Quantcast

How much difference does 1.2cm make?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm looking at a 2006 specialized roubaix elite- my buddy's shop has one that's brand new, sitting in the attic, and I apparently can get it for a very good deal. The bike is perfect for me, but it's a size medium and I probably should be a size large. I did a competitive cyclist "e-fitting" and it came back with a 56.5-56.9 frame size. The specialized comes in at 54.8.

I've never ridden road before, and I'm just entry level in the sport. Is it worth picking up anyways, and giving it a shot, or should I wait for something better to come along? I don't have a lot of experience road riding, but I would like to make sure I'm comfortable...

So, how significant is that 1.2cm? Worth passing on the pretty good deal and waiting for a better fit complete? Worth picking up, and if nothing else, selling the frame for something more adequate?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I wouldn't dream of a bike that is over 1 cm short in the TT myself, but if it's what it takes to get you going.

That said...you most likely won't enjoy riding something that doesn't fit.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Short answer is that 1.2 cm is a lot when it comes to road bike fit, and from what I can tell 1.2cm is based on the smallest recommendation from comp cyclist, so you might be talking about more like 2 cm.

Before you go any further, however, make sure you are comparing the same measuring points. Is comp cyclist's definition of a bike size the same as specialized's? Do they both measure from the BB to the same point? How about top tube length?

It will probably be ok to give you a sense of whether you like road bikes at all. You can compromise by using a longer stem or moving your seat back but those changes can impact stability, pedaling comfort, efficiency, etc. And there is always a chance a bad frame size will skewer your impression and make you think ALL road bikes are uncomfortable, cramped, or squirrely

Since you don't know much about this stuff you should probably get a pro opinion. If he's really a friend your "buddy" at the shop should be honest with you about whether the bike is just too small. For a second opinion you could always walk into a different specialized dealer and ask what size they think you should ride.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I assume by frame size you mean top tube length (?). If you just mean seat tube length, it really doesn't mean much.

In any case, 1.2 cm might not be a huge deal, especially if the fit calculator isn't totally accurate. But if you are legitimately buying the bike from a shop, especially if you are friends with someone that works there, it is their responsibility to sell you a bike that fits. If you can go there, take out the guess work and get a professional opinion.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, it's in the top tube.

Problem is there's only one bike @ this price...it's 4 years old, I think, but never been ridden. It's also 25% of the MSRP.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, it's in the top tube.

Problem is there's only one bike @ this price...it's 4 years old, I think, but never been ridden. It's also 25% of the MSRP.
I that really that good of a deal? I would rather buy a bike that fits used on Ebay. Tons of good stuff to choose between.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Meh...1.2 cm....

I'm 6'7" and riding a 58cm 'cross frame when in all reality I should probably be riding a 64cm (or larger) road frame...but I deal cause it was all I could afford at that moment. I ride about 5k a year on it and did a double century in 14 hours. It works. 1.2 cm....meh....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I didn't ride it around, but I did sit on it. It felt good but seemed a little small, more low than not stretched out. I did ride in the parking lot on his bike, which is a 54, and felt reasonably OK on it.

Part of me thinks it'll be worth it just to get out there, and to possibly sell'n'swap into a larger frame if the need arises....I won't ride road religiously, but I would like to compete in a few tris this summer and possibly get out on the road when I can.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
There is a lot of good frames for little money out there, if the parts are good go for it.

Heck you might end up liking a smaller frame anyways.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I would just do it.

I don't think your fit is precise by any means. I know from custom fitting, even your measurements could be wrong, so if it is close to a centimeter, it will probably be ok.

Unless you are 6'1" or taller, medium should be ok.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
At that price, you might as well try it out. A used frame won't set you back that much if it really does not fit and causes you problems.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
if it's that good of a price then go for it. try it out for the season and see if it works for you. if not, strip the parts, sell the frame/fork off and buy something that fits.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Meh...1.2 cm....

I'm 6'7" and riding a 58cm 'cross frame when in all reality I should probably be riding a 64cm (or larger) road frame...but I deal cause it was all I could afford at that moment. I ride about 5k a year on it and did a double century in 14 hours. It works. 1.2 cm....meh....
Dude, pm me sometime. We have a team bike sitting here a could sale you for peanuts. Would prob fit you better