail for a while. I'm also a little skeptical about buying a new CRF150 because I don't want to spend a bunch of money to grow out of a bike quickly, and since I haven't been able to ride one yet I don't know if it would keep me entertained for at least a year. I plan on riding as much as possible.

I've seen a few of you guys are from SoCal, how is the track riding out there? I am thinking about moving back, I've been in Colorado for the past three months recovering from surgery from a DH accident.

Oh, and with what little I do know about moto, good boots and a good helmet seem like the things not to skimp on. I laid myself out at the track the other day and was very thankful for both :thumb:

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I haven't checked in here in a while, but I have a dirt bike too (a DR-Z250). I've been really happy with my bike - good low end for the technical trails we tend to ride, and I'm tall enough that the size just feels right to me.

I think it's great cross-training for mountain biking, not to mention just plain fun! I tend to hurt myself more riding DH - I think the extra coverage from boots helps keep me from getting as scraped and bruised as much... You can hurt yourself doing anything if you try hard enough! ;)

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
He, he yeah fun topic! :D I'm at the point now where I thought for sure I was going to get a CRF230 but the weight really has me bothered so now I'm considering a KX100. I haven't sat on one yet so once I have a chance to do that, then I'll know whether or not it'll be a good fit.

Mooven, if you know you're going to be riding on tracks, the KX100 gets really good reviews from owners as having smooth power and the suspension is perfect for tracks and trail riding. But the gearing would need a little modification for trail riding. You said you're only 5'1" so you would probably want to look into lowering the suspension. Oh, the CRF150 is a trail bike and the suspension isn't setup for track riding so more than likely, you'd grow out of it pretty quickly (from what little I know ;) ) Anyway, I can't wait to start riding!

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Okay, guys and gals, here it is! I finally picked up a KX100 yesterday and boy is that thing FUN!! and F-A-S-T!

For my very first time out on a motorcycle, I think I did all right. Kick starting was easy-got it on the second try b/c the first one was too wimpy. Then rode around and got up to third gear and realized I was about ready to have a heart attack-lol! So I quit while I was ahead. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are some pics of the kids sitting on it. Funny, if you look at my 2 yr old's mouth, you can probably guess what he's saying! :love:

Attachments

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
KPicha said:
Anyway, here are some pics of the kids sitting on it. Funny, if you look at my 2 yr old's mouth, you can probably guess what he's saying! :love:
In the first one he is saying "How is mommy going to cook me breakfast in a full body cast?"

or

"5 more years and I can ride that baby! :D"

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I that third picture he has his lip placed perfectly for an "F" word...:D What'chu be teach'n dem kidz o'er der? lol

That right the big grand dady, the F Bomb. lol Fuuuuuuu.....dggggggge

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Sweet bike...just "keep it under 60 OK?"

Vroomvroom? Hardley the kids will figure it out and run around the house going..

Ring-a-ding-ding-ding RING-a-ding-ding-ding

ReeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing-a ding-ading-ding-ding

And then when the bikes get bigger it is Braaaaaaap!

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
LOL! Yeah, they're already running around the house doing that. Especially the 2 yr old. He cracks me up- everytime he sees a motorcycle on the computer he starts running up and down the hall doing the throttle thing.

I can't wait 'til they're old enough to ride with me!!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
KPicha said:
LOL! Yeah, they're already running around the house doing that. Especially the 2 yr old. He cracks me up- everytime he sees a motorcycle on the computer he starts running up and down the hall doing the throttle thing.

I can't wait 'til they're old enough to ride with me!!
:D I still do that throttle thing. :o: :)

I started riding when I was 5ish (4 1/2 or so) My father made me learn to ride without training wheels on my bicycle first and then never put trainers on my dirt bike. My first bike was similiar to the Suzuki JR50's of today. No clutch, one gear, twist the throttle and go.

Some kids start sooner and have training wheels....I would advise against it. because the parents always end up with 50ft of rope tied to the bike and running behind the kid so they don't run into anything. Just make them waite until after they are riding a bicycle comfortably. Plus it delays buying bikes for your kids a year or more. :D

Have you found a trailer or hitch mounted rack? I saw int eh back of DirtRider they have a tray system that works sorta like a Sport works system. A arm comes down on the seat and hold the bike upright in the tray on a receiver hitch. Eith a short ramp it shouldn't be to hard to handle and might work out for you. I didn't write the companies name down....sorry.

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
Kpicha -

You have an excellent riding area and club in northern VA. The area is Taskers Gap in George Washington National Forest near Edinburg. You will want to get a little riding experience first because the trails are very rocky, but fun rocky for an intermediate or experienced rider. Actually, a TTR or CRF will do better on the rocks than the short wheelbase KX100, which tends to get bounced around. There are about 22 miles of ORV/multi-use trails there. I live in CT, but I ride there once or twice a year when we have bad weather up north. The club that maintains the trails and works with the U.S. Forest Service there is http://www.NVTR.org

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I've heard really good things about that club. I'll have to check them out soon when they have their monthly meeting.

Tasker's Gap is supposed to be a lot of fun, too, so I've read and it has a beginner's loop so I'd like to get a little riding under my belt before heading there. Looks like I'll be heading up to Rocketraceway in PA for my first "group" ride! :D

Rhino- Is the Add-a-bike thing? I plan on getting that as soon as I have the "extra" funds.Just have to sell some stuff first but I've had my eye on that for about a month and have heard nothing but good things about it so I can't wait to get my hands on one. :) I have to be content to ride up and down my driveway for now :(