Quantcast

how much cardio?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I've been doing a bit of research and everything I've found has said I need to do about 30 minutes of cardio a day to burn more fat.

for the last two weeks I've been doing 200 jumping jacks in the morning, then some stretching, sit ups, pushups and one or two minutes of running in place. this takes about 20 minutes and my heart rate is increased the whole time.

this 20 minute workout is great, I feel energetic throughout the day but I'm wondering if I'm burning extra calories or if I need to be doing more cardio.

also, how high do I need to get my heart rate for it to be effective?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Fat burning occurs between 165 and 185% of max HR. 20 minutes is not enough... try 8 hours a week. :evil:
Damn 165HR? No wonder I am getting fat. The highest I have ever gotten mine is 100%:eek: :eek: ?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Westy
Damn 165HR? No wonder I am getting fat. The highest I have ever gotten mine is 100%:eek: :eek: ?
Hehehe - I think there was a typo!

Also, pnj - try to do it in the morning so you start the day out with your metabolism "kick started".

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I always get in over my head with these questions....

I am doing the 20 minutes in the morning. I've noticed I'm drinking less coffee as a result as well. (not that I drank much anyways but down from 2 cups to 1/2-1)

8 hours a week sounds good. some people have lives midge.;)

how do I figure out what my max HR is?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by pnj
----

now what?
Figure out what 65%-85% of that is and that is your fat burning range. After you exercise for about 20min at that level, you body stops using carbs as it's fuel and starts burning fat.

At least that is how it was explained to me.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
math sucks.

75% of 187? (i just took the middle of 65-85) is 140.25 or something..

so...
now I need to get my HR up to 140ish and keep it there for how long, 30 minutes? each day?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This would be easier on a bike - just go out and pedal nonstop for at least 40 minutes 5 days a week. I doubt that you could increase your heart rate to the required level with the workout you've described.

BTW - you do need to push it - I can just ride along at about 120 or 60%. Hardly any effort at all... so no pay back.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
This would be easier on a bike - just go out and pedal nonstop for at least 40 minutes 5 days a week. I doubt that you could increase your heart rate to the required level with the workout you've described.

BTW - you do need to push it - I can just ride along at about 120 or 60%. Hardly any effort at all... so no pay back.
i can do jumping jacks all day long......:p

yea, I know a few people that can ride for miles on the road but can't get one mile in the woods, because they have to move more of their body then they are used to, they get wore out faster.

so basicly you need to be breathing hard for 40 minutes or so?

does it matter if it's daily or if I go out and ride for six hours on saturday will that be close to the same? (not that I am going to be doing that, just curious)

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Your cardio needs to be consistant and often.
I agree. I do 3 days a week in the winter, 2 days during the warmer months when I'm also riding 2-3 times a week.

Weights for the upper body, and situps w/resistance. Then 30-45 minutes of cardio. (eliptical machine) The best thing about the gym equipment is they have built in heart rate monitors so you can keep the HR up around 150. If you don't have / or want a gym membership, you might want to invest in a cheap Polar HR monitor.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Fat burning occurs between 165 and 185% of max HR. 20 minutes is not enough... try 8 hours a week. :evil:
For real? 8 hours?

I do cardio 6 days a week for 45 min to an hour. Lift weights for about 30 minutes 2-3 days a week, ride after work 3 days a week for about 1 hour, do a long ride on Saturday(time varies), and play soccer on Sundays.

I know I do more than the adverage bear when it comes to cardio, but if I didn't ride or play soccer I woun't make the 8 hours a week cut.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I used to ride my bike 40 hours a week.

worked 40, rode 40. I was in really good shape back then......(15 years ago)

Aug 22, 2002
If you ride a bike already it may be best to include weight bearing cardio to build bone mass. Cyclist are more prone to osteo.

Jumping rope is good for cardio and weight bearing.