Quantcast

How soon after a cold can I get back on the trainer?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So I've had a nasty cold for a few days, and I've felt completely drained all the time and if I had tried to work out I would have probably spit out a lung. Today I still feel like crap, but I feel like I might be able to ride the trainer. Will doing it cause my cold to get worse again? Or will it help get rid of it faster?

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Man, Echo that sounds nasty. You shouldn't do anything on a bike for, oh say about 1-1/2 months. Then get back into it slowly, carefully.

Just lookin' out for ya.

(hope you feel better soon)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
If it's below your head, which it sounds like it is...I'd take it easy. There really isn't any rule as to how long you should wait. I've always heard that it can make you worse to ride if it's already in your chest, otherwise, chances are you won't get worse. I'm not sure though. Try it, and if you feel like crap, just stop and drink beer instead! Clear enough?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Silver said:
Sometimes sweating a bit helps me break a cold...I'm trying that theory on myself tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works :D
Yah, soemthing about if it's in the wee early stages, you can increase your blood cell count and that helps fight away the bad germs...I'm not very medically technical though. :)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Echo said:
So I've had a nasty cold for a few days, and I've felt completely drained all the time and if I had tried to work out I would have probably spit out a lung. Today I still feel like crap, but I feel like I might be able to ride the trainer. Will doing it cause my cold to get worse again? Or will it help get rid of it faster?
Here's what I think, I've heard it takes 2 days after for every day you're sick to recover. Imo as soon as you feel good enough to be able to ride or train a bit, go fot it. I mean nothing hard at all just very easy and short spin on a trainer. I find I get better and rebound faster after a cold if I try to get some exercise in. I like to think it gets your blood flowing so it will chase the germs around faster and kill them faster, thus making you healthy agian. :p

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
this is a direct quote from the bike doc

BBranham

To paraphrase an old expression train a cold rest a fever. You may not be up to full bore interval training but do some easy spin and distance work till you are feeling better. You body won't be as toleratant of full bore intervals and high intensity training.

Thanks,
answering this queston:
Base training with a cold
What opinions do you have on this - train or not to train. I am in base phase right now and hate to loose time but don't want to become sicker or be counter productive

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
i'll just restate what a few others have said.

for me, if it's a head thing, i'll either be a lazy slug, or do a very easy ride if i'm absolutely going stir crazy.

if nasty lung stuff, i pretty much wait until i'm no longer hacking up lung butter. yes, that is an approved medical term.

and no on any kind of workout for me if i have a temp over 99F or so.